Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:34:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does Bitcointalk not like VPN use?  (Read 235 times)
twingall1 (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:16:58 PM

Hi, I am curious why VPN use is not tolerated here. I had to pay a small bitcoin fine when i signed up because of suspected VPN use/bad karma associated with IP address(wording??). Also heard people being banned because of using VPN??

Any explanations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
T
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hssn

Activity: 154
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:33:10 PM

Fake account are growing too much in this fourm to do signature campaigns and its obvious to use vpn to not to caught up, so i think that's the reason for not allowing vpn or Proxies
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 05:00:08 PM

Hi, I am curious why VPN use is not tolerated here. I had to pay a small bitcoin fine when i signed up because of suspected VPN use/bad karma associated with IP address(wording??). Also heard people being banned because of using VPN??

Thanks,
T

The 'fine' is only when you register using a VPN / IP, which has units of evil accumulated.
The reports of people being banned because of the use of VPN are false.

When you register, the IP that you used when you submitted the registration form is used to calculate your evilness. The more frequently this IP or its neighbors were banned, the more evil is associated with your account. The amount of evil associated with an IP decays slowly over time, but the amount of evil associated with an account does not. You must pay or be manually whitelisted to enable posting on one of these "banned" accounts.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2018, 05:06:40 PM
Merited by botany (1)

Thanks,
T

For the registration part, fees where here from years before even i registered in the forums.
The answer of your question could be found in this sticky in meta..
Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ :

Q: Why is my IP banned? What are those units of evil?
A: Your IP might be banned because it was used by a user that got perma banned. Don't worry - IP bans decay over time if there's not too many of them during a small period. If you register using a banned IP, are using TOR, VPNs or well known proxies, you will have to pay a small fee. This is to prevent spammers while allowing legitimate members to post without many restrictions.

For the vpn = ban, from where you get this information?

(sorry botany, it took me a while to create the pic)

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 08:05:13 PM

- snip -
(sorry botany, it took me a while to create the pic)

That is a wonderful pic. I think it will be applicable in a lot of cases here.  Grin
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:17:04 PM
Merited by SaltySpitoon (1)

Hi, I am curious why VPN use is not tolerated here.

VPN use is perfectly acceptable here. InvoKing already pointed you to the right stickies, but some of your more direct questions seem to have gone unanswered or insufficiently answered. VPN Abuse is not tolerated here; free VPN services are very often abused.

I had to pay a small bitcoin fine when i signed up because of suspected VPN use/bad karma associated with IP address.

This is not because VPN use is prohibited; this is because the IP you are attempting to register from has abused the forum in some way. The easiest way to prevent future registrations from this IP is to associate a fee with doing so that would render that IP too costly to use for most abusers. If you used a VPN that had no evils associated with it, you would not have incurred this fee. You can re-register under a new IP if this is too big of an obstacle.

Also heard people being banned because of using VPN??

False. You do not get banned for using a VPN; has never happened. Staff does not care what IP address you access the forum from, as far as I know there is no such restrictions even considered. Use a different VPN, or just pay the fee. Before you do any of this, do as InvoKing has suggested and hit the books (stickies).
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 10:22:55 PM

The idea behind the units of evil system is to dissuade bot spammers, not to penalize VPN use. For a regular user that wants one account and wants to sign up over Tor or a VPN, its a small one time fee that is negligible. However if someone wanted to make 10,000 accounts to spam with, the units of evil would make it prohibitively expensive to do so. In short, a minor effect for the individual user, but a big deterrent for people who want to use thousands of throwaway accounts to spam.
guschin

Activity: 84
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 02:27:58 PM

Let me express my opinion on this issue. I guess you used  a free VPN while registering the account and this was the reason of getting IP ban message you got. These free VPNs are used all over the world by spammers to create multiple accounts on different platforms including bitcointalk. So the system detected you as spammer and asked for a fee to be payed. Since the account was new, you need not pay that fee and create a new account here using the real IP you have. This is the best solution unless you want to hide your real IP from the admins here which sounds suspicious.
InvoKing
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065

✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 03:05:00 PM

Let me express my opinion on this issue. I guess you used  a free VPN while registering the account and this was the reason of getting IP ban message you got. These free VPNs are used all over the world by spammers to create multiple accounts on different platforms including bitcointalk. So the system detected you as spammer and asked for a fee to be payed. Since the account was new, you need not pay that fee and create a new account here using the real IP you have. This is the best solution unless you want to hide your real IP from the admins here which sounds suspicious.

Let me express my opinion on this issue too. Read at least the post above you..

PSPD:law and order enforcement!
Press Section Police Department!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: