Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:16:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Can a team control the price of their own coin for growth??  (Read 332 times)
psicopompoi (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:22:47 AM

Hey guys, just joined the forum and going through the announcements I found this OptiToken project. The team and white paper seem legit, and I like the idea of owning part of a portfolio that trades automatically, as I have tried trading but I'm a noob and suck at it.

The thing I'm not sure about is they plan on making it a hyperdeflationary currency in a way I haven't seen before. With the portfolio trading, they will use profits to buy their own tokens on the market to create "buy pressure" and then destroy the tokens they buy to create scarcity. They say this will create price growth (even in bear markets) and value for holders long term, and meanwhile the underlying grows... As I see it they are basically controlling the price of their own currency to make it grow... Does this make sense? Is it doable? I like the idea of owning a token that can see this kind of growth but I'm not sure if it can work...

ANN is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2975245.0

PS: Tell me if this isn't the place to post this and I'll move it!

Theoretically, a team could control the price of their coin through supply and demand.

Say a coin comes out at $5

Then, the team let's something leak that is bad news

Price drops down to $0.25

The team could then buy back their coin and create a more limited supply

Then the price would go up

Very easy in theory, but difficult to pull off in real life since the market is more than a two-point system...

Cool Cool Cool

The supply - demand control is what they are proposing, but not through news manipulation. They don't want to make their currency drop in price, only make it appreciate. So they use profits from the trading portfolio or fund and buy on the main exchange, making price go up. Then they destroy the tokens. So it's not so hard as manipulating with bad news. The thing is if they can keep up the trading profits... for now they have (if their live portfolio doesn't lie) but I'll watch to see how it goes!

I found an image that explains it but it seems my account is too new. It's in this link:

https://medium.com/@OptiToken/unique-value-proposition-strategic-buy-pressure-and-strategic-scarcity-9da9f645e971

well Coinmetro exchange which is an upcoming exchange planned doing same thing with their exchange, they will buy their tokens back when the price is going down and put it back to sale when their scarcity. The deal is cool to me but I don't know how they will implement it, until it is test and prove working, i am not investing.

Well this is what Optitoken is proposing I think. The thing is they will be making price rise by buying from the profit generated by the portfolio trading, which is the underlying value. Yeah, I'm still doubting. I'm on the telegram channel now to see how they are handling stuff.

Yes, they definitely can. The best way is if the economics and math behind the token is designed in a way that it stimulates natural growth with time. Provided that adoption and demand of the token increase.

The team can also manipulate the price by bying or selling its own tokens on exchanges. For example, Canya recently announced they will buyback a portion of their tokens.

Legit projects should care about price movement and early investors and guarantee a min low of the price on the exchanges.

Thanks for the other example, I'll check to see how it's going for them... I agree with that last part. I already bought an ICO that just tanked on exchange... this seems to solve it by creating stable prices through a sort of distribution of value from portfolio to holders. Still have to trust them though.

It will depend on how many bitcoins the team have saved up for the purpose of buybacks and also how large the daily trading volume is.  If the volume is low then yes, it is very possible to keep the project from drowning but if the trading volume is very high, it will take much more funds to keep it above waters and that's not even a guarantee. 

Well in this case the buybacks will come from trading profits of the portfolio, so they should be regular and in theory also work in bear markets like this one, as the live portfolio shows profits... which for me is the most attractive cause I can't trade (bull or bear lol) and the coin will hold when others are down...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
99th

Activity: 196
Merit: 22

Las Vegas

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:38:55 AM

Hey guys, just joined the forum and going through the announcements I found this OptiToken project. The team and white paper seem legit, and I like the idea of owning part of a portfolio that trades automatically, as I have tried trading but I'm a noob and suck at it.

The thing I'm not sure about is they plan on making it a hyperdeflationary currency in a way I haven't seen before. With the portfolio trading, they will use profits to buy their own tokens on the market to create "buy pressure" and then destroy the tokens they buy to create scarcity. They say this will create price growth (even in bear markets) and value for holders long term, and meanwhile the underlying grows... As I see it they are basically controlling the price of their own currency to make it grow... Does this make sense? Is it doable? I like the idea of owning a token that can see this kind of growth but I'm not sure if it can work...

ANN is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2975245.0

PS: Tell me if this isn't the place to post this and I'll move it!

Many projects/teams have a buyback system in place to buy their tokens from the exchanges if the price gets too low. I have seen a few massive projects that just wrapped up their ICOs discussing their plans to possibly do this as well. Check this thread for a little info about the buyback programs after ICO https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2025917.0
OptimalSeanimal

Activity: 23

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:06:00 AM

well Coinmetro exchange which is an upcoming exchange planned doing same thing with their exchange, they will buy their tokens back when the price is going down and put it back to sale when their scarcity. The deal is cool to me but I don't know how they will implement it, until it is test and prove working, i am not investing.

Yeah but putting it back to sale just adds sell pressure again eventually down the road thus ruining the value added from the buying to begin with
CryptoClown

Activity: 261
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 03:58:50 AM

Everything is possible in my opinion. They can create their own hype to pump the prices of their own coin so that everyone takes an interest and invest too because let's be honest that not all do their own research regarding the project and just invests without knowing about the background. After the pump there will be eventually a dump so its not really a good technique to apply on a certain project. Might as well think of a good marketing plan to keep the coin's price stable.
psicopompoi (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:24:47 PM

Everything is possible in my opinion. They can create their own hype to pump the prices of their own coin so that everyone takes an interest and invest too because let's be honest that not all do their own research regarding the project and just invests without knowing about the background. After the pump there will be eventually a dump so its not really a good technique to apply on a certain project. Might as well think of a good marketing plan to keep the coin's price stable.

Well, if done correctly the dump shouldn't be too hard. They could even save some to create sell walls or something (I just asked on the dev) Plus the fact that destroying the bought tokens could make holders hold more? Not sure on that one. Would def like to see this project make the market so we can see how it works haha Cheesy

Just one last thing: can anyone with a solid grasp of economics explain if there is a limit for this buying back and destroying tokens? How would it work long term? Would people not want to sell? It's a bit mind boggling for me.
kevindjunaidi

Activity: 826
Merit: 104

👉bit.ly/3QXp3oh | 🔥 Ultimate Launc

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:31:13 PM

I think that can not happen, the team can only help by promoting their coin and working with a good exchange to make their coin increase in price, but to determine the price of the coin is only buyer and coin holder (investor), because the buyer will set the price buy them and if the coin holders sell them at the coin's price that the buyer wants, it is from that matter that determines whether the coin price increases or decreases (if many want to buy the coin most likely to increase the price will be enormous).

Jobbernowl

Activity: 222
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

I guess its rather common practice today after huge success of Binance tokens with similar model - use part of profit to buyback your tokens. Many other projects started to do the same.

chukaday

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

⚡ Property-secured P2P lending ⚡

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:05:55 PM

While a team can do this, they certainly shouldn't for a myriad of reasons. One being it is unethical and if anybody catches them, the project will lose a lot of confidence. Two and just as important is if you have a good project you shouldn't need to worry about manipulating the price. Only weaker coins or tokens that are about that P n D life will manipulate (at least this how I view it).

psicopompoi (OP)

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 06:22:55 PM

While a team can do this, they certainly shouldn't for a myriad of reasons. One being it is unethical and if anybody catches them, the project will lose a lot of confidence. Two and just as important is if you have a good project you shouldn't need to worry about manipulating the price. Only weaker coins or tokens that are about that P n D life will manipulate (at least this how I view it).

I understand your point, but this isn't a PnD, its part of the value of the coin. As the underlying portfolio trades and makes profits they will be distributed to holders, with the extra twist of the token burns. So it can create semi stable value but also a possibility for interesting gains.
psicopompoi (OP)

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:32:26 PM

So after watching for some weeks and getting familiarized with the CEO (he is a very down to earth guy, very responsive, check Telegram) I decided to invest! Things are gaining traction too: http://bitcoinist.com/3-icos-huge-potential-2018/
Ushono

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:34:41 PM

To do this, you need to maintain the demand for your token on the market, but it needs a large amount of tokens and this is a risky game.
alex_kir

Activity: 490
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 05:36:45 PM

I think that this is very likely, because now a lot of similar situations happen with many projects, probably this is really true, because it seems to me that now, if you have a normal project that works very well you can do anything.
Julunguul

Activity: 473
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2018, 06:00:08 PM

control their own coin prices, maybe not. but to manipulate the price is possible, more or less it is only temporary which means they do to attract the attention of investors. but it can be a double-edged sword. can you imagine if they do that thing, but no investors who go in or buy their coins
cryptosifu

Activity: 378
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:08:33 PM

If the team's cryptocurrency is listed on a small trading volume exchange like cryptopia or similar ones, sure they can control their prices.  The team wouldn't need that many bitcoins to manipulate prices. 
Fahim

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 14, 2018, 06:27:04 PM

Oh, they say beautifully that they will buy out their tokens and then burn them. However, there are many pitfalls.
1. If the company doesn't make a profit. They will not have the means to buy their tokens.
2. They leave a very large percentage of tokens from developers. This makes it possible to manipulate the price, as we have seen many times with other projects.
3. The market of cryptocurrency is not submitting to any laws. They can burn 5% of their tokens, but the price will still go down.
Balorck

Activity: 105

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 07:22:05 AM

I'm certainly not a Pro but I know that any coin can artificially inflate without any problems . they create an artificial demand for the coin and all its value begins to grow .  documents by the way is not a problem now so doing that is not prikopat
Rustamm

Activity: 532
Merit: 18

Bitcoin lover!

View Profile
May 19, 2018, 07:44:23 AM

Yes, the ICO team has the ability to control the price of its released token. They can throw to the market the tokens they have at their disposal and thereby lower their costs, as well as periodically burn some of their tokens, thereby reducing the offer for sale and therefore the price of tokens will increase.
hotBriX001

Activity: 224
Merit: 6

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 02:18:00 PM

To do this, you need to maintain the demand for your token on the market, but it needs a large amount of tokens and this is a risky game.

This could be in real scenario. We can really play what we really want if we are having enough tokens to support in our manipulation for possible growth. But to make this possible we will considered first investors well to eagerly invest the tokens that we are promoting and developing to certainty get increased.

▬▬ ● ● Destream Fine Ecosystem for STREAMERS ● ● ▬▬
▬▬ ● ● STREAMER'S FINANCIAL ECOSYSTEM ● ● ▬▬
Reez

Activity: 381
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 10:32:13 AM

They surely can if they tried to but at the end of the day, the price of the coin going up still depends on the demand from investors and without that there is no way that a project will do well. At the beginning it is the team that places a price on their coin but as time goes on, it is the demand from people that will determine what the price and the value of the coin will be for the long run.
Bagani

Activity: 375
Merit: 18

send & receive money instantly,w/out hidden costs

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 10:36:15 AM

Thats possible to control the price of a coin. If the team is reach and have enough power to maintain and pump their own currency. If a numbers of dumpers in the market so they do a numbers of buy. They not allow the price go deeply because of weak hands. Then make a hype news such listing on a top exchange.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: