Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:24:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching off my GPUs, tears in my eyes  (Read 6991 times)
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2013, 10:01:35 PM

That's a shit story, man.  It sounds like the power costs are the only reason you aren't mining LTC?  I'd suggest mining LTC and holding it to see if the price rises.

I just got my power bill for last month.  $193 for 2228 KiloWatt Hours!  That's not just the miners though, thats my main PC, my testing pc, the air conditioners, oven, fans, etc.  My power bill says 6.2 cents per KW, and that bill includes the cost of the taxes and fees in addition to the power itself.

Have you looked into the idea of sneaking a power cord to the neighbors' house and plugging it in somewhere?  Or something like that?  Shocked

You situation could be worse, though.  You could be one of these 'tards who bought lots of USB Erupters!  I've been telling people for months to not buy ASICs and no one listens.  ASICs are a dead end, the BTC surge is over.  LiteCoin is the next big thing.  LTC is now where BTC was a year and a half ago.

At least with GPUs, you have a solid asset that can be used or sold for a good price once you get tired of mining or when mining becomes unprofitable.  ASICs can't do that! Grin

I'll quote you for posterity. Smiley

By the way, my electricity cost is 0.0651, so as I mentioned before, BEs will remain profitable for me for some time to come, sans noise and heat.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:45:52 AM

Elec in Australia is US$0.3kWh  Sad

GPU mining of BTC died over 6 months ago...

tkachval

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:58:32 PM

By the way, my electricity cost is 0.0651,
Where are you from?
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 01:43:38 PM

A certain Northern country, which has a surplus of water, that we don't even care about burning our own oil Smiley

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:52:44 PM

Doesn't seem too unreasonable, I pay .061/kwh at home in the midwest USA (or around ~.07/kwh after all their little charges and surcharges.)

I've got 3 phase 480V service at work, that goes for .012/kwh due to volume  Grin

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
clock27

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 01:54:24 PM

+420 interwebs for you dude i wish i had done something like that before the massive difficulty spike but i was sadly too lazy Sad

matt4054 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:06:01 PM

Hello,

Thanks for all those who supported me, and those who contacted me here or PMed me about the sales of the GPUs.

I would like to experiment with providing an on-demand, "cloud" style scrypt mining service, a bit like CEX.io with BitFury for SHA-256.

For this, I would like a first beta tester. The tester will have access to about 1.2 MHS scrypt mining, for a couple of hours during the tests, based on 2x7970 (690+510 KHS). The tester may keep the mining rewards, there will be no other reward.

The alpha version of the interface allows dynamic pool switching, i.e. you can mine any coin and use the interface to change the pool instantly.

At this stage, the whole system is a proof of concept and not yet secure enough for public deployment. In other words, I am *not* asking and granting permission for pen testing at this stage -- it's not what I'm looking for yet.

Thanks for your interest.

Matt
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 02:38:35 AM

This is exactly the kind of post i was waiting to see before i "flipped the switch" on my GPU's
Since im paying .08kw/h, I should be "good" for a littlewhile longer.
I still plan to mine btc at a cost of (unlimited) Fiat to gain some of the Limited bitcoin amount
I'll basically be buying bitcoins with electricity XD

Do you have any good quality XFX 7950's? (non double D)
They are rocksolid cards if you get a good one, I RMA'd mine twice, The third one i got feels immortal
Read a forum post where a guy had like... 40 RMA's of this specific card, But he kept RMAing them because he knew how good they were when Properly checked through QC

What, you don't like the Double D XFX? I RMA'd that damn thing 4x, in 4 months, didn't even run the fans fast, couldn't get a month before 1 fan or the other died. I've got it sitting in the warehouse right now with 2 delta fans on it, man it kept cool, haven't tried to sell it, cause what gamer wants a 7970 with 2 delta fans attached? I do suppose some of you might want it, if so, PM me.

matt4054 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:12:30 AM
Last edit: October 10, 2013, 11:45:20 AM by matt4054

The XFX seem to have a bad reputation.

To be perfectly honest, of all my GPUs (those I got new and the second hand ones), the only one that I had to RMA after about 2 months of use was an XFX 7970. It took *three* full months for the RMA facility in the UK to send my retailer a new one. And I wasn't even surprised, as he had warned me...

I would be interested in other miners' experiences about XFX GPUs
bronan

Activity: 774
Merit: 500

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:44:19 AM

Well XFX is another name of the company which own also Sapphire
The sapphire is probably the better one of those 2

However i have mixed results with them, even though many complain about them.
Some say these are bad but i had pretty good cards from them and only 1 out of 30 went defect
These often where minor defect like fan braking but most was improper usage of the owners,
Like breaking the case by those taking the cards home secretly for gaming in the weekends.

Over a year time we had pretty darn low fallout of these brands, but again i saw less problems with the sapphires

I have had loads of cards used in the workstations doing all kinda different tasks, most of them been pretty battered and abused.
The company owned at that time in total 2850 pc/workstations containing about around 3500 cards, almost all where dual cpu heavy workstations containing 3 or 4 gpu cards each.

At first many had nvidia and later i threw most of the nvidia's out where ever i could.
Though some programs sadly still needed nvidia for operation.
But i had to switch many of them, so the local chefs had to decide themselfs what brand and models they wanted to buy (budget).
Those who choose powercolor, club3d, gigabyte, asus and alike cards had much more problems and fallout. The figures did not lie, all other brands then xfx or sapphire failed more often.
And clearly had much bigger problems so we had todo alot of rma's on the other brands.

Let me be honest with the prices dropping on any of these cards which probably are not cheap to make i fear in the last years they cut on quality of the cards to still make profits
Nvidia at certain moment completely stopped making certain models because they where loosing money building them.

Do not forget those who make/grow/catch products are often not the ones making good profits. The resellers/markets are often the ones making the massive profits
Small example shrimps caught by fishers are bought by a reseller for $0.30 per kg
The reseller package those in crates, or peel or and whatever they do (often not very much). Then they are offered to shops and suddenly these cost $2.25 per 100 grams, then the store puts in their own 100% and poof in the shop you find 100 grams for $5.50

Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 08:50:03 PM

a Dual Fan GPU is just a way of saying "One of these is going to fail, also, one of these fans was not enough"
I've see like... 70% of Double D XFX 79xx's have a broken fan within a month
and then like... 30% of Non Double D's are Someone Else's RMA'd GPU that they overclocked to Fuck and Back that will fail within three months.

I've only ever had problems with XFX's Dual fan cards, all the others are fucking glorious.

Now we goto a comparison on the Shappire cards
(fuck your Gigabyte,MSI,Asus,Powercolour, they all blowout and break)

In comparison, the Shappire cards run colder, but a Tiiiiiiiny bit louder
They also dont have as much overclock headroom (in my experiance) but the overclock room that they have is Much easier to acheive
EG:
XFX stock"OC" 900mhz core, runs at 1000 without touching the volt. 78°C fan at 80%
Shappire stock"OC" 900mhz core, runs at 980 without touching the volt. 76°C, Fan at like, Fucking 58%

20% of shappires are just Totally DOA
60% have No problems and are great
20% are AssKickers that can overclock like Magic but also die like Magic if you clock them too high

I've personally found the XFX cards to be Physically more durable than the Shappire cards. However the Shappire cards are techinically more durable under standard usage due to the lower operating temperature.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 01:34:59 AM

Lucky you, I still have not ROI my hardware that I bought 2 months ago.

hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:31:22 PM

You are one lucky fella, you have recovered your investment!!

nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 01:41:07 AM

Hello,

Thanks for all those who supported me, and those who contacted me here or PMed me about the sales of the GPUs.

I would like to experiment with providing an on-demand, "cloud" style scrypt mining service, a bit like CEX.io with BitFury for SHA-256.

For this, I would like a first beta tester. The tester will have access to about 1.2 MHS scrypt mining, for a couple of hours during the tests, based on 2x7970 (690+510 KHS). The tester may keep the mining rewards, there will be no other reward.

The alpha version of the interface allows dynamic pool switching, i.e. you can mine any coin and use the interface to change the pool instantly.

At this stage, the whole system is a proof of concept and not yet secure enough for public deployment. In other words, I am *not* asking and granting permission for pen testing at this stage -- it's not what I'm looking for yet.

Thanks for your interest.

Matt

Matt,
I'd be willing to take some time and help you with this testing and do a write up for you on the testing.  Alts are currently getting about .02 BTC per 24 hours per MHash before electricity costs around $25 a month for 2 7970s at .1 per kWh so still profitable and some room in there to make a slight profit on your end for someone willing to pay to not have the headache of maintaining hardware, cooling, etc.  PM me details if you are still looking for someone to help!
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:43:28 PM

Find cheaper electricity and mine other alts.  Smiley

Not for many people have the choice as they will need to migrate to other country to get cheaper electricity, some country are just expansive for some reason.

Kokomoka

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 11:59:41 PM

The profitability (or lack off) is a signal from the market to either continue, or stop doing whatever it is that you are doing. Don't feel bad, you are just acting rationally and playing a very important role in the great global network that is called "the free market".
rampalija

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 03:26:45 PM

You cant loose so much money if you buy GPU's cuz they are resellable. Not for the same price but close enough

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: