Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 07:23:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Contracts  (Read 12232 times)
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:18:44 AM

Nah,  I meant to do any sort of system around it.  The only way in given system to "resell" their hashing would be manual for you and blind for the shareholders as there is no way they could see their hashing nor anyway to at all automate your purchasing or assignments.

The least that would be needed to resell would be a way to expose hashing information to shareholders.  Who would want to own hashin they can't even see production from  just an occasional bitcoin payout.

Not you, but that doesn't mean your views represent everyone  Wink

Ultimately trust in the miner/seller is paramount.  Transparency would alleviate some of the trust issues as you point out...

briehost (OP)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:31:07 PM

Do any of these services allow you to point to the pool of your choice? Diff 1 shares are a crude estimate but I think probability would smooth out given a large enough hashrate or enough time, also I imagine you would have to trust the pool Tongue

To brie or not to brie...
crudpuppy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:29:07 PM

Don't know about the "contract" companies as most seem to be scammish to me but cex.io is a no you point to ghash.io period. 

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
briehost (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 05:23:39 PM

Yeah that's what it seems like. Just wanted to confirm. Thanks

fattypig

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 12:57:47 AM

Hey everyone,

With the advent of ASICMiner selling shares, I have been seeing a lot of Mining Contracts lately. I remember seeing them before but it seems to have become a lot bigger with ASICMiner on the scene. I have seen cex.io ads here on BitcoinTalk, which is selling contracts through ghash.io. I have even have found mining contracts for sale on ebay.

I have spoken with some people on the matter and a lot are interested in the idea of getting a constant payout over a period of time without needing to maintain machines, but I wonder if this is the only reason people are interested in such deals. It certainly seems like avoiding the headache of having to maintain machines yourself is a big plus, but why not just buy into Bitcoin?

I would like to get a feel for the hash brokering economy so I would like to ask you all the following Smiley

Are you interested in mining contracts? Why?
Have you used any services such as cex.io? Are you happy?
Have you seen any scrypt mining contracts offered?
Do you think there's an interest in mining contracts? Why?
Who do you think is the main consumer of such products?

These are just questions to start the discussion, I am very interested in seeing what everyone thinks!

Apart from avoiding the headache to having to maintain the machine, place to put, baby, noise and heat is also one of the concern (at least for me).

briehost (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 04:07:21 PM

Apart from avoiding the headache to having to maintain the machine, place to put, baby, noise and heat is also one of the concern (at least for me).

Indeed, if properly implemented I do see this as something which could be very valuable for the community, at least those who do not want or know how to maintain such a machine. Some issues may be the further centralization of mining (although in physical terms more than payout terms), however I think it will help level out the demand of mining equipment vs. the demand for bitcoin in fiat terms. I believe that this overall will lead to more stable growth in mining and a true representation of the value of mining itself.

crudpuppy

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 01:10:38 AM

Yeah the idea of contracts is great just haven't seen any implemented other then to screw their customers.  CEX.io is not a contract selling site but instead straight buy a ghs with BTC and sell it back to other users at anytime tracked just like say LTC to BTC and back basically.  Prices flux a lot not sure about trying to make BTC buy and selling but I like putting some of my mining profit in here to add more GHs to my overall mining so some real at home and some virtual with cex.io

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
byteminr

Activity: 574
Merit: 256

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 07:20:32 AM

Do any of these services allow you to point to the pool of your choice? Diff 1 shares are a crude estimate but I think probability would smooth out given a large enough hashrate or enough time, also I imagine you would have to trust the pool Tongue

We will be adding this as a feature to our virtual rigs as soon as we can.(Hopefully) within a month.

www.byteminr.com
j0b314

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:27:18 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 10:21:17 PM by MiningBuddy

Just wanted to add the bit mining company to the list - http://bit-mining.co/ .*

Started yesterday and happy with its ease of use. Entry point is not bad at .051btc. Good for folks starting up on contract mining, registered in a few mins and started hashing away.

Surprised it's not getting as much attention here in BTCtalk, so spreading the word.

*yep referral link. Just in case. Smiley
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3276

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:58:18 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2013, 06:00:32 PM by odolvlobo

Just wanted to add the bit mining company to the list
Started yesterday and happy with its ease of use. Entry point is not bad at .051btc.

0.051 BTC per GH/s is better than cex.io, but it still costs more than you will mine in 4 years, especially with the 8% fee.

Edit: 0.51 -> 0.051

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
fs2k155

Activity: 35

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 03:15:03 PM

Just wanted to add the bit mining company to the list
Started yesterday and happy with its ease of use. Entry point is not bad at .051btc.

0.51 BTC per GH/s is better than cex.io, but it still costs more than you will mine in 4 years, especially with the 8% fee.

It looks to me like 0.051 BTC per GHS not 0.51. At 0.051 ROI has a chance of going positive in the second year. Of course that's dependent on assumptions which are highly subjective person to person. The real curious thing for me is to watch how the price of this will have to drop over time in order to remain viable, at least for people who do somewhat realistic calculations before investing. We've all seen (ebay) places where expectations are completely out of line with reality, so who knows, this may be selling pretty quickly. The other concern with any longer term investment is the stability of the holder. Currently I do not see the risk/reward being high enough to invest in something like this. If there was any chance that I could see a positive ROI in year one, or even doubling of my investment by year four, then it might be worth a small investment. As it is, there is no appeal here other than curiosity, which might get me to buy 1GHS from them, who knows.

I do disagree that this can be compared with cex.io. I think that looking at cex.io as a mining operation is not understanding the commodity market of GHS there. Today, especially one day before another significant difficulty change, I'd be stupid to spend 0.07 BTC for 1GHS, but I think it is reasonable to deposit 0.07 BTC short term for an instantly accruing interest. Long-term I'd be worried about the principle significantly declining in value.

mobile

Activity: 400
Merit: 250

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 07:56:06 PM

These guys selling these mining contracts on ebay must be making a killing at the prices they are selling them at...

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
clarkey2013

Activity: 310

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 08:05:51 PM

These guys selling these mining contracts on ebay must be making a killing at the prices they are selling them at...

but i wounder how many get charge backs after the contract is up  Undecided
tuaris

Activity: 778
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2013, 09:01:31 AM

I don't understand the value of the mining contracts on eBay.  For example there is one that sells for $10 for 1 hour at 120GH/s.   I would only earn $2.66 per hour mining bitcoins at 120GH/s with the current difficulty.

Why someone would buy this when they would loose money on it?

kuverty

Activity: 770

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 06:04:09 AM

I don't understand the value of the mining contracts on eBay.  For example there is one that sells for $10 for 1 hour at 120GH/s.   I would only earn $2.66 per hour mining bitcoins at 120GH/s with the current difficulty.

Why someone would buy this when they would loose money on it?

I don't understand any of the stuff on eBay involving cryptocurrencies. Like any cryptocurrency selling for 5x the price on exchanges. Some people say that the buyers are scammers and easily win any dispute but recently I've also read on these forums that this is not the case but people are just greedy/stupid and eager to buy anything... hard to say because I don't have personal experience with selling but I doubt it would be a very good idea, otherwise there should be people doing it.
FalconFly

Activity: 252

Sentinel

View Profile
December 15, 2013, 09:46:34 AM
Last edit: December 30, 2013, 03:09:04 PM by FalconFly

I've spent some time as well looking at virtual mining...

The outcome basically was :

The best offers are basically the cleanest "dirty shirts", meaning they do seem 100% legit but hardly offer anything close to ROI.

cex.io right now is basically costing you very roughly 50% of your investment based on ~50% ROI at their BTC/GHs price of ~0.074BTC (achieving those 50% in the end requires you to run the purchased GHs nearly until the output becomes miniscule). These figures are compensated by the GHs resale price you might achieve (which we only know will be low if you run it for >3 months). If you're lucky, you make a tiny profit in the end (if they can maintain the inflated GHs prices) but it's unlikely as it depends mostly on BTC valuation. The business model seems to work better for some people trading (presumably with Bots).
cex.io are the only winners in this game. Plus, they can and have changed the rules at their will (fees). You on the other hand don't have this flexibility, as you're on the receiving side only.
Everything not rented to virtual mining is running for themselfes at true cost, everything else is rented out for the mentioned surplus GHs price + fees. Win-Win for them, not so much for the customer.
....looks all sexy but doesn't add up as profitable for mining. Still better than EBay deals though, that must be said and in case of complete lack of alternatives - one might take a shot at it.

All the others I found had some rules or fee/business models that simply tilt the profit even much more in their direction than yours, they're made to look shiny but the small print clearly stinks to heaven.
Most methods seem based on the (apparently lucrative) assumption that customers either are incapable or can't be bothered with math. Most will agree especially beginners take some to get their research package complete and aquire a valid overview of what's out there & how it works.

Everything I found on EBay basically were blatant rip-offs that hope to catch a newbie wrong-footed.

My conclusion for now is to avoid any middle men as they only want your best : your BTC. They only seem to vary at the level of aggressiveness with which they try to skim it off your wallet.

I'd rather calculate my own hardware and take my risks.
Plus, the old wisdom if you can't touch it, you don't own it still holds true. Bad things could happen to any of these virtual mining services at anytime, while I at home would still have all the options & the hardware.

Additionally, I'd miss my tiny mining rig Wink

PS.
If there's a legit virtual mining gem actually realizing acceptable ROI for its customers, I simply haven't found it.
Other than that, it looks all like "shark tank with nice window dressing" to me, at times it seems just about everything BTC related is. Harsh world out there, never act without using a calculator and lots of research  + common sense out there.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Group Bitcoin

Activity: 180

Cloud Mining & Colocation

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2013, 01:02:34 AM

who else is selling shares?

See http://www.groupbitcoin.com/ for mining contracts.

Jeanke

Activity: 3

View Profile
December 28, 2013, 04:41:35 PM

Does anyone have experience with bitservers.biz ?

I'm not sure if they are a scam or not?
illinois

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2013, 12:53:39 PM

well is not to reccomand... they'll start in april...2014
Group Bitcoin

Activity: 180

Cloud Mining & Colocation

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2013, 12:59:08 AM

well is not to reccomand... they'll start in april...2014

reccomand ? Yeah anyway it's the same as buying from Cointerra direct, you would still have to wait until April but you just don't have to front so much money and get it all on your own.

(considering running costs) Paying an extra £40-£50 per 100Gh/s for a year of hosted mining with monthly payouts isn't a rough deal.

Unless it's a scam! Due to the fact I run it with my Brother in law and can categorically say it's not, I'd definitely 'reccomand' !

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: