Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:34:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: How HARD is it to trace someone on bitcointalk?  (Read 4694 times)
LittleD (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:03:00 AM

Say... Roll Eyes some one Scams YOU and you want to file a Lawsuit against them Huh I haven’t had this happen to me but just in case.  Wink  Grin

Thanks

Fallow me on Twitter  ~ Please donate for a cup of Coffee 1KtqBcK7dVPjFugCcCM7G2MGzTZaQH1FTQ Smiley
https://www.cryptsy.com/users/register?refid=11253 ~ StayFocus!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gadman2
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:08:09 AM

You'd be extremely surprised at how the smallest clue can turn into someone knowing everything about you.

dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:09:03 AM

Say... Roll Eyes some one Scams YOU and you want to file a Lawsuit against them Huh I haven’t had this happen to me but just in case.  Wink  Grin

Thanks

It will be likely that the admin have access to the IP address which the person log on to this forum. But if this person is a scammer, they most likely will be using Tor, so it will not be their real IP address.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:13:28 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 07:08:38 PM by franky1

Say... Roll Eyes some one Scams YOU and you want to file a Lawsuit against them Huh I haven’t had this happen to me but just in case.  Wink  Grin

Thanks

say someone scams you, then the first thing to do is to look at the IDENTIFICATION and proof you obtained from them(gaining trust) before even doing a trade with them  and use that.

if the articles in question were, well slightly illicit and that is the reason why both parties would not be willing to share identification before trading. then taking them to court may land you in as much trouble as them.

basically the lesson to learn.. if the amount of funds is more then lets say a fun night out at a bar, followed by a fast food meal at the end (you know disposible cash) and its worthy amount to take it to court then......... ASK FOR ID

i personally wouldnt do a bank transfer with a stranger for more then $100 and thats fully knowing the banks can find their details because its given when they open a bank account... so why would you trade using a non reversible form of payment that does not have identification automatically attached

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 12:31:01 AM

Thanks

If you're talking about a civil matter, it could be an expensive exercise if they've been even half-way cautious.  Hell, pirate's RL identity was known but it's unlikely he'd have been facing any consequences at all had the feds not got involved.

You could certainly try to get an order for theymos to disclose any information the forum has related to the account.  That information may or may not be useful.   Assuming that it looks promising, you could then try get an order for email providers and/or ISPs to disclose information they have related to the account - which may or may not be useful depending on how cautious the other party has been.

Generally speaking, it's not going to be worth the effort for small claims matters.  Even if you're talking about being scammed out of large amounts, litigation is expensive and often protracted and prevailing in court is meaningless if the other party cannot pay.

You're better off taking measures to protect yourself against being scammed than hoping that a lawsuit will bring you a satisfying result in the event that you are scammed.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
hulk

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:28:01 AM

What happen if u have the scammer details like name and id, would police do something if i go to them?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4435

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:35:15 AM

What happen if u have the scammer details like name and id, would police do something if i go to them?

if the amount was $1000 equivalent stolen, and its costs $2000 to investigate it... don't expect the police to waste resources on something that wont produce a fine big enough to cover costs

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
dope

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 02:45:04 AM

It depends what the person did...

You can't just say "this guy scammed me on this forum for $500 worth of bitcoins" because they will just laugh at your for that.

If you have something worth a good amount of money + it is some sort of legit business dealings you could have a case.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 02:52:20 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2013, 04:15:29 AM by Vod

Say... Roll Eyes some one Scams YOU and you want to file a Lawsuit against them Huh I haven’t had this happen to me but just in case.  Wink  Grin

Thanks

If a person starts out intending to scam, your chances of catching them are slim to none since they will have used anonymous tools from the start.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 03:20:38 AM

You can easily post an image such as this:

hosted on your own website.

Then anyone who views that image, such as those that are viewing this thread, will have their IP address show up in your site logs.

You can then use those IP addresses as you wish to try to trace every viewer of that image.

You can then run hacking programs on each of those IP addresses to try to gain access to their computers.

Then once in the computer there is a wealth of information that can be found on each and every person who viewed that image.

Great stuff the Internet...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:26:14 AM

There is a scam accusation thread for that.  Like someone else said you'd be surprised how much info this community can help you find on a person. And once they are identified you be suprised how quickly some of them want to pay back.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=260073.msg2774678#msg2774678

who scammed you and how much did they get.
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:49:37 AM

There is a scam accusation thread for that.  Like someone else said you'd be surprised how much info this community can help you find on a person. And once they are identified you be suprised how quickly some of them want to pay back.

No one! ~ just asking ~Im in a GB and would like some info on scammers Smiley just in-case the Guy wants to run and take our BTCBTCBTC

Thanks Grin

Fallow me on Twitter  ~ Please donate for a cup of Coffee 1KtqBcK7dVPjFugCcCM7G2MGzTZaQH1FTQ Smiley
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 03:51:54 AM

No one! ~ just asking ~Im in a GB and would like some info on scammers Smiley just in-case the Guy wants to run and take our BTCBTCBTC

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

don't even think about scamming.  You'll eventually get caught.....

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:04:33 AM

(^Great Britain, I imagine)

Thanks

If a person starts out intending to scam, your chances of catching them are slim to none since they will have uses anonymous tools from the start.

I've been thinking this less and less lately. People keep getting caught by being shockingly lazy. Ulbricht and Shavers being the two examples most deeply burned in my mind... Experimentally, the level of laziness and arrogance is usually only matched by scam victims who the scammer must be very hard-working and smart to've scammed them.
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:10:21 AM

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

GB means "group buy" ~ im in a group buy ~ i am NOT that kind of person bro! but thank you for your help!

And God spoke all these words, saying:
2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
13 “You shall not murder.
14 “You shall not commit adultery.
15 “You shall not steal.
16 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:11:21 AM

Speaking as someone who has been scammed (remember kruniac?)  It is pointless to try. Even after giving Full legal name, phone number, street address to my state troopers (and verifying above info with his local police department) nothing happened.  Short of hiring a local thug to take care of things outside of the law (I do not recommend this) you are hosed.

Your local police force won't want anything to do with it as it happened on the internet.

Their local police force won't want anything to do with it as it didn't happen in their jurisdiction, they will instruct you to file locally. (see #1)

You'll then realize that you are in a hopeless no-win hot potato game with the various authorities so you'll file with the IC3 http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx never to be heard from again.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:12:37 AM

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; 5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
7 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
12 “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
15 “You shall not steal.
17 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”

Ah, so you're just a cult wackjob trying to convert someone?

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
dhenson
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:13:36 AM

Then anyone who views that image, such as those that are viewing this thread, will have their IP address show up in your site logs.

You can then use those IP addresses as you wish to try to trace every viewer of that image.

You can then run hacking programs on each of those IP addresses to try to gain access to their computers.

Then once in the computer there is a wealth of information that can be found on each and every person who viewed that image.

Or just PM him the image so you don't have to guess at which IP it was.
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 04:21:42 AM

15 “You shall not steal.

Ah, so you're just a cult wackjob trying to convert someone?

lol ~ you got me ~

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:13:57 AM

It depends how they scammed you.  A lot of things people regard as scamming are civil issues rather than criminal offences, meaning there's nothing the police can do to help you.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 05:28:41 AM

Assuming it's theft rather than a "misleading scam," there are a good few companies which will give you information, too, if you provide them details, and especially if you're a customer wanting information on people accessing your account. For example - maybe you want as much information as possible on someone who accessed your email account without authorization. A good few companies will provide this without a LEO demand backing it up (which you pretty much need for online crimes, where the police are about as useful as a dirty sock unless the loss is for $millions), though I found Gmail is a painful exception (they may be reversing this policy some time in the future, though). Amazon EC2 was also largely uncooperative, though the provided me some registration details of the person who used the service to compromise my account. However, simply by asking, you may be rewarded with the information which leads to the big break in info you need. -but again, that assumes it's theft rather than a contract violation.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:06:23 AM

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

GB means "group buy" ~ im in a group buy ~ i am NOT that kind of person bro! but thank you for your help!

15 “You shall not steal.

Wow, thanks for that, I now believe in god. Thanks for showing me the truth.  I knew the Flying Spaghetti Monster was real after all..

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:34:13 PM

Assuming it's theft rather than a "misleading scam," there are a good few companies which will give you information, too, if you provide them details, and especially if you're a customer wanting information on people accessing your account. For example - maybe you want as much information as possible on someone who accessed your email account without authorization. A good few companies will provide this without a LEO demand backing it up (which you pretty much need for online crimes, where the police are about as useful as a dirty sock unless the loss is for $millions), though I found Gmail is a painful exception (they may be reversing this policy some time in the future, though). Amazon EC2 was also largely uncooperative, though the provided me some registration details of the person who used the service to compromise my account. However, simply by asking, you may be rewarded with the information which leads to the big break in info you need. -but again, that assumes it's theft rather than a contract violation.

Thanks ~ Good info !  Cheesy

TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 06:54:44 PM

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

15 “You shall not steal.

That is strange.  It doesn't say "You shall not own slaves."
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 07:26:38 PM

All of this over lil' o' me, LittleD?  Cheesy

LOL, i see your checking up on me Smiley Yes and NO, i have a couple of GBs that im doing, you can say that I am "LOOKING out for MY Investments". Its the smart thing to do. You’ve been very helpful and on point with all your updates and i don’t think i would have invested with you 3 more BTC BTC , Plus what I already have giving you (Total of 7.5 BTC BTC i believe)Smiley, if i didn’t TRUST YOU!. But you never KNOW? Right!? but to answer ur question? Yes, All this over lil' o' U".
I Hope you don’t take any offense to it :0) ?

Shocked I wonder which of these fine fellows told you i made this post Huh  Grin  Wink Grin
lol

LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 07:34:58 PM

Thank you all for your helpful reply’s  Grin

bnjmnkent

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:45:29 PM

N1
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 05:18:16 AM

Thanks

It depends how honest the person initially is.

I user like me, you could find my real name in about 2 seconds. my phone number in about 10, and my physical address in about 30 seconds

The harder it is to figure out a person's real identity, the more likely it is that you're getting scammed IMO

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
BitTrade

Activity: 173

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 05:40:14 AM

It's rather easy.  You just view their post history and see if they tried to start any billion-dollar illegal ventures using their personal e-mail address.  

too soon?
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:59:37 AM

It's rather easy.  You just view their post history and see if they tried to start any billion-dollar illegal ventures using their personal e-mail address.  

too soon?

It was a pretty stupid thing for DPR to do. I lol'd when I read that

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:01:08 PM

If you can find his email using his username you can find his identity in no time!
If you can't find anything  the last chance is to ask the ip to the admin!
bnjmnkent

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:45:28 PM

N1

Perfecto  Cool
Yes, it is not even needed to attach a real image. A white pixel on a white background comes to mind.
You can disable this technique in some browsers, iirc, if you care.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 09:19:51 PM

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

15 “You shall not steal.

Thats because this is the angry "lets enslave, terrorize and bomb the third world", god(s).

The peaceful loving god(s) has been MIA for over 2000 years. Wink

bnjmnkent

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:34:06 PM

Yes, it is just a tool. If the IP jumps over continents, you know it is not valid. If it is always of the same
provider...

People shouldn't just do stupid things.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:21:50 AM

Being able to trace someone would also benefit those of us who would like to know who is behind, what seems to be, an epidemic of sock puppet accounts. Wink

LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 06:55:55 PM

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

15 “You shall not steal.

Thats because this is the angry "lets enslave, terrorize and bomb the third world", god(s).

Hmmmm Smiley i dont think so but hey!... everyone has a right to their opinion :0) Thanks for all you info... we need to help each other and not destroy each other Smiley

gwedo

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 07:25:25 PM

it is not hard to track someone
in fact there is no anonymity, I beleive it is only matter of effort which is made to trace someone.
unfortunately from my experience eg user toork who made fraudulent LTC wallet (who stole my money what still hurts) could express himself freely on this forum but on the contrary I posted 3 similar (not same!) posts during last hour and gues what?? last two posts were very quickly deleted.... I would suggest that we should have something like forexpeacearmy, some web who inform about bad guys who commit frauds with cryptocoins so that we all benefit from it

Hello world
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 08:26:18 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 10:59:27 PM by Hippie Tech

Thanks Grin

GB??

anyway...

15 “You shall not steal.

Hmmmm Smiley i dont think so but hey!... everyone has a right to their opinion :0) Thanks for all you info... we need to help each other and not destroy each other Smiley

Ty for keeping an open mind. Grin

@gwedo Have you seen the Reputation and Scam Accusation sections ?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=8.0

Kouye

Activity: 336

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 08:31:59 PM

@gweedo Have you seen the Reputation and Scam Accusation sections ?

Please don't mispell his nick. It is most likely this guy will take advantage of gweedo's rep to get a loan in a near future.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 10:05:28 PM

I thought that SMF neutralized IP tracking via images?

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
joeyjoe

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:36:42 PM

Thanks

It will be likely that the admin have access to the IP address which the person log on to this forum. But if this person is a scammer, they most likely will be using Tor, so it will not be their real IP address.

Doesn't have to be tor. Could be a public wifi connection, could be on a proxy, could be using a VPN etc.

Bitcoin PHP programmer for hire! (HTML / CSS / JQuery / AJAX / .NET).
joeyjoe

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 10:37:32 PM

I thought that SMF neutralized IP tracking via images?

Nope, your browser loads that image from the remote site, which can log the downloads.

Bitcoin PHP programmer for hire! (HTML / CSS / JQuery / AJAX / .NET).
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2013, 11:00:30 PM

@gwedo Have you seen the Reputation and Scam Accusation sections ?

Please don't mispell his nick. It is most likely this guy will take advantage of gweedo's rep to get a loan in a near future.

Ooops !

Fixed. Grin

sushi

Activity: 238

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 11:04:52 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2013, 11:17:17 PM by sushi

Depends on many factors.

1. Is the scamemer in the same country/state/providence as you?

2. Did the scammer make thing into more of the civil/common law situation rather than the applicable criminal code (It could be a crime  in Canada but may be a civil matter in Italy.

3. Are you willing to trace the scammer via legal (law abiding way) or with some use of the gray-zone tactics.  

4. How much resources are you willing to put into the scammer hunt?  (It may be possible to find the scammers to justice but the cost it may associated could be prohibitable for the average person)

5. Did the person use any black-hat technology while scamming you.  (may not be impossible but differently make things harder)

6. Are you willing to risk your reputation by possibly be in trouble with the local law.

7. Tor, Public Wifi, highjacked unsecured home wifi, restaurant wifi whatever the access is from, more than likely there might be some small mistakes made by the scammers.  We as average citizen can't access the recorded security camera footage from the local MacDonald even we traced the scammers to.  Paying off the store managers or local Lost Prevention guys to give up the store security footage can be very expensive.  Specially paying off the government officials or technicians who maintains Automated Vehicle License Plate Readers if the scammers were seen hopping into the vehicle.  Traffic Cams, train station cameras, general user's smartphone videos.  So many way to find the scammers but the resources it may take can stand in between

paying off your local wireless telephone customer service reps or legal compliance department reps to get the subscriber info for us average citizen is not so easy or cheap.  When it comes to the ISP subscribers info the same way.  

May be we can trace the scammers to the local cat-house wifi or the hotel's business center computers.  Kids can lift the latent prints and collect DNA evidence from the crime scene, however, we don't have access to the database to compare the latent or any of these CSI evidence against, not alone local driver's license or vehicle registration info or even the utility service account holder's info to track them down to.

If the scammers are dumb enough to meet you in person again, then you can bag him/her but we just never know

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
LittleD (OP)

StayFocus and LIVE

View Profile
November 09, 2013, 06:44:32 AM

Depends on many factors.

1. Is the scamemer in the same country/state/providence as you?

2. Did the scammer make thing into more of the civil/common law situation rather than the applicable criminal code (It could be a crime  in Canada but may be a civil matter in Italy.

3. Are you willing to trace the scammer via legal (law abiding way) or with some use of the gray-zone tactics.  

4. How much resources are you willing to put into the scammer hunt?  (It may be possible to find the scammers to justice but the cost it may associated could be prohibitable for the average person)

5. Did the person use any black-hat technology while scamming you.  (may not be impossible but differently make things harder)

6. Are you willing to risk your reputation by possibly be in trouble with the local law.

7. Tor, Public Wifi, highjacked unsecured home wifi, restaurant wifi whatever the access is from, more than likely there might be some small mistakes made by the scammers.  We as average citizen can't access the recorded security camera footage from the local MacDonald even we traced the scammers to.  Paying off the store managers or local Lost Prevention guys to give up the store security footage can be very expensive.  Specially paying off the government officials or technicians who maintains Automated Vehicle License Plate Readers if the scammers were seen hopping into the vehicle.  Traffic Cams, train station cameras, general user's smartphone videos.  So many way to find the scammers but the resources it may take can stand in between

paying off your local wireless telephone customer service reps or legal compliance department reps to get the subscriber info for us average citizen is not so easy or cheap.  When it comes to the ISP subscribers info the same way.  

May be we can trace the scammers to the local cat-house wifi or the hotel's business center computers.  Kids can lift the latent prints and collect DNA evidence from the crime scene, however, we don't have access to the database to compare the latent or any of these CSI evidence against, not alone local driver's license or vehicle registration info or even the utility service account holder's info to track them down to.

If the scammers are dumb enough to meet you in person again, then you can bag him/her but we just never know

Thanks good info ~

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: