Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So my bank just called..  (Read 996 times)
Jamievs (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:25:29 PM

I had no clue where to post is, but wanted to share this nonetheless because I think it was very odd.

I'm fairly new in this (cool) bitcoin world and I'm about to buy some more hardware. So I google'd where I could buy some BTC with Ideal, found a trustworty website and entered my order. So far, so good. When I wanted to finish the order, the ideal transaction got blocked by the bank! There was a phone number I could call and so I did.

I called the number and spoke a call center agent, who, as he told me, got a pop up message in his screen that he has to forward my call to the anti-fraud desk. The next employer I get to speak is that apparently BTC is used for fraud a lot (lol!) and hence my transaction was blocked. After laughing and dying a little, both at the same time, I kindly asked here to unlock my Ideal transactions again so I could finish the trade and I did.

So.. Even banks are scared people convert fiat into BTC now?  Cool

Sorry for the bad English, I'm from the Netherlands  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:38:09 PM

Where did you bought the bitcoins?

Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:41:38 PM

The transfer went fine after it got unlocked. I don't wanna call names and cause a potential bad reputation!
Puppet
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:44:49 PM

Your bank is indeed doing you a service. Buying bitcoins through ebanking is the 'prefect crime' for a hacker to make a profit from PCs under his control. Untraceable, irreversible.  In all likelyhood the vast majority of such purchases or attempts to purchase are fraudulent, and your bank is acting in the best interest of its customers by not allowing such transactions to go through without checking.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 01:58:37 PM

The transfer went fine after it got unlocked. I don't wanna call names and cause a potential bad reputation!

There have been quite a few reports like your's, Bitstamp got flagged in some countries.

Have you bought a considerable quantity?

Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:02:20 PM

There have been quite a few reports like your's, Bitstamp got flagged in some countries.

Have you bought a considerable quantity?

It was not bitstamp and was 2.5 BTC..
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:27:44 PM

Out of curiosity, which bank do you use?
Jamievs (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 02:40:50 PM

Out of curiosity, which bank do you use?

ING
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
October 15, 2013, 05:20:55 PM

I had no clue where to post is, but wanted to share this nonetheless because I think it was very odd.

I'm fairly new in this (cool) bitcoin world and I'm about to buy some more hardware. So I google'd where I could buy some BTC with Ideal, found a trustworty website and entered my order. So far, so good. When I wanted to finish the order, the ideal transaction got blocked by the bank! There was a phone number I could call and so I did.

I called the number and spoke a call center agent, who, as he told me, got a pop up message in his screen that he has to forward my call to the anti-fraud desk. The next employer I get to speak is that apparently BTC is used for fraud a lot (lol!) and hence my transaction was blocked. After laughing and dying a little, both at the same time, I kindly asked here to unlock my Ideal transactions again so I could finish the trade and I did.

So.. Even banks are scared people convert fiat into BTC now?  Cool

Sorry for the bad English, I'm from the Netherlands  Smiley
In general, there is nothing to be alarmed about when a bank or credit card company asks you for verification of a transaction.  That's their systems working RIGHT.

It's when they simply refuse to deal with XYZ or refuse to deal with Bitcoin that there is a problem.

By comparison, a major currency trade operation like XE.com does have some currencies they refuse to deal with.  They have very, very good reasons for doing that.

Banks do not have similarly good reasons to reject customers who trade bitcoins.
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 12:43:47 AM

Apparently US dollars are used for fraud a lot.   And money laundering.   And they are counterfeited too.  Particularly by the US Fed.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 01:11:30 AM

This is why I use a credit union Tongue

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:22:14 AM

I guess we're at the "then they fight you" stage. Putting a few "Bitcoin accepted here" stickers on the front doors of central banks could be amusing Smiley

I would sooo throw a few bitcents towards seeing this happen.  Grin

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 06:06:43 AM

I guess we're at the "then they fight you" stage. Putting a few "Bitcoin accepted here" stickers on the front doors of central banks could be amusing Smiley

I would sooo throw a few bitcents towards seeing this happen.  Grin

That is so tempting because I've been looking to pull off a prank like this lol Cheesy
erikspoon

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:20:56 AM

i can tell you that some of the banks in Israel doesn't allow wire transfers to any of the known exchanges ...
AU

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 02:25:57 PM

i can tell you that some of the banks in Israel doesn't allow wire transfers to any of the known exchanges ...

which ones?

Razer Blade 14" for sale
BTC: 1E1QQDq8keR9uVykmxSzo7CUYrWtQ6J9M8
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: