Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:40:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: SilkRoad domain Seized?  (Read 46592 times)
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:08:56 PM

Guys, do you really believe the hitman story??? Seriously???  
Don't you think the blackmailer and the hitman were, in fact, the same person simply scamming him?

Anyway, whether it really happened or not, the fact is that he probably had the intention to do it, which is enough to say he is a scumbag..

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
arabianights

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:11:03 PM

The question is, how Atlantis already knew it a couple of days ago... FBI honeypot theory confirmed?

I'm guessing DPR tipped off Atlantis that he was being investigated and was about to go down. They then made an educated decision to not continue down the same path. Just a guess...

DPR got a knock and talk from HIS agents in June 2013 for the seized fake IDs he ordered. He must of known or had some idea that shit was about to hit the fan.

I take it we can assume some alphabet agency used the fake IDs to gain the dump of SR?
Magazine

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:11:06 PM

Don't you think the blackmailer and the hitman were, in fact, the same person simply scamming him?

Anyway, whether it really happened or not, the fact is that he probably had the intention to do it, which is enough to say he is a scumbag..

I wrote this is another thread, clearly working together.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:11:36 PM

How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..

I'd say that your "libertarian idol" just crapped his pants, and gave away ALL his passwords immediately.

Some of you justifying the hitman thing on DPR "protecting people lives" by "protecting their secrets" is laughable at best. Everything indicates that he gave access to everything as soon as he got caught, and the hitman thing was just a "Walter White" thing to protect HIS BUSINESS AND HIS MONEY, that's it.

Plus, you just do not execute somebody, adding that he lives with "wife + 3 kids", if you are not a psycho fuck.

Ipsum

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:12:34 PM

I had the same initial reaction as almost everyone else here to the hitman claims - and personally now I've thought about it, I would never get a hitman for reasons explained later.

But instead of just condemning him for it, you should at least try to see where he was coming from. If many thousands of silk road users were revealed, I guarantee there would have been at least a few deaths and many lives ruined.

The naivete required to believe that a drug lord bringing in that kind of money tries to have someone killed for humanitarian reasons is astounding.

His income was threatened and so he decided to kill the guy who posed a risk to his $$.
TheEmperor

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:12:38 PM

He should have just hired a hacker to destroy or retrieve the data back. Probably would have been cheaper than 150k too. Huh

How do you make sure "the hacker" destroyed/retrieved all copies? Roll Eyes
How do you make sure "the hacker", later, will not blackmail you with the same data you paid him to destroy/retrieve?

True.

But also consider that the guy was using Tor, coupled with the nature of his business, it would stand to reason that during this time he may have come in to contact with people with these capabilities and formed trusting relationships?

1. Buy a sword.
2. Name it Kindness.
3. Kill people with Kindness.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:13:00 PM

How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..

that's for me the BIG question! How did they actually seized them? Probably, reading the criminal complaint, the Special Agent Tarbell has a good understanding of Bitcoin so he has the know-how.. still I wonder how are they managing the account? What they will do with it?

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
VolanicEruptor

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

I thought it was obvious that nobody got killed.  There was no record of homicides in White Rock, BC at that time...
There doesn't seem to be any doubt that he was being scammed, why would "friendlychemist" give contact info of his own creditor??  Nobody would be that stupid, so of course it was him on a different account.   The picture he received of the dead body was probably faked with some ketchup and makeup.  This "pirate" lacked life experience, and seemed to overlook a lot of things.. his young age and lack of experience is what ended him.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:13:49 PM

Blackmailing is aggression by definition.

I know for sure that I would never even think of ending somebody's life because of MONEY. The blackmailer was asking for money, he was not threatening to go after him and live his kids fatherless - which in fact is what DPR chose to do.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:15:40 PM

Oh, great. So if an article on mises.org says that blackmailing IS aggression because its against your property, then murdering is OK. If on the contrary it says that blackmailing is not an aggression by itself, then murdering is not OK.

Mind-blowing indeed. Some of you love a tad too much your books, there is people that adores their constitution (or their favorite Rothbard book) just like Muslims blindly adore their Coran or Christians their Bible.

Logic != faith.
One concludes blackmailing is not an aggression after following a long series of logical deductions - that will not be found entirely on the link I posted, it's much longer than only that - not by blindly trusting the tales of ancient book that supposedly contains the words of a super-powerful divinity.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:16:28 PM

arabianights, you are whining about losers and scum - useless addicts and perverts. WTF man!?

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:16:56 PM

How did they have such quick access to his BTC wallet?  You would think it would be password encrypted, or something..

I'd say that your "libertarian idol" just crapped his pants, and gave away ALL his passwords immediately.

Some of you justifying the hitman thing on DPR "protecting people lives" by "protecting their secrets" is laughable at best. Everything indicates that he gave access to everything as soon as he got caught, and the hitman thing was just a "Walter White" thing to protect HIS BUSINESS AND HIS MONEY, that's it.

Plus, you just do not execute somebody, adding that he lives with "wife + 3 kids", if you are not a psycho fuck.

He added that to help the assassin and lower the chances of the wife and kids dying without this being the intention. It is valuable intel when handing out such an assignment ...

You are REALLY scaring me. We have different ethics indeed.

Anyhow, I'm glad this was very probably just DPR being scammed. Come on, the "redandwhite" guy contacted him ON BEHALF of FriendlyChemistry, WTF?

I don't know if you remember the "BASICAsic" scam we had here on the forums, but the "I represent the people to whom the scammer owes money" was used repeatedly too, it seems to me like a very old and stupid trick...

greaterninja

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:18:47 PM

It really says this is what the world truly is.  This is our environment.  We must adapt or be exploited by people like this or just keep our heads in the sand.  People will do crazy things when it comes to protecting themselves and their money.  All in the quest for keeping power.
pontiacg5

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:19:27 PM

If I was going to blackmail someone like that I'd set up some fail safes to make sure the info I was holding was not lost if I was.

Think about it, wouldn't he say "give me $500k or a web server hidden somewhere in the world will release the info I have."

None of that "murder plot" stuff makes sense, at all. More holes than a whorehouse...

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:20:11 PM

He should have just hired a hacker to destroy or retrieve the data back. Probably would have been cheaper than 150k too. Huh

How do you make sure "the hacker" destroyed/retrieved all copies? Roll Eyes
How do you make sure "the hacker", later, will not blackmail you with the same data you paid him to destroy/retrieve?

True.

But also consider that the guy was using Tor, coupled with the nature of his business, it would stand to reason that during this time he may have come in to contact with people with these capabilities and formed trusting relationships?

Trusting relationships and lots of money usually don't get along very well Wink
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:20:28 PM

Oh, great. So if an article on mises.org says that blackmailing IS aggression because its against your property, then murdering is OK. If on the contrary it says that blackmailing is not an aggression by itself, then murdering is not OK.

Mind-blowing indeed. Some of you love a tad too much your books, there is people that adores their constitution (or their favorite Rothbard book) just like Muslims blindly adore their Coran or Christians their Bible.

Logic != faith.
One concludes blackmailing is not an aggression after following a long series of logical deductions - that will not be found entirely on the link I posted, it's much longer than only that - not by blindly trusting the tales of ancient book that supposedly contains the words of a super-powerful divinity.

I don't need to conclude anything, I know by heart I would never kill anybody unless my own life (or the life of my kids or wife) was in immediate danger.

DPR's life was not in danger - his business was. That's despicable.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:20:48 PM

Guys don't believe the assassination story so quickly. According to the official documents nobody seems to have actually been killed or even exist by the alleged names recovered from Silk Road servers, which have been in FBI custody...

That kind of personality seems totally out of character for DPR. I don't know him but his postings show clear thoughtfulness, like his response to the closing of Atlantis, or his posted rules for SR instead of letting it be an "I don't care what you do, just pay me bitcoins" environment. Hardly seems the type to be ruthless about murder. On the other hand the Feds would look good framed that way, like the heroes who shut down this site with illegal (according to US law) drugs from this clearly evil person.

Before you convict DPR keep in mind the assassination target seems not to exist.
tmbp

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:21:39 PM

My tiny little eye spots many people believing the feds without hesitation, did you know the guy? Are you actually stupid enough to believe what the feds tell you?

They are strongly motivated to discredit DRP, I would not be surprised if it involved the alleged hit and even an elaborate campaign.

I mean would you believe Pablo Escobars cartel if they made the same accusations? How are the feds different? They are behind the same government that murders people and then lies about it.
greaterninja

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:22:02 PM

If I was going to blackmail someone like that I'd set up some fail safes to make sure the info I was holding was not lost if I was.

Think about it, wouldn't he say "give me $500k or a web server hidden somewhere in the world will release the info I have."

None of that "murder plot" stuff makes sense, at all. More holes than a whorehouse...

It sounds more like a lure.  Think of it this way.   I am hacker A and I have information on Vendor B.  Give me money or I will release info on Vendor B, C, D, E.   Yet Vendor B, C, D, E are associated with hacker A.

DPR then falls for the trap.  he replies back and sends a traceable transaction.  Bamm...feds got him for 2 more things now.  I mean, having people pose as hitmen is one of the oldest lures in history.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 09:24:15 PM

Anyhow, I'm glad this was very probably just DPR being scammed. Come on, the "redandwhite" guy contacted him ON BEHALF of FriendlyChemistry, WTF?

I don't know if you remember the "BASICAsic" scam we had here on the forums, but the "I represent the people to whom the scammer owes money" was used repeatedly too, it seems to me like a very old and stupid trick...

We finally agree on something Smiley

I'm curious: would you hire an assassin (or DIY) to avenge someone killing someone you love?

I would definitely not hire an assassin in any case, I'm simply not that cold blooded. As 99% of human beings, I would use lethal force against someone immediately threatening to kill me or my family.

Revenge? I don't really know, I guess I *could* go berserk and do something very bad to someone that murdered one my kids or my wife, but even that I'm not so sure. It depends on many things, and in any case if it happened it would be an irrational and blind reaction motivated by hopeless anger, not a cold-blooded murder.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: