Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:46:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is the siezure of Silk Road a good thing for the BTC economy or a bad thing?
Positive - 156 (61.9%)
Negative - 44 (17.5%)
No Impact - 52 (20.6%)
Total Voters: 252

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you see Silk Road's closure as a positive or negative?  (Read 8139 times)
CrazyRabbi

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:21:51 PM

Positive. I've seen some people who were scared of BTC because they thought it was illegal, or only used for illegal transactions.

I am scared because SR is down and ASIC market is oversaturated...

so, what are bitcoins used for lately? bot wars on markets?

Man I mean absolutely no offense but bitcoins have absolutely endless amounts of other things you can purchase with them.

Please stop thinking Silk Road is the only thing you can use with Bitcoins and the reason Bitcoins hold a value.

Check this Wikipedia page and keep in mind this is just a tiny fraction of the things you can do with Bitcoins

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cryptasm
Legendary

Activity: 997
Merit: 1002

Gamdom.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 01:22:54 PM

Only positive I can see is that it's opened up the market for more silkroad alternatives, thus more competition and better deals for the customers. People can learn from the mistakes/sacrifice of DPR and we can mock the FBI for their epic failure in trying to control the online drug trade  Grin
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:25:53 PM

Bots are just for buying and selling at the price other people are willing to pay for Bitcoins at...

When I say WE THE PEOPLE I mean more then one person Cheesy

you are suggesting that we all are ready to pay 120 $ for a bitcoin.

that is not true.

CrazyRabbi

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:27:22 PM

Only positive I can see is that it's opened up the market for more silkroad alternatives, thus more competition and better deals for the customers. People can learn from the mistakes/sacrifice of DPR and we can mock the FBI for their epic failure in trying to control the online drug trade  Grin

Why do we need an online drug trade for Bitcoin?

Why not just have one for Novacoin...

All the druggies can buy their drugs with a dirty cryptocurrency considering they are dirty drug addicts...

CrazyRabbi

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:27:53 PM

Bots are just for buying and selling at the price other people are willing to pay for Bitcoins at...

When I say WE THE PEOPLE I mean more then one person Cheesy

you are suggesting that we all are ready to pay 120 $ for a bitcoin.

that is not true.

I am not...

I'm suggesting SOMEONE is...

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:29:27 PM

Check this Wikipedia page and keep in mind this is just a tiny fraction of the things you can do with Bitcoins

The real question is what can you do with cash?  While I suppose you can't roll up a Bitcoin and snort cocaine with it, you can buy the cocaine with it.  Just like cash.  I think it is actually worse than cash for illegal purposes because of its non-repudiability, and actually less anonymous than cash for the same reason.  That's partly why it's galling for it to be linked to illegal activity, tax evasion and money laundering when nothing could be further from the truth.

Some have used it for those purposes, but it is actually not particularly well-suited to them.  It is actually better for legal economic activities than many of the fiat alternatives, especially for international trade where it can bypass currency exchanges and act as a universal currency.

If a vendor in Iran wants to sell a rug to someone in France, they can set a BTC price and it can be paid by anyone anywhere.  Neither the buyer nor the vendor have to know anything about the exchange rate or even know what currency the other country uses.
MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:33:16 PM

i believe that the silkroad closure is a GOOD thing in the long run although loosing over 600k bitcoins to the feds is a really BAD thing , i would support a movement for the fbi to sell the coins back into circulation so they can help bitcoin move forward and not reduce the coins by 5% . saying that the sale of over 600k coins would drop the price massively and again we would all suffer that for a month or 2 until the price rose again , im invested in bitcoin so im here until the system is no more!!!

FBI SELL THE COINS BACK
tarmi
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:35:00 PM

I am not...

some were eager to buy it at 266 $.

that doesnt mean anything.
CrazyRabbi

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:36:33 PM

The real question is what can you do with cash?  While I suppose you can't roll up a Bitcoin and snort cocaine with it, you can buy the cocaine with it.  Just like cash.  I think it is actually worse than cash for illegal purposes because of its non-repudiability, and actually less anonymous than cash for the same reason.  That's partly why it's galling for it to be linked to illegal activity, tax evasion and money laundering when nothing could be further from the truth.

Some have used it for those purposes, but it is actually not particularly well-suited to them.  It is actually better for legal economic activities than many of the fiat alternatives, especially for international trade where it can bypass currency exchanges and act as a universal currency.

If a vendor in Iran wants to sell a rug to someone in France, they can set a BTC price and it can be paid by anyone anywhere.  Neither the buyer nor the vendor have to know anything about the exchange rate or even know what currency the other country uses.

I agree with you on this %100 and the possibilities with Bitcoins are endless. Bitcoin to me is just the starting stones on an endless amount of evolution. It's not IF it will evolve it's WHEN and by how much. Personally I am in it for the long run and Bitcoin has opened up the door to me for countless amounts of good things. It has a long future and has been through alot and over time it just gets stronger. At the current time I don't believe you can kill Bitcoin (Unless you have major money to waste and a planned %51 attack). Bitcoin has proven resilient to nearly every crash. What doesn't kill Bitcoin just makes it stronger and I can't wait to see what happens.

MerchantMiner

Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:37:33 PM

i would like to use bit coins for :

1) Paying Rent
2) Paying Electric & Gas
3) Paying for Grocery's
4) Paying for Games & In Game Content
5) telling the Bank to FUCK OFF with their slave paper and Credit (DEBT)

This is why i do Mining
CrazyRabbi

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:39:06 PM

I am not...

some were eager to buy it at 266 $.

that doesnt mean anything.

I really don't get your point...

I've proven to you several times Bitcoins are what WE the people find them to be worth and saying people are buying them at $266 proves exactly that...

I'm not sure what it doesn't mean it clearly means it's worth whatever YOU/WE the people think it is...

SolidSnke

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 01:40:21 PM

i would like to use bit coins for :

1) Paying Rent
2) Paying Electric & Gas
3) Paying for Grocery's
4) Paying for Games & In Game Content
5) telling the Bank to FUCK OFF with their slave paper and Credit (DEBT)

This is why i do Mining

Agreed!

ralree

Activity: 518

Manateeeeeeees

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:49:02 PM

I think it's a good thing.  Something will take its place anyway, and hopefully someone who doesn't engage in contract murder will run it.

1MANaTeEZoH4YkgMYz61E5y4s9BYhAuUjG
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:49:29 PM

Of course it's positive.
If you don't like the drug laws in the U.S. then get out of your mom's basement and do something about it. Bitcoin is not the nanny you have been waiting for to end social ills. It is a payment system. You are still going to have to fight for your rights one at a time. Bitcoin is also not going to be a tax free anomaly, different from all other appreciating assets. Again, if you don't like the tax laws, write your congressman and stop wasting your time posting here.
The future of bitcoin will be shaped by those who reach out to regulators and businesses, not by those who type with Caps Lock on.  

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
rwfreshmore

Merit: 6

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 01:51:32 PM

Very Very negative. The community will lose a great number of users if no one steps into fill the gap. BitCoin is all about Anarchy, Freedom and anonymity. I can't believe people in the Bitcoin community are saying this is a positive thing. I think Obama libtards have finally infiltrated the community. Sad sad day this is Sad

It is sad. It's going to get much worse. Bitcoin is the basis of a one world borderless digital currency. Regulation and identity will happen in meatspace by the same people running that now on top of the US dollar. I can't even be bothered arguing this anymore. It's so completely obvious that only the delusional and misinformed would bother debating it. Greed will have people registering their coins and btc addresses in the long run.

Black markets will always exist for outliers and subversives.
rwfreshmore

Merit: 6

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 02:22:55 PM

Very Very negative. The community will lose a great number of users if no one steps into fill the gap. BitCoin is all about Anarchy, Freedom and anonymity. I can't believe people in the Bitcoin community are saying this is a positive thing. I think Obama libtards have finally infiltrated the community. Sad sad day this is Sad

It is sad. It's going to get much worse. Bitcoin is the basis of a one world borderless digital currency. Regulation and identity will happen in meatspace by the same people running that now on top of the US dollar. I can't even be bothered arguing this anymore. It's so completely obvious that only the delusional and misinformed would bother debating it. Greed will have people registering their coins and btc addresses in the long run.

Black markets will always exist for outliers and subversives.

Apply your palm to your face you'll feel much better...

I feel great. I think anyone who doesn't accept this is the future of a widely adopted bitcoin is just prolonging the inevitable disappointment. The time of pushing the Satoshi fairytale as a means to promote adoption amongst the anti-central banking crowd is over. You can stop. Bitcoin adoption is happening because people with actual money understand what it is and why authoritarians love it. Can't be counterfeited, management offloaded to users, completely trackable once services are offered that require identity. As the "legitimate" market matures the price will rise and that rise in price will pull early adopters and developers into the legitimate market because of greed. Anonymous transactions will be left to the authorities and an ever shrinking black market.
darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:05:39 PM

Anonymous transactions will be left to the authorities and an ever shrinking black market.

That surely hasn't happened in the real world with fiat money, and it seems unlikely to happen with Bitcoin either.  There will always be black markets in any functioning currency.
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2013, 04:08:47 PM

Very positive.

Regards

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
j68r

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:34:11 PM

Anarchy:a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.Now lets move on.

Anarchy actually means "without rulers". That's it.

Somehow the definition has been expanded to include chaos. Who would benefit from this inclusion? I can only think of one group.

Exactly, the same group that fear real democracy and real free markets, and somewhat paradoxically the same group that never stops bleating on about how they uphold those things. Of course you need to exert total power and control over everyone in order to provide them, isn't that right...

1Bjgt6S6Mk3GsAPM4Mx4RGS4zYhoFURyCZ
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 07, 2013, 04:41:44 PM

What she said.

People deserve safe access to their medicine, no matter how fucked up their laws are.  Since when is it up to somebody other than me to chose what goes in my body?  Guess that right was lost a while ago.

Silk Road is a market place of freedom and showed just how viably society can function without some dictating body in place.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: