Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 04:06:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first scammer  (Read 2020 times)
IncreaseMyT (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 12:02:35 AM

So I wanted to try and sell a few coins on EBay, it was killing me to see what it was like.  At first things were good, then someone tried to pull the ol scamaroo saying he did not authorize it.  I highly doubt it was a hacker unless he had access to email, ebay and paypal because he contacted me by all methods.

here is the address I sent it to 16MhirDnCqfXdMhE81Ut9hXxxFPQk1RCAj

I was looking at to see if you can see where the money goes but I don't think so.

Either way if the guys account was really hacked then PayPal is letting me keep the money, and if not I keep the money.

Either way I should have listened to you guys, its def not worth it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4481

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:24:17 AM

So I wanted to try and sell a few coins on EBay, it was killing me to see what it was like.  At first things were good, then someone tried to pull the ol scamaroo saying he did not authorize it.  I highly doubt it was a hacker unless he had access to email, ebay and paypal because he contacted me by all methods.

here is the address I sent it to 16MhirDnCqfXdMhE81Ut9hXxxFPQk1RCAj

I was looking at to see if you can see where the money goes but I don't think so.

Either way if the guys account was really hacked then PayPal is letting me keep the money, and if not I keep the money.

Either way I should have listened to you guys, its def not worth it.

its been years of warning people away from the chargeback kings of ebay/paypal.. yet people still do it.. please people realise, why do these strangers demand payment via ebay/paypal..... there are so many different ways to get bitcoin paypal should NEVER be one of them.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 12:33:39 AM

fucking scammers - evil human nature

ok
sublime5447
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 02:50:04 AM

Would be nice if you could rate that address wouldnt it?

That way at least people would know that you are claiming them to be stolen coins.
nuffsaid420

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:42:55 AM

don't sell on ebay. It is like a low hanging fruit. If you want to there are some other exchanges that do escrow and protect you a little better. Look into it.
Mitchell
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2198

Verified awesomeness ✔

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 06:50:06 AM

Well, it's your own fault if you ask me. We have been warning people for years not to sell through PayPal.

Duelbits
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀

Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█

Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █

Blackjack
|█▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄
       ▀████▄▄
         ██████▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀    ▀▀█
████████▄        █
█████████▄        █
██████████▄     ▄██
█████████▀▀▀█▄▄████
▀▀███▀▀       ████
   █          ███
   █          █▀
▄█████▄▄▄ ▄▄▀▀
███████▀▀▀
                 NEW!                  
SPORTS BETTING 
|||
[ Đ ][ Ł ]
AVAILABLE NOW

Advertisements are not endorsed by me.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:35:41 AM

Welp, looks like everyone beat me to the punch "Don't sell through Paypal". Chargeback fraud is so prevalent you'd probably be better off finding another way to convert to fiat, or at worst deal with PP with one of the forum's trusted trader. At least then you would be able to give feedback regarding the transaction.
ReBoRn

Activity: 392

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:19:34 AM

Well, it's your own fault if you ask me. We have been warning people for years not to sell through PayPal.

right selling with Paypal is very risky work and we have many warnings here on this forum about this

IncreaseMyT (OP)

Activity: 406

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 03:31:48 PM

I never tried to place blame on anyone else, I saw all of the warnings and was curious to give it a try myself.  Honestly I was surprised PayPal wouldn't be more eager to protect their accounts, cause at the end of the day it is their fault they do not protect the privacy over their users.

I didn't come here to cry, as a matter of fact I doubt I will be out any money, I just wanted to share my thoughts and re affirm that you guys were correct and that I could not find a way to do it safely, thats all.

So thanks for telling its my fault, when really its PayPal's fault.

I personally don't think the guy's account was hacked and believe he is trying to pull a fast one.  The only way someone could have really hacked and purchased is if someone had access to all 3 of his accounts at the same time, email, paypal, and EBay.

So at the at end of the day it is the EBay user's fault for not protecting his account with different passwords and even moreso PayPal for not requiring their users to be more diligent when setting up passwords.  Do they even have 2 way authentication yet?  You would think someone like PayPal would be right on top of these things, but obviously they are not.

@Sublime should I have a wallet rating?  No, it should not be that easy to hack someone's account, and if it is its almost like PayPal is turning a blind eye to their system that allows people to get frauded, there are simple ways to fix the problem.  They do this out of greed because they are afraid if they make password requirements too stringent, then not as many people will use them, so if you ask me the money should come out of their greedy pockets.

The biggest problem I have with them is I called and went over the entire scenario with them the day before this happened, when they were making 10% off my transactions they were fine and dandy with me selling bitcoin, but when fraud occurred, because of their less than optimal security requirements, the sang an entirely different tune.

I honestly think maybe I did this cause I couldn't believe how pathetic EBay and PayPal were, as the forum post's suggested, and had to see for myself.

I don't really want to sell bitcoins, I just like learning about them, and how they are used and distributed.

I could have used an escrow system but I wanted to test EBay and see who's side they were really on, and as I stated in my first post you guys were right.

MoneyMorpheus

Activity: 251

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2013, 03:37:59 PM

I'm sorry for your loss, and if you really need paypal in the future I would recommend using either virwox, a seller with a high reputation here or on bitmit. Selling btc for paypal to anyone is never a good idea...

Best altcoin exchange: https://vircurex.com/welcome/index?referral_id=241-35101
https://bter.com/signup/121418 | You may run into issues some time, but support will take care of you threw qq in chinese hours
1EGoA5LMV391Psf8ZHShTkTd3tQ6URKQEp
AC130AS

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 06:52:53 PM

Iv'e Sold 1BTC on Ebay...biggest mistake of my life. got 300 bid, he paid and later I sent the BTC to his wallet. Well come to know, he does a claim, and I tried to provide enough info, but they still gave him his money back and kept the 1 BTC  Angry
nuffsaid420

Activity: 86

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:42:46 PM

I'm not sure if it works, but there are people on Ebay selling a piece of paper, and "giving" you the BTC. So in effect they are saying I am selling you a certificate that I will mail to you and giving you the BTC. Then there is an actual product that is being delivered.

Again I have not and will not be doing this. Does this actually work?
AC130AS

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 07:52:03 PM

I dont know, what if they said they havent recieved it and still say the BTC hasent came through, its all to shady in Ebay, I guess you have to tell the customer service reps how bitcoin works "20 min tutorial"  Tongue
Eternity

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 12:49:22 PM

Stay away from ebay when selling bitcoins
AC130AS

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:00:05 PM

ofcourse
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 03:23:29 PM

I believe selling on this forum is a better idea, at least you can see his status and trust.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:10:09 PM

the only way i can understand paypal backing the seller is if you send them a physical letter with a code on it and they then have to email you the code back through ebay for the free bitcoins but even thats not great...

people then send you the paper back and you have to give them there money back as the bitcoins where a gift.... best bet leave ebay and paypal alone and dont ever touch them again.. i use to sell and buy £1000's of stuff off there a year but i sold bitcoins got charge backs and now paypal have a account £121 in the red and i have no intention of paying any of it back

jayson3

Activity: 71

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:50:21 PM

Ebay/Paypal are set up to sell retail goods, not financial products like bitcoin. They will only back a seller if he can prove delivery of a physical good.  This means a shipper tracking number and signature upon delivery. Sellers are also effectively required accept returns, so you are at risk of having "used" Bitcoin key returned to you with no recourse.  It is all clearly stated in their buy and seller protection policies.
ronimacarroni

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 12:51:52 AM

I lent ~.4 btc to hydroponica on btcjam and he didn't pay back  Angry
thecoinjournal

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 04:51:45 AM

Iv'e Sold 1BTC on Ebay...biggest mistake of my life. got 300 bid, he paid and later I sent the BTC to his wallet. Well come to know, he does a claim, and I tried to provide enough info, but they still gave him his money back and kept the 1 BTC  Angry

I lost 4 BTCs on ebay the same way.

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 04:31:21 AM

Over and over, people are doing the same mistake as you -_-

DO NOT deal with paypal when it comes to BTC!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: