Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:15:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining , still worth it?  (Read 7265 times)
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
April 02, 2018, 10:57:14 PM

Anyway, mining rigs are much cheaper now.

It's  not confirmed.  GPU are still overpriced

I completely agree!
The situation is certainly improving, but still the GPU is still overrated, and not bad enough.
Annual cards from hands on the ads now sell at prices for which we bought them a year ago new in the store!  Grin

The recent official video from Corsair tells about the abusive use of GPU's in mining. In their opinion, they should stick to their original price and with gamers, and shouldn't be over-priced and used by miners.

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-sides-with-gamers-in-video-mocking-cryptocurrency-mining/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dimpsk

Activity: 112
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 04:57:08 AM

I completely agree!
The situation is certainly improving, but still the GPU is still overrated, and not bad enough.
Annual cards from hands on the ads now sell at prices for which we bought them a year ago new in the store!  Grin

The recent official video from Corsair tells about the abusive use of GPU's in mining. In their opinion, they should stick to their original price and with gamers, and shouldn't be over-priced and used by miners.

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-sides-with-gamers-in-video-mocking-cryptocurrency-mining/

Thay's funny, thanks Smiley
dimpsk

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 04:59:25 AM

I completely agree!

Agreed. I look at the current prices at stock and e-bay, then remember where it was year ago and than do nothing. Too much.
raiderosik

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:43:54 AM

Guys but since last 2-3 month price for GPU went down a bit( as example rx 570)  just 2 months ago they were hiting 550$++ and now i can find them even under 400$ so price is hitting lower.  I can agree its not a price where they should be( for example begining price when they went out) but its better then overpriced 550$...
ANyway if the market will not hit back to the top, the price will drop aswell, so lets see how it goes;)
cheers!

Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 10:38:50 AM

Mining is still worth it of course, and it'll remain that way until we have PoW crypto-currencies running smoothly. Profitability sometimes increases and decreases, so if you're going with the safe strategy, it's still worth it.

Spot on. Is it "worth it" depends on personal expectations.
Oakey22

Activity: 488
Merit: 322

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:00:23 AM

People expect the same profits that we have seen from the last 12 months, this is natural of people to assume this if they are new.

Lets remember mining is not about profit and is about securing the blockchain you believe in.
arbifahrozy

Activity: 896
Merit: 100

$CYBERCASH METAVERSE

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 11:42:01 AM

i think now be painful for those who have miners. as usual they per month get 1 eth.
which changes only its eth price only and to get eth still the same.

just keep calm and learn from mistake

Mike011

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:18:48 PM

Lets remember mining is not about profit and is about securing the blockchain you believe in.

Sure.. Thats exactly what i had in mind when i bought shitloads of graphic cards last year and payed them a lot of money. I told to myself: "damn, these cards are expensive, but i just know that they will secure dat blockchain!".

Get real. We`re in it for the money. Also stop mixing blockchain tech with crypto currencies.
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 02:25:47 PM

Sure.. Thats exactly what i had in mind when i bought shitloads of graphic cards last year and payed them a lot of money. I told to myself: "damn, these cards are expensive, but i just know that they will secure dat blockchain!".

Get real. We`re in it for the money. Also stop mixing blockchain tech with crypto currencies.

then be in it for the long term... don't sell things you mine right away. If you are unable to pay for the electricity out of pocket then maybe you should stop mining. 
Mike011

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 04:00:08 PM

then be in it for the long term... don't sell things you mine right away. If you are unable to pay for the electricity out of pocket then maybe you should stop mining. 

No, i`m fine. I mine with a plan. And it`s a long term one. I just wanted to make it clear that, at least for me, i am in this game solely for the profit and nothing else.
gwestcot

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 05:29:22 PM

No, i`m fine. I mine with a plan. And it`s a long term one. I just wanted to make it clear that, at least for me, i am in this game solely for the profit and nothing else.

That is your prerogative of course but I am in it to free us from fiat which is doomed to fail. I would love to create a stable crypto that people can actually use for a reliable means of transacting. I am actually working towards a project now to do just that.  Wink
sigtmerchant

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 05:30:04 PM

Never say never What starts for pure profit may later transform into great interest and even passion for the technology behind it.

dimpsk

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:12:44 PM

That is your prerogative of course but I am in it to free us from fiat which is doomed to fail. I would love to create a stable crypto that people can actually use for a reliable means of transacting. I am actually working towards a project now to do just that.  Wink

I share this view. World centrobanks did enough to destroy trust in fiat money at last few years.
SirEGB

Activity: 142
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:17:17 PM

The level of "this is bad" has reached new levels. I am paying a lot on electricity per kWh and right now I am barely breaking even. ETH is under $400... I am very very close to unplugging...
Mike011

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:37:24 PM

All the best with the project mate  Smiley And if i may add yours is a noble path.
dimpsk

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:48:23 PM

The level of "this is bad" has reached new levels. I am paying a lot on electricity per kWh and right now I am barely breaking even. ETH is under $400... I am very very close to unplugging...

At first you may mine at night with a chipper electricity
gwestcot

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 06:52:21 PM

All the best with the project mate  Smiley And if i may add yours is a noble path.

Thanks I will need it... Price stabilization in a decentralized manner is a tall task but I donate about 12 hours of research a day toward that goal.
NateDoggETH

Activity: 76
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 07:46:08 PM

I still think it is worth it. depends on your strategy though.

I checked my pool address just now and I am expecting 1.9 ETH a month (went up by .09) and I pay $230 for unlimited electricity for my house. I know this number can fluctuate based off of difficulty.

I am not worried about the price per ETH at this moment because I am still making close to $800/month at todays prices. I am mostly mining for the coins at this point though. I am looking for a big jump on prices throughout the year and will sell at that time.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:15:03 PM

Guys but since last 2-3 month price for GPU went down a bit( as example rx 570)  just 2 months ago they were hiting 550$++ and now i can find them even under 400$ so price is hitting lower.  I can agree its not a price where they should be( for example begining price when they went out) but its better then overpriced 550$...
ANyway if the market will not hit back to the top, the price will drop aswell, so lets see how it goes;)
cheers!

NEWEGG pricing (not the third-party sellers there) was more like $400-$450 for most RX 470/480/570/580 at the "2-3 months ago" peak - so they have dropped some but not as much as you claim (lowest NEW listing the last 2-3 days at $339).
They DID get into the $550+ range briefly a YEAR ago on internal pricing.

Nvidia availability has gotten a TON better the last 2 weeks, though mostly MSI and Gigabyte models, and the price has dropped some - I think most of the price premium there at this point is due to "RAM shortage gouge pricing".

As long as coin prices don't jump again, GPU price should keep sliding slowly while availability gets better.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
RoftheN

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2018, 09:35:45 PM

Can you get cheap Electricity?
Maybe

Can you get free electricity?
It's profitable

Is the electricity expensive?
Better to buy the coins you would want to mine

Did someone gift you free GPUs and you're not sure?
You can give it a try and see what it does, maybe do something bad and steal some eletricity somewhere, maybe it's even profitable without doing it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 »
  Print  

Jump to: