Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:03:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 320 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Official Thread: AMT  (Read 678349 times)
Stan-O

Activity: 267
Merit: 250

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:07:26 PM

will i make $6000? for those of you confused out there.

No.

...and you will end with an useless machine that serve no other purpose than generate random numbers.

ouch... can you sugar coat that a little?

WHAT IS amt GOING TO DO IN REGARDS TO THEIR MINER PROTECTION PROGRAM?

I mentioned the Miner Protection Plan, and how i could get it applied to my order at about the 6th week into my wait, and suddenly got a "your miner has shipped yesterday" email.  a week later it showed up.  

I've been battling with posting a review, since Jim was very nice, and very helpful, once my rig finally showed up.  If he has to go through the process of setting up with each customer, he's doing it totally wrong.  a 1 page instruction sheet could have saved him the 30-40 minute phone call, and the countless follow up emails.

But, even as nice as he is, i have to write the truth about my experience with AMT.  The good and the, umm,...  not so good.

7 weeks to deliver, when promised 3-4.
almost no response to emails about the delayed order.
Miner Protection Plan.....  uh yeah, good luck with that.  i think 7 weeks would qualify for this, as the rig will never make back the money i spent on it(ROI), much less turn me a profit.  questions about MPP are completely ignored.  
Fedex was part of the delay, and they refunded AMT the shipping costs, and when i asked for a refund of said shipping, i was told i'd get a credit on my next purchase. don't see me making another purchase, but it's the though that counts?
I had to tear the unit apart and reassemble in a more logical configuration, for better cooling and to actually get both boards to hash at the same time.  
1 board with 15/16 chips hashing.  #16 get dupes but no Nonces.  This should have been corrected during the testing process, of which i'm told there was a lot of.  Pretty sure it's a bad solder job or something along those lines on the bad chip.  It looks a little funky around the edges.

I spent about 5 minutes with Q-tips and some alcohol, cleaning all of the "extra" thermal paste from the board/chips.  It was a sloppy mess. I mentioned this to Jim, as tidiness adds a lot to the overall customer experience.  Who wants to get a piece of expensive hardware with thermal paste slopped all over it, like a 4 year slapped the paste and cooling unit onto the board?

They did make good on a speedy replacement of the blown board.  Maybe now they have a supply on hand, and are delivering in a more timely manner? Maybe i got lucky and caught them on a good day when they had them in stock?  I never did get a response on the status of this replacement, despite 4-5 emails asking when it would be returned.  1- "We got it, and are shipping it back to you" email would have saved the subsequent 4 emails asking about it.

The unit does hash above rated specs.  80 GH miner does about 84-88GH.  

i like the cobbled together description.  80gh miner includes:

2- technobit hex16b boards
1- tplink controller-  1 screw holding it kinda crooked, and sticking out the back of the case.
1- no name 7 port usb hub
1- 300w psu.  unknown maker
1- case.  Lian-Li case.  actually a nice little box, made of metal with a nice paint job and AMT logo stick-on thingie.
2- usb cables, when it should have been 3.

usb ports on the front of the case do nothing, as they're not hooked up.  could be for expansion?

i run the rig with the "guts out", and screwed to the top of the open case, since i dont have a better mounting solution.  leaving the boards inside the case would most likely lead to death by overheating.

Rig is quiet the way i have it set up.  It was actually quiet when everything was inside the case.  I disconnected the internal case fan, since it's doing nothing with all the parts sitting on top of the case.  Minimal noise from the 4 small fans mounted to the heatsinks on the boards.

Had to shake out the extra screws and packing stuff form inside case.  First time i turned it on, there was quite the noise, from parts flying around inside.

Packing.... uh, yeah.  back to the 4 year old.....

Nothing innovative about their designs.  They are purely a reseller/repackager of technobit mining boards. At least on the smaller rigs.

DO your homework before spending your money. When calculating your expected return, try to factor in what the projected mining difficulty will be in twice the promised delivery time, and then double that. it may be close to the difficulty and income when the unit actually arrives.  Had i figured in an end of January delivery date, and the exponential explosion in difficulty of bitcoin mining difficulty in the 2 months it took for my rig to be delivered, there's no way in hell i would have shelled out $1660(1500+expedited delivery fee of $160).

Do yourself a favor, DO NOT pay extra for the quicker shipping.  in the grand scheme of things, it's not worth it, you will not get your miner any quicker.

hopefully somebody can benefit from my experience.  live and learn.....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:40:27 PM

Stan-o, I have the same unit as you, and other than the bad board, about the same experience (except costs, as they gave it to me to review). All I would add to that was that I left mine as configured, and haven't had any issues with heat. Well, I do run it without the cover. I think at half the price and half the delivery time, it'd still be worth buying, but I don't see those conditions coming to pass.
Stan-O

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 08:56:04 PM

Biomech-

for half the price, and on time delivery, you can get an antminer s1.  they lowered their price to 1.438 btc, which is $743 at btc price of $517.   and you get more than twice the hashing power.

the 3rd USB cable i added myself, is a bit long, so i had issues with getting it all stuff into the case without something hitting a fan.

did yours come with the proper cabling?  1usb to tplink power connector, 1 usb from tplink to usb hub, 1 from each board to the usb hub.  4 usb cables in all.  or did yours magically work with the 2nd board hooked to the power connection on the tplink controller?  lol  i think mine actually showed the board hooked to the power connection the very first time i turned it on, but only briefly, and never to been seen again in that configuration.

i never got both boards to hash at the same time until i hooked in the 4th usb cable(making both boards connected to the usb hub).
sirminesalot

Activity: 1148
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:11:07 PM

Stan-o, I have the same unit as you, and other than the bad board, about the same experience (except costs, as they gave it to me to review). All I would add to that was that I left mine as configured, and haven't had any issues with heat. Well, I do run it without the cover. I think at half the price and half the delivery time, it'd still be worth buying, but I don't see those conditions coming to pass.

Let's not forget that you also got yours for free, whereas Stan had to shell out money for his.

Stan, the question is - If you were able to return that miner for a FULL refund, would you?

If yes, perhaps you should try. It sounds like you have great reasoning to demand one.

Thanks again for the in-depth review.
Casiriahmine

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:22:27 PM

Why would someone post that I work for AMT?

I am a new miner, doing things by the books. I am a 25 year old Active Duty Air Force Member, who is taking up this as a second job(maybe third job, if you consider full time college). I am going down there with my video camera on THURS/FRI and video-taping their financial building.

Also, any other functions they allow me to video tape. Do not think I work for AMT for a second, I am a pissed off customer who was told 26-28 FEB for delivery date, then I got told 17, 18, 19 MAR? I don't think so, that's horseshit.

My business - Merry Miners... is going to mine bitcoins and sell them IN person at a higher price then internet priced exchanges. Yet, I would only do sales of bitcoins physically, in person to person sales. Sort of like a physical exchange of Bitcoin? This is all brainstorming at this point.

My fellow miners should look into doing something similar, it will take it off the internet and make it real.

I will tell of my discoveries when I go there THURS/FRI, and put the speculations to rest.

Good luck to my fellow miners,

~Casey A. Merry~
~Merry Miners~
FrictionlessCoin
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

Cryptotalk.org - Get paid for every post!

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:29:05 PM

Why would someone post that I work for AMT?

I am a new miner, doing things by the books. I am a 25 year old Active Duty Air Force Member, who is taking up this as a second job(maybe third job, if you consider full time college). I am going down there with my video camera on THURS/FRI and video-taping their financial building.

Also, any other functions they allow me to video tape. Do not think I work for AMT for a second, I am a pissed off customer who was told 26-28 FEB for delivery date, then I got told 17, 18, 19 MAR? I don't think so, that's horseshit.

My business - Merry Miners... is going to mine bitcoins and sell them IN person at a higher price then internet priced exchanges. Yet, I would only do sales of bitcoins physically, in person to person sales. Sort of like a physical exchange of Bitcoin? This is all brainstorming at this point.

My fellow miners should look into doing something similar, it will take it off the internet and make it real.

I will tell of my discoveries when I go there THURS/FRI, and put the speculations to rest.

Good luck to my fellow miners,

~Casey A. Merry~
~Merry Miners~

Best of luck!  Looking forward to your videos.

Did you inform AMT that you are going to visit? 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 09:58:26 PM

Biomech-

for half the price, and on time delivery, you can get an antminer s1.  they lowered their price to 1.438 btc, which is $743 at btc price of $517.   and you get more than twice the hashing power.

the 3rd USB cable i added myself, is a bit long, so i had issues with getting it all stuff into the case without something hitting a fan.

did yours come with the proper cabling?  1usb to tplink power connector, 1 usb from tplink to usb hub, 1 from each board to the usb hub.  4 usb cables in all.  or did yours magically work with the 2nd board hooked to the power connection on the tplink controller?  lol  i think mine actually showed the board hooked to the power connection the very first time i turned it on, but only briefly, and never to been seen again in that configuration.

i never got both boards to hash at the same time until i hooked in the 4th usb cable(making both boards connected to the usb hub).

I never took it apart. Other than having to figure out the mining interface (which is straightforward for the most part), the thing just worked. It did ship without a power cable (which he told me in an email), but that was the only thing missing. I assume that it has the proper cables, as it has never given me a problem.

And yeah, I know about the antminers. They are likely my next purchase. But for the true beginner, at the above conditions, this would've been a good way to get your feet wet. The ants have everything sitting out in the open, which I can see a newbie killing either the machine or hisself that way Smiley

Funny, at the time these were announced, I didn't think Bitmain would be able to deliver, let alone become the "go to" company in bitcoin mining. My powers of prediction are not great.

Given that you can get an Ant within a week, I can't see any reason to invest in AMT at this time. I had really hoped they would get it together, be able to ship "in hand" units after the first round of pre-orders, and give Bitmain some serious competition. AMT has the better tech, if they got their shit wired. But 55nm today is better than 28nm "someday soon".

Also, when you contact Bitmain about anything, you get a quick response. Sometimes the use of english is a bit difficult, but they don't leave you waiting.

I stand by the machine. I like it, it works good, and it's quiet. I can't stand by the company, whatever my desire.
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 10:01:02 PM

Let's not forget that you also got yours for free, whereas Stan had to shell out money for his.

Stan, the question is - If you were able to return that miner for a FULL refund, would you?

If yes, perhaps you should try. It sounds like you have great reasoning to demand one.

Of course. That was why I mentioned the cost. I was paid, in essence, whereas Stan-o pretty much got shafted by the delays. I'm not proud of that, nor saying it to rub things in. Just for full disclosure. I try to be very honest in everything I do. Had they followed through on their various promises, I would try to pimp this company. As it is, I have to recommend against them. Dammit.
sirminesalot

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:38:11 PM

Biomech,

The antminers might not have a case but in my opinion they probably run a lot cooler and more efficient this way.

The computer cases aren't really necessary at all; most people run their mining hardware (boards) in milk crates or out in the open for optimal air flow.

Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:46:38 PM

Biomech,

The antminers might not have a case but in my opinion they probably run a lot cooler and more efficient this way.

The computer cases aren't really necessary at all; most people run their mining hardware (boards) in milk crates or out in the open for optimal air flow.

True enough. IRL, most people who know me think it's weird that I build computers without "proper" casing, but it seems most bitcoiners are on the same page. I'm not used to being the "sane" actor Cheesy
sirminesalot

View Profile
February 25, 2014, 11:57:51 PM

Of course. That was why I mentioned the cost. I was paid, in essence, whereas Stan-o pretty much got shafted by the delays. I'm not proud of that, nor saying it to rub things in. Just for full disclosure. I try to be very honest in everything I do. Had they followed through on their various promises, I would try to pimp this company. As it is, I have to recommend against them. Dammit.

It too bad AMT decided to conduct business this way.

I'm still wracking my brain as to why they'd send you one for free. I'm starting to think, like the other guy said; that it was to rouse up more investors when someone on this board posted that they were hashing with one of their miners.

Either way it looks like amateur hour in turns of how those earlier miners were built. Like two guys sitting there with a table full of random computer hardware, and somehow were able to turn out a few miners. Consistency was an afterthought; and if whoever shipped the miners actually waited to hit the bong after the miners were packed, maybe parts/cables wouldn't have been left out.
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:07:07 AM

It too bad AMT decided to conduct business this way.

I'm still wracking my brain as to why they'd send you one for free. I'm starting to think, like the other guy said; that it was to rouse up more investors when someone on this board posted that they were hashing with one of their miners.

Either way it looks like amateur hour in turns of how those earlier miners were built. Like two guys sitting there with a table full of random computer hardware, and somehow were able to turn out a few miners. Consistency was an afterthought; and if whoever shipped the miners actually waited to hit the bong after the miners were packed, maybe parts/cables wouldn't have been left out.

I've wondered the same thing since the deal went down. I was pretty neutral right from the beginning. I did jump a guy for yelling "scam" without any evidence, but he was yelling that in every thread regardless of merit. That's the only thing I can figure.

In my personal dealings with AMT, they were quite nice on the phone (well, Jim was, I never spoke with anyone else), but they got rather personal on the forum. That's unacceptable in my book, and I said so.

Then one day they say they picked me to get a miner and review it. I was blindsided, and no one in their right mind is gonna turn down free hashpower, so I took the deal. I've been up front about the whole thing. Why me, I don't know.

The box it arrived in was sealed with duct tape and random pieces of styrofoam, but well secured. It was a few days later than they said, but I figured I wasn't a high priority, given the nature of the deal. Later I find out that most other people who had PAID didn't get their miners or got them very late. I like the machine, but I feel used.

Oh well, live and learn I suppose.

Onward. Has ANYONE reading this got a tracking number on the Coincraft based miners? Even the low end ones?
sirminesalot

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 12:37:29 AM

I've wondered the same thing since the deal went down. I was pretty neutral right from the beginning. I did jump a guy for yelling "scam" without any evidence, but he was yelling that in every thread regardless of merit. That's the only thing I can figure.

In my personal dealings with AMT, they were quite nice on the phone (well, Jim was, I never spoke with anyone else), but they got rather personal on the forum. That's unacceptable in my book, and I said so.

Then one day they say they picked me to get a miner and review it. I was blindsided, and no one in their right mind is gonna turn down free hashpower, so I took the deal. I've been up front about the whole thing. Why me, I don't know.

The box it arrived in was sealed with duct tape and random pieces of styrofoam, but well secured. It was a few days later than they said, but I figured I wasn't a high priority, given the nature of the deal. Later I find out that most other people who had PAID didn't get their miners or got them very late. I like the machine, but I feel used.

Onward. Has ANYONE reading this got a tracking number on the Coincraft based miners? Even the low end ones?

Sounds like you were used, but at least you got something out of it. Better hold onto that miner, it might becomes a collectors edition over the course of the next month or two  Grin

How would you of liked to be the guy that paid cash for that same miner, only to hear someone else got one already for free for testing. Then you have to wait a few weeks to finally receive yours, past the original estimated shipping date.

*BUMP* On tracking information for coincraft miners... Please let us know!
Stan-O

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:43:02 AM

return for a full refund?  in a heartbeat.  i coudn't get it packaged up quick enough.  lol
Stan-O

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 02:49:22 AM

Sounds like you were used, but at least you got something out of it. Better hold onto that miner, it might becomes a collectors edition over the course of the next month or two  Grin

How would you of liked to be the guy that paid cash for that same miner, only to hear someone else got one already for free for testing. Then you have to wait a few weeks to finally receive yours, past the original estimated shipping date.

I'm that guy, and it's pretty F'ing shitty.  but i'm not bitter.....

anyone want to buy a 80GH mining rig?  works fine, now that i fixed it.  =)
Biomech
Legendary

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:16:43 AM

I here you. Was never my intent to screw anybody over. Might try Ebay' there seems to be a premium on miners there. Mine until ya sell it, then buy an Ant.
sirminesalot

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:50:17 AM

I'm that guy, and it's pretty F'ing shitty.  but i'm not bitter.....

anyone want to buy a 80GH mining rig?  works fine, now that i fixed it.  =)

That's terrible and I'm sorry that's how things turned out for you. I have a feeling there will be a lot more people feeling the same way soon.

This thread needs to be mandatory reading for people getting into pre orders for miners.
Stan-O

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 03:52:36 AM

I here you. Was never my intent to screw anybody over. Might try Ebay' there seems to be a premium on miners there. Mine until ya sell it, then buy an Ant.

I don't blame you at all Biomech.  Hell, i'd take a free miner too if it was offered.  Blame is squarely on AMT.

I have no bias or hard feelings towards AMT, and would love nothing better, than to give them a rave review.  But, that isn't how it went down.  I feel a bit bad about the less than favorable review, since Jim seems like such a nice guy, but his business practices pretty much suck and his product isn't spectacular.  It's an overpriced rig that shipped a month late, and had issues when it finally did get here.  At one point, I was wondering if i would ever see it, but then found something about Technobit's chip shortage.  AMT could have put mine, and a lot of other customer's minds at ease, with a simple email telling us about the delay in the chip's being shipped from the manufacturer.

Hopefully all you guys with pending/overdue orders get your stuff in a reasonable amount of time.  I feel for you.
Stan-O

Stan the Man!

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 04:07:20 AM

That's terrible and I'm sorry that's how things turned out for you. I have a feeling there will be a lot more people feeling the same way soon.

This thread needs to be mandatory reading for people getting into pre orders for miners.

I was new to bitcoin mining at the time of my purchase, and the price was near it's all time high.    I had to get something mining now, as it appeared to be money just sitting there waiting to be had.  lol.  sucker!!   

I didn't do enough research and made a hasty purchase.  With the price of BTC at the time, i figured i would get my money back fairly quick.  I had no clue as to how fast the mining difficulty rises, or that i would have to wait an extra month for my rig to get delivered.  a fool and his money.....

Do your research before spending any money, even if it takes a week or two to read all the forums.  I can't stress that enough.

Since the time of my purchase, I've found that the bitcoin mining community is very small, and for the most part very helpful and mostly honest.  I'm obviously not including the scammers in that statement.  Point is, if you have a question on a rig or whatever, ask.  You'll get plenty of answers that will most likely save you a ton of cash.  Use the forums and various IRC channels to your benefit, BEFORE you buy.

sirminesalot

View Profile
February 26, 2014, 05:08:13 AM

I was new to bitcoin mining at the time of my purchase, and the price was near it's all time high.    I had to get something mining now, as it appeared to be money just sitting there waiting to be had.  lol.  sucker!!   

I didn't do enough research and made a hasty purchase.  With the price of BTC at the time, i figured i would get my money back fairly quick.  I had no clue as to how fast the mining difficulty rises, or that i would have to wait an extra month for my rig to get delivered.  a fool and his money.....

Do your research before spending any money, even if it takes a week or two to read all the forums.  I can't stress that enough.

Since the time of my purchase, I've found that the bitcoin mining community is very small, and for the most part very helpful and mostly honest.  I'm obviously not including the scammers in that statement.  Point is, if you have a question on a rig or whatever, ask.  You'll get plenty of answers that will most likely save you a ton of cash.  Use the forums and various IRC channels to your benefit, BEFORE you buy.

Yes, I find a lot smart technical people are getting hooked on the idea of fast money through mining: this is where the scams come in to take advantage of people that have those $'s in their eyes.

onto AMT...

The 'over support' and 'over optimism' exhibited by certain users here for AMT have been completely unwarranted. I think this is just a defense mechanism when you've spent a lot of money and want it to work out in the end. We need to put these so-called "startup companies" under heavy scrutiny at first as there is a lot of money on the line if they go solvent as a company.

Even if AMT has the best intentions in mind, if they fail as company (defective hardware/fire/failied design/bankruptcy) everyone is screwed. This is why a company need to sell you on "THEM AS A COMPANY" beforehand. This whole process is skipped in the bitcoin mining industry because it's all about getting the latest and greatest hardware as soon as possible. This limited time frame makes a lot of people overlook the details about these 'companies' and put the money up front quickly.

At this point, even if they get these trickling out late: the disappearing ROI due to delays in shipping and the overall customer experience will make it hard to leave AMT a positive review.
Pages: « 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... 320 »
  Print  

Jump to: