Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:38:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Housing Rentals Denominated in Bitcoins  (Read 1348 times)
mpkomara (OP)

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 10:36:44 PM

I'm tired of hearing "Yes, but until I can pay my rent and buy my groceries in bitcoins, they will never succeed..." 

Is it legal in your country to design a contract between landlord and renter where the payment exchanged is denominated in bitcoins?  Is this any different than asking if the payment could be denominated in some non-native currency?  How about in gold bars?  Where are the landlords on this forum?  Where are the lawyers?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 10:52:11 PM

Why on earth would anyone forbid that ?

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 11:16:19 PM

Why on earth would anyone forbid that ?

taxation, maybe? If government(s) decide to tax bitcoin transactions, they'll first have to recognize it's a currency, and allow it to compete with others on the exchanges.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 11:23:04 PM

Is it legal in your country to design a contract between landlord and renter where the payment exchanged is denominated in bitcoins?

Excluding rent control issues, can a landlord and a tenant agree to a rent price that is fixed at a specific exchange rate?  I don't see why not.  

A landlord in most, if not all, U.S. states could, I believe, set the rent for a property to be one ounce of gold per month, for instance.  

The IRS will, of course, expect the landlord to report that income.  They even list accepting bartered goods in exchange for rent in Example 2 of their Record Keeping for Business Barter Transactions document:
Example 2:
You own a small apartment building. An artist trades you a painting in return for six months’ rent-free use of an apartment. You must report the fair market value of the artwork as rental income on Schedule E Supplemental Income and Loss on Form 1040. Generally, this would be the fair rental value of the apartment for six months. You can claim your normal rental expenses associated with the barter of the apartment.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=215975,00.html

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

entelechy

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:23:53 AM

It's interesting that this thread came so close to predicting the future!  Now 7 years later, and payments for long term rentals throughout the US are soon going to be paid in BERRY, the token released over the last few months by Rentberry.com. 
In 2011 the idea of there being 1400 altcoins would have been hard to imagine let alone, another cryptocurrency other than BTC being the future medium for payment between Landlords and tenant, but now the Rentberry project have incorporated blockchain tech into their web platform and are close to finishing the development of their app - which will connect property owners and renters globally.

Currently their platform has thousands upon thousands of listed properties in the US, and expansion to other countries around the world will be commencing later in 2018.

Landlords are already able to make payments for e-signing contracts with tenants and listing multiple properties in BERRY, and soon tenants will also be able to pay for their rent using the token as well.  Also built into the core of the Rentberry model, is the ability for token holders to earn roughly 7% interest in passive income from lending renters BERRY tokens to crowdfund their security deposits.

Unlike projects such as Bee, Rentberry aren't taking on big players like AirBNB head on - their target market is the long-term (think furniture-less) rental market.. a space which as of now hasn't been seriously considered by blockchain enterprises.  For more info check out the Rentberry Telegram chat - https://t.me/rentberry
TRAID

Activity: 246
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2018, 11:39:13 AM

It's only a matter of time before the whole real estate market is dominated by Bitcoin and other major cryptocurrencies. It's so much easier to move millions using crypto than cash. Every day, more and more people will start buying and selling real estate using btc...you better believe it.

TRAID - World's Best Crypto Traders are Waiting to Mentor You ‖  www.TRAID.tv
ershovspa

Activity: 144

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:54:15 AM

Absolutely, it's only a matter of time before people start to buy and sell real estate with btc. It is already happening..there are already sites for that..just Google buy real estate with bitcoin.
Meysa_richa

Activity: 458
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:14:04 PM

In the country I have not allowed in this case, and I also hope that in my country as soon as possible to legalize bitcoin currency.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:15:32 PM

I'm tired of hearing "Yes, but until I can pay my rent and buy my groceries in bitcoins, they will never succeed..." 

Is it legal in your country to design a contract between landlord and renter where the payment exchanged is denominated in bitcoins?  Is this any different than asking if the payment could be denominated in some non-native currency?  How about in gold bars?  Where are the landlords on this forum?  Where are the lawyers?

We do not need to call the landlords and lawyers in this forum. Common sense will tell us that if they are not into cryptocurrency or bitcoin they are not here so its just a waste of time waiting for them here. The contract between a landlord and the renter t use bitcoin as payment does not require legalities. But it is the willingness of the landlord to accept bitcoins and the capacity of the renter. We cannot just force them to do that if they do not want it.
avdeeva

Activity: 32

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 12:56:23 PM

You will have check laws in your particular country regarding paying rents in bitcoins . It should be allowed in my opinion.
israfil

Activity: 71

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 01:44:08 PM

What is legal in your country to create a contract that is exchanged between zamindars and tenants, in exchange for bitcoin? Is it different from asking whether some non-native currency can be paid? How about gold bars? Where is the landlord? Where is the lawyer?

You are in Mono. A landlord or housekeeper and tenant should talk about exchange or exchange of Bitcoin. Yes it is necessary to do this. Because if a landlord and tenant starts using Bitcoin, then Bitcoin can be used to increase usage.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: