Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 05:58:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it wrong...  (Read 6996 times)
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 07:41:53 AM

Is it wrong to end your life even though it will hurt those who somehow happen to value you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Alex Beckenham

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 07:47:53 AM

Is it wrong to end your life even though it will hurt those who somehow happen to value you?

Not at all. You're not responsible for other people's feelings, despite what they might tell you.

Seems you're asking if it's wrong to be 'selfish'.

myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 07:51:39 AM

Atlas, You know as well as I do that your life is yours...

But there are better ways to deal with your problems than quitting.

Haters gonna hate. Fuck 'em.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Anonymous

July 20, 2011, 08:09:51 AM

It's not the haters. I just don't feel like playing anymore. I haven't felt like playing more and more often. It's getting hard. I think I can keep going. I can presume I will feel like living soon. I hope.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:20:10 AM

Yes, and this is actually a good motivation to get through particularly tough periods in life. It's still your life at the end of the day, but if you care for those people you won't want to cause them suffering. Beyond that, it would be unfortunate to end any potential in the spark of life one has been given (or taken, if you prefer).
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:21:12 AM

It's not the haters. I just don't feel like playing anymore. I haven't felt like playing more and more often. It's getting hard. I think I can keep going. I can presume I will feel like living soon. I hope.

You know, it's certainly not wrong to seek help for these sorts of things. That's what they're there for. You've got a pretty good head on your shoulders. It would be a shame to waste it. If you need a number to talk to someone who can help you, PM me.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
digigalt

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:35:43 AM

We don't agree on anything, but I would never want another human being to end their own life just because we disagree on the Internet.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:45:27 AM

Atlas you need to do some prison time you'll understand what I mean if you ever do.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:49:01 AM

I know from your previous posts that you've felt like this before and come through the other side.  There's no shame in reaching out to the health professionals you've mentioned before and letting them know that you're struggling right now.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699

Your Minion

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:53:22 AM

Highly do not recommend health professionals. Get out hang with some friends, ride a bike, do something and when you do it only think about what you're doing. A wandering mind is dangerous.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
smellyBobby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:56:48 AM

Yea go see a health professional. I don't get why there is such a stigma around shrinks. Historically people would see priests about their issues. The community held priests in high esteem for such things. So why aren't shrinks held in the same regard ?  

Anyways if your not going to talk to someone about it you should consider exercising, sex, and even swimming in a near freezing lake. A Russian study found that people who would swim in a near - freezing lake had close to no mental health issues. Although you could argue that you need a mental health issue to swim in a cold lake! Scientists think that the stress caused by the cold water upon the nervous system has some sought of inoculating effect.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:59:31 AM

Anyways if your not going to talk to someone about it you should consider exercising, sex, and even swimming in a near freezing lake. A Russian study found that people who would swim in a near - freezing lake had close to no mental health issues. Although you could argue that you need a mental health issue to swim in a lake!

Cheesy I guess I agree with more than one of your posts.

smellyBobby

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:06:55 AM

Ohh and ideally you should be sleeping properly. This means sleeping when it is dark. Research shows that if your circadian rhythm is not synchronized properly then you have a significantly higher chance of many illnesses, not just mental.

Trivia: Scientists observe that cultures that have no artificial lighting have the following sleeping pattern: Wakeup just before sun-rise. Nap in afternoon. Sleep soon after sunset. Wake up for an hour in the middle of the night. Sleep.

Studies have been done in Mongolia and somewhere else. Based on this scientists assert that ideally we should be having a nap in the arvo and waking up for an hour in the middle of the night.

I need a job!!!!

Justice Dragons: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16351.msg267881#msg267881

Help me buy deodorant!!! 17bmVSoD8QNBLaPDRAXkFdapBPdgA72YjB
V4Vendettas

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:58:54 AM

Atlas you dont know me and I will never even meet you. I'm on the other side of the planet.
Just wanted to say you have had an impact on me and I wish I had the words to express my gratitude.

Whatever your choice and it is your choice I thank you.

PS.

The world that you wish was a better place will be lessened if you leave it.

nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:03:39 AM

1ESG4qM68ZU2X3QD5R3ywv1LSRVRWQaVdT

May I have your bitcoins?
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:07:00 AM

I disagree with almost everything you say, but I enjoy your show and the online debates. You are the age of my children and have much to learn, but you have a lot of potential.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
J180

Activity: 121

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:10:07 PM

I'm 22, I had the same hardcore philosopher vibe going at 18 so my advice might be useful. The trick for me was appreciating the small things. Such as when you eat food, to think about how much effort goes into ingredients, how lucky we are compared to people in the past, things like that. Same with taking walks, sun and trees, those simple things which despite their complexity are too easy for intellectuals to dismiss. I believe the trick is to not dismiss them.

Of course it might of just been natural changes in brain chemistry. So I haven't had the chance to test it to confirm, which would involve being really cynical about everything for a few months and seeing if it makes life depressing. But from observing other people I think I'm probably right.
Tawsix

Activity: 210

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:17:18 PM

Wrong as in you should be stopped from doing it?  No.

Wrong as in you're a selfish, spineless worm?  Yes.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 12:17:47 PM

small things ... like walks, sun and trees ... Of course it might of just been natural changes in brain chemistry.
Same thing really. Walk, sun and trees cause certain types of changes in brain chemistry. Immersion in virtual worlds in front of a glowing screen causes other types of changes in brain chemistry.

The first type tends to lessen the feeling that one is burdened by paranoia and depression. The second type tends to increase those same feelings.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 01:15:19 PM

We don't agree on anything, but I would never want another human being to end their own life just because we disagree on the Internet.

Off Topic:

digigalt, I have the following to add to another discussion, but the the quote button is missing on that thread:

Winston Churchill was once informed that one should not end a sentence with a preposition. His response was, That is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put.

The keyword is "pedantry" you used. Hint: Atlas
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: