Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:22:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will all bitcoins be mined?  (Read 472 times)
MANofthePEOPLE (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 03:53:59 AM

I am new to this so might be a dumb question. I am wondering if all bitcoins will be mined? I have read that its not worth mining anymore for people with standard computers because it's too hard, better mine litecoins. What happens when it becomes even harder? In six months when the difficulty is even harder it may not be worth all the electricity keeping the stuff running.

Is it even worth getting the mining computers for $5k+ anymore?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoDuck

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:03:37 AM

Dude do a Google search on Bitcoin and look at a Wiki. Yes there is a cap to the total number of Bitcoins.

Yes it is not profitable to mine Bitcoin with standard PC equipment. Yes the difficulty will get worse as more ASIC miners hit the network in the next few months.

Yeah Litecoin is possibly the next safest coin after Bitcoin to mine right now and you can use standard equipment but it has quite the following and don't expect to get big shares out of it. I mine it with HD 7790 and pull a little over 0.1 LTC a day at curret difficulty. It's not a great card but that should give you some idea.

Wiki's will tell you how hardware stacks up too.
srilhblsfjhnlsfk

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:40:51 AM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

Values are in MHash/s but based on the result I get, they seem to be in KHash/s.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:43:32 AM

I am new to this so might be a dumb question. I am wondering if all bitcoins will be mined? I have read that its not worth mining anymore for people with standard computers because it's too hard, better mine litecoins. What happens when it becomes even harder? In six months when the difficulty is even harder it may not be worth all the electricity keeping the stuff running.

Is it even worth getting the mining computers for $5k+ anymore?

The system is continually rebalancing.  If it becomes too "hard" some miners will quit (those with the highest cost and least efficient gear), when they do difficulty will fall and remaining miners will earn more.  Of course that lower difficulty will bring in new miners who will drive it back up.

There can never be a scenario where nobody mines because it is too hard.  If less people (or hashpower) is mining then difficulty will get easier not harder.
grzesiub

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 04:50:41 AM

AFAIK, mining is necessary, because it calculate the hashes of the ongoing transactions. Therefore, mining will never end and the miners will earn on provisions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: