Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:02:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wallet.dat lost and recovered, but balance flew away!  (Read 916 times)
Shevek (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:47:26 AM

I've search for this problem a bit, but I had bad luck  Sad despite of this, I'm sure it stands somewhere. So, sorry if I repeat the topic.

Yesterday I accidentally wipe off the file 'wallet.dat'. No problem: I took my backup and restored it. My backup was a bit old, so when I restarted bitcoin, the addresses stay but the balance, with all operations made after backup, blew up. The reason is, because bitcoin uses the same file, 'wallet.dat' to keep private keys, public keys and transactions.

The only solution I've found for restoring the balance was restart bitcoin in a new folder (conserving 'wallet.dat' and 'bitcoin.conf') and wait several hours for the block-data rebuild up.

So the question is: is there any more clever way to restore the balance!? The information about transactions is in the block chain, available to the program; I think the client program should have an option "rescan the blockchain" or similar for such occasions. And, even better, keep the transaction file away from priv. keys!

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:50:01 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2011, 11:20:48 AM by Meni Rosenfeld

Use the -rescan command line argument. (If you're using a shortcut in Windows it can be added to it).

And you do know that your backups need to be relatively recent, and that an old backup might not have any of your coins, right?

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Shevek (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:08:57 AM

Use the -rescan command line argument.

Thanks Meni! I oversaw this option!

And you do know that your backups need to be relatively recent, and that and old backup might not have any of your coins, right?

I know this even before wipe the file. I simply think that rescanning is done by default...

Proposals for improving bitcoin are like asses: everybody has one
1SheveKuPHpzpLqSvPSavik9wnC51voBa
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 11:19:09 AM

And you do know that your backups need to be relatively recent, and that and old backup might not have any of your coins, right?
I know this even before wipe the file.
Ok, I was just concerned because you said "My backup was a bit old".

I simply think that rescanning is done by default...
Rescanning takes time, so shouldn't be done unless necessary. I guess future clients will intelligently determine when it is necessary.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: