Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:05:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help with first mining rig setup (2x 5830 on a MSI 870-G45)  (Read 1387 times)
Crypt_Current (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:19:45 PM

Hello all, this is my first post to this board.

I have built and upgraded my own computer hardware in the past, but that was a long time ago (before PCIe and SATA) and I would consider myself a novice, but I do understand the basics and am quick to learn.

That said, I have one main basic question:  Should I be expected to boot up on this mobo with no hard drive or flash drive?

I have it all set up with no case:  mobo, two 5830's in their respective slots, 2gb of ram in DIMM1 (the bottom one), cpu (sempron) installed correctly...  I tore the power switch out of an old case and connected that to the mobo in order to turn it on.

So, i plugged an old monitor into the VGA port on card1 (with use of the included hi-def -> VGA adapter), then powered on the system...

AND...  the fans come on, everything seems to work with the rig, BUT, i get no signal on the monitor.

Do I ABSOLUTELY need a hard drive in order to even get a signal on my monitor?  I'm thinking i'm just missing something concerning the video part of the setup... Please help!

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Reuef

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 09:56:26 PM

You should get a video signal if for nothing else to do the POST and tell you that there is no operating system.

I would make sure that all cards and cables are seated properly.  Make sure the power cables to the video card are actually plugged in firmly.

Also, make sure the monitor works with another computer.
ToriAmos1963

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:14:58 PM

Try using another video output when the computer is off.  I have two 9800 in SLI, but only one card has the video signal.  With DVI, I have to turn the computer off before changing the ports.
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:21:14 PM

There is something that happens -- the monitor power led goes from orange to green, as if it is going to display a picture... but then it does not display anything and the light goes back to orange.

I thought the mobo should at least post to a bios screen...

The monitor does work,

All the fans come on:  CPU fan, power supply fan, and both 5830 fans...

For the 5830:  does each one just require one (1x6) pci-e plug from the power supply?  maybe i am not hooking up the power to the vid card properly...  These are nice cards but the manual is a complete joke, no help whatsoever

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:29:34 PM

Oh and I just tried it again with a flash drive in every USB slot, still the same deal.

Even though i haven't done so yet, i know from my research that it is apparently possible to boot from a usb drive, so shouldn't the bios come up to give me that option?

I'm thinking the mobo is just DOA.  Any ideas on how exactly I would determine that?

dovewing2000

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 10:43:02 PM

you may need to install mobo stands or have something to stand the motherboard off a flat surface at least a bit taller than the lower part of the back of the graphics card...  then power the whole thing up with 1 graphics card... if that works then try the other one...
pixilated8

Activity: 47

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 12:43:06 AM

For the 5830:  does each one just require one (1x6) pci-e plug from the power supply?  maybe i am not hooking up the power to the vid card properly...  These are nice cards but the manual is a complete joke, no help whatsoever

Each 5830 requires two 6-pin connectors.  So you will require a total of four for both cards.

Try to boot the computer with just one video card.

Try a different monitor.  Could be that it is not capable of displaying at the frequency the card is sending.

Try to clear the CMOS (certainly can't hurt anything).

Do you have another video card you can pull from a different machine, just to see if it POSTs?

Do you have a speaker hooked up?  If there are beeps, they usually can tell you if there's a problem.
Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 02:39:17 AM

Two 6-pin connections PER card.  As stated above.
Try to boot with a single card to verify placement.  As stated above.

Verify that your monitor can display the default resolution of the OS you're booting.  If the default resolution is greater than what the monitor can display (for example if you have an older, smaller monitor) then you'll get the behavior you've described.

Finally, depending on your OS, you could have a driver issue.  For example, on Ubuntu Desktop, if you load the proprietary ATI drivers after installation, then you can run into problem if you then manually install the Catalyst drivers, where the screen is just black and won't come back.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 05:27:06 AM

TWO six-pin connectors per card, well ain't that a sumbitch...

Trying to just see if everything works, no HDD / mass storage attached as of yet, so no OS yet (although ideally i'd like to run LinuxCoin)

Heh, no speaker hooked up, (for added mystery effect?) ... a series of beeps would have been helpful.

& this monitor is like circa 1995... BUT i had my tv hooked up to it earlier with the same result.

Gonna try with one vid card & the proper amount of power hookups next, but not til morning...

Thanks for all the input so far everyone, it's been a boon  :-)

Rob P.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 11:15:55 AM

If you're using a TV and/or a really old monitor (like 800x600) you'll have resolution issues.  It should still POST no matter what the resolution (though a TV would only be 320x200 so that may not even POST), but you'll have issues installing the OS.

--

If you like what I've written here, consider tipping the messenger:
1GZu4CtHa6ai8iWoWiVFxV5VVoNte4SkoG

If you don't like what I've written, send me a Tip and I'll stop talking.
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:11:30 PM

The TV is a newer LED 1080p, but the same thing happened on it as happened on the monitor ... :-/

I tried the setup again with one vid card (in the proper pci-e slot), with the proper amount of power to it... still the same result.

I tried the other vid card exactly the same way, same result.

I'm wondering if it's a cpu / RAM issue...

There are these four LEDs on the mobo near the cpu, and the mobo manual says they indicate "CPU power phase -- LED1 = CPU power phase 1, LED4 = CPU power phase 4" ... whatever the hell that means.  BUT, only the first LED is lit... maybe that's a problem?  I'm going to have to research this mobo further.

So, anyone that has any specific experience regarding an MSI 870-G45 (model #MS-7599), your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from researching the mobo, the plan of action is:
1) Test each vid card in an existing system to make sure they work properly,
2) Obtain a hard drive and see if the system magically POSTS with one installed.

Other than that, i'm out of ideas at the moment.  Thanks for your continued help everyone.

secularflesh

Activity: 18

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:23:42 PM

What kind of memory are you using? Try putting your RAM in the other three slots.
Crypt_Current (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 03:59:19 AM

What kind of memory are you using? Try putting your RAM in the other three slots.

I did try that... still nothing.  I ended up returning the mobo and cpu to Newegg... I would have liked to have kept one or the other if it still worked, but couldn't determine which was the culprit, so i sent them both back.  I actually asked for an exchange, but they ended up giving me a refund, which I thought was interesting because they have a "no refund, only exchange" policy on CPUs.

Just this evening, I obtained an open-box ASUS board (I trust that brand more than MSI anyway) and an Athlon X2 for a fairly good price... Can't mess with it tonight because I have school work.

I only have until Sunday to find out if these 5830s are actually functional, because that's when their RMA period ends. They should be; the fans came on.  It irritates me that I can't convince any of my local friends to allow me to test them in their comps >:-(

So hopefully I'll have the beginnings of my first mining rig up and going tomorrow...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: