Bitcoin Forum
May 20, 2018, 11:13:04 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.0  [Torrent]. (New!)

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin core 0.16.0 - 9 Years to sync Need Bootstrap help  (Read 76 times)
hodl2018

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:12:40 PM

I'm using Windows 7. Downloaded bitcoin core latest version today. It's out of sync and last block found 9 years ago. I can't wait months and months to sync it.
Is there any way to sync quickly or I heard something about bootstrap.dat. Where to found it and how to use.
Thank you.

▇ ▃ ▅         CoinCaps.ai         ▅ ▃ ▇
❱❱ Crypto Currency Tracker ❰❰
▬▬▬▬▬ Advertise With Us ▬▬▬▬▬

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1456

Howdy

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 09:34:44 PM

The recommended way is to let Bitcoin Core sync all data is to let it do this on it's own. Don't download the blockchain elsewhere. If you want it (much) faster, use a SSD instead of a HDD. If you're system is low on memory: add more RAM.
I haven't tested it on Windows by myself, but from what I've read, I'm pretty sure it syncs much faster on Linux (with similar system specs).

My estimate from my own experience: a moderate Linux PC (with enough RAM) with a low-end broadband connection can sync the entire blockchain within a day. I don't have a Windows machine capable of testing how long it would take.

HCP

Activity: 602
Merit: 776

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 11:09:58 PM
Merited by achow101 (2), OgNasty (1)

Three things have the most significant impact on the speed of syncing for Bitcoin Core...

1. CPU speed:
- Bitcoin Core has to validate EVERY block it downloads, this requires a lot of computational power... low end CPUs will slow down the process

2. Storage speed:
- Bitcoin Core needs to store and read/validate EVERY block... currently some 170+Gigs... slow HDD's will slow this down... SSD's are good... m.2 type drives are even better!

3. Internet Bandwidth:
 - Obviously, with 170+ Gigs to download, if your internet connection is a bit slow, this can slow things down... any "decent" broadband connection should be "OK", as long as it isn't bandwidth limited by your ISP and slows down if limits are exceeded etc.

I would say that #1 and #2 have probably the biggest affect on sync rate, unless your internet connection is a dialup modem Tongue

Is there any way to sync quickly or I heard something about bootstrap.dat. Where to found it and how to use.
Don't use bootstrap.dat... due to recent optimisations in Bitcoin Core (since around v0.14 I think it was)... letting the client sync "naturally" is actually faster than attempting to use bootstrap.dat

OgNasty
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1258

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 03:20:19 AM

You can download the blockchain using torrent networks, but you really should let the software do it’s thing.

▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
|
|
          ▄█████▄
        ▄█████████▄
      ▄████▀   ▀████▄
    ▄████▀   ▄ ▄█▀████▄
  ▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▀████▄
▄████▀   ▄███▀   ▄   ▀████▄
█████   ███▀   ▄███   █████
▀████▄   ▀██▄▄███▀   ▄████▀
  ▀████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▀
    ▀████▄       ▄████▀
      ▀████▄   ▄████▀
        ▀███  ████▀
          ▀█▄███▀
unthy
hugeblack

Activity: 322
Merit: 305

Signature Designer ^-^ https://goo.gl/34QBYf

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2018, 07:26:26 AM

This depends on the reason why you use Bitcoin core:
1. If you have old .dat file you don't need to wait for full sync, In the bitcoin-cli or the command line window use
Code:
"getaccount" or "getaccountaddress"

copy/paste addresses into any block explorer to check balance "full sync will be worthwhile  Smiley".[1]
2. Set higher CPU Priority Level of Processes in Windows:
There are 7 priority levels such as Realtime, High, ....etc.
open your Task Manager ----> bitcoin core files ---->Right click ------>Set priority ------> Realtime.
3. Set database cache size:
Code:
-dbcache=<n>
when <n> is a number megabytes (default: 300).If you have 4 GB RAM, set it to 2000.[2]
If your balance worthwhile, you can buy more RAM   Smiley

Sources:
#1 https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list
#2 https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.