Bitcoin Forum
December 06, 2016, 10:25:43 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ufasoft CPU Miner - Mac OS X (Snow Leopard) Build Thread  (Read 4186 times)
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:53:16 AM

I'm going to have a good hack at this to see if I can get it to compile on Mac OS X. The limiting factor right now appears to be the use of jwasm which doesn't seem to like compiling on the ice kitty with full SDK installed. Someone here appears to claim that he/she has a Mac with jwasm working - but I've had an initial try at compiling and it doesn't work.

Hence, I've got two options:

1. Work on getting jwasm to compile and install properly, then work on compiling the rest of the miner;
2. Look at which assembly code is included in the source, and use other Mac tools like nasm to build it.

I've got nasm successfully building a boggo hello-world app in x86 on my Mac Pro. I'll need to find if there are specific features of jwasm used by ufasoft's miner that nasm doesn't support...

I'm a pretty experienced Mac hacker but x86 assembly is pretty new to me (for obvious reasons... my good old Quad G5 monster-box is sitting idle next to me too Smiley along with its insane PSU for the insane water-cooled G5 power consumption, which may actually make a rather decent mining box - it has great cooling fan systems and lots of PCIe slots... - off topic though, will put a thread in the hardware section).

Will continue to update this thread as I go along. I didn't want to add this comment to the 54-page main Ufasoft miner thread, because this is Mac-specific and the three or four comments asking for Mac OS X support in the main thread seem to have been ignored.

And given that CPU mining is 'pointless' - why bother with this anyway? Well - there are a lot of people with Macs out there. Not only that, but Macs, traditionally, have really lousy graphics cards (or insanely expensive ones). But the Pro machines have very powerful CPUs... the first Mac Pro was the cheapest Xeon *professional workstation* on the market, undercutting Dell, remember? And whilst memory bandwidth isn't a requirement for mining, I'm hoping that the superior Xeon CPUs in all Mac Pros should be faster than the retail Intel stuff that most gamers and PC enthusiasts tend to buy.

After all, if you've got a design shop with a few tens of new Mac Pros, you've got LOTS of Xeon CPUs sitting there doing sod-all when idle Smiley On top of that, I'm getting worried with all these people running GPU mining software on their Macbook Pros and other Apple laptops... the Pro laptops are right at the limit of thermal capacity as it is, and not designed to run the best part of a thermal virus on their GPUs. Apple laptops are thin and light - best in class - at a cost. I've personally overheated a few Apple laptops and they save themselves by throttling down, but this isn't good for longevity or performance. And we buy Apple kit because it lasts, right? Like my Cube and TiBook, all still running 24/7 after 10 years... However, the machines *are* built to sustain maximum CPU usage (albeit with a very hot metal case and blasting fans) - since many Pro apps (Final Cut and Logic will max your MBP out used on the road) are heavy on CPU.

I had a choice of paying £377 for a 5870 card for my Mac Pro (without being able to overclock it)... currently using a 4870. So I bought three 5850s and am building a ghetto Linux box to use these things Smiley But it'd be useful to get the Mac doing something with its big Xeons. Also, I've got 11 other Mac boxes here and Ufasoft's miner appears to be efficient enough to get another 100 MH/s for the lulz...

All advice / assistance welcome! Cheeers!

...catfish

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
bigb159

Activity: 169

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:50:12 PM

Hey Catfish, let me know if you get anywhere. I've access to 4 or 5 macs which, as you say, sit around idling a lot. GPU mining gets me nowhere on my Macbook Pro, and I'm not really interested in replacing a video card anytime soon due to overheating. I'd love to know about the better mac-friendly CPU mining software out there.

Trade your Litecoin, Namecoin, Terracoin, Devcoin and IXcoin for Bitcoin: Vircurex
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 994

Professional filmmaker/Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 05:54:13 PM

I'd like this to be available so I can finally ditch rpc miner on my macbook pro as it's really inefficient compared to Ufasoft.

It needs to be easy to setup like Diablo miner on OSX

[This signature is available for rent]
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 06:26:05 PM

Well, CPU mining for Bitcoins is pretty futile, so I ended up flashing a random 6870 PC card I had lying around and hacked an EFI firmware in, so I could use the faster GPU under OS X.

Phoenix gets a paltry 140-150 MH/sec using this setup. I have a lot of big screens with lots of windows open, which must put some stress on the GPU.

So I sort-of gave up on the CPU Mining plan... until I heard of Litecoin.

Litecoin is heavily biased towards CPU mining. The standard Litecoin client - supposedly available for OS X - doesn't run on my Mac boxes (all 10.6.8 ice kitty). I can compile from source, bizarrely enough, but the client fails immediately on startup.

That hasn't dissuaded me though. There's a super-optimised CPU miner from ArtForz which 'may' work... well - it *does* work. With a few hacks, I got it compiled on OS X and, with a pool account (client doesn't work yet, so no wallet for now...), my 4 yr old Mac Pro is delivering around 21 kH/sec according to the Ozcoin pool.

A hashing rate of over 20 is pretty damn good, according to the Litecoin hardware comparison guide...

So now to see whether the Hackintosh boxes with newer CPUs (one has an i5-2500) can get anywhere near the speed of my ancient Mac Pro...

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2011, 07:46:34 AM

Well, CPU mining for Bitcoins is pretty futile, so I ended up flashing a random 6870 PC card I had lying around and hacked an EFI firmware in, so I could use the faster GPU under OS X.

Phoenix gets a paltry 140-150 MH/sec using this setup. I have a lot of big screens with lots of windows open, which must put some stress on the GPU.

So I sort-of gave up on the CPU Mining plan... until I heard of Litecoin.

Litecoin is heavily biased towards CPU mining. The standard Litecoin client - supposedly available for OS X - doesn't run on my Mac boxes (all 10.6.8 ice kitty). I can compile from source, bizarrely enough, but the client fails immediately on startup.

That hasn't dissuaded me though. There's a super-optimised CPU miner from ArtForz which 'may' work... well - it *does* work. With a few hacks, I got it compiled on OS X and, with a pool account (client doesn't work yet, so no wallet for now...), my 4 yr old Mac Pro is delivering around 21 kH/sec according to the Ozcoin pool.

A hashing rate of over 20 is pretty damn good, according to the Litecoin hardware comparison guide...

So now to see whether the Hackintosh boxes with newer CPUs (one has an i5-2500) can get anywhere near the speed of my ancient Mac Pro...
How did you do to get it compiled on a mac?  I'm running Lion 10.7.2.

autogen threw an error the first time I ran it, but not the second.

Code:
$ ./autogen.sh
configure.ac:15: installing `./compile'
configure.ac:4: installing `./config.sub'
configure.ac:6: installing `./missing'
configure.ac:6: installing `./install-sh'
configure.ac:4: installing `./config.guess'
compat/jansson/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
Makefile.am: installing `./INSTALL'
configure.ac:60: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_MSG_ERROR
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.

configure dies with a syntax error.

Code:
[bwstitt@leafblower cpuminer]$ ./configure
checking build system type... i386-apple-darwin11.2.0
checking host system type... i386-apple-darwin11.2.0
checking target system type... i386-apple-darwin11.2.0
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... ./install-sh -c -d
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and -o together... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking syslog.h usability... yes
checking syslog.h presence... yes
checking for syslog.h... yes
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for json_loads in -ljansson... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
./configure: line 5081: syntax error near unexpected token `LIBCURL_CHECK_CONFIG'
./configure: line 5081: `LIBCURL_CHECK_CONFIG(, 7.10.1, ,'

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.