Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:38:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Small rant about people quoting entire OP  (Read 218 times)
eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 12:28:09 PM
Merited by Vod (5), mprep (1)

Especially when there's a big picture in it, people just don't seem to care that they're quoting a massive OP when they reply.
It's one of the most annoying things if you have to scroll down a couple of minutes just to reach the bottom of the page.

This thread prompted me to make this post:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3089825.0 (Homeless use Bitcoin)

People are just quoting that picture without caring that it ruins the whole thread. I thought it was just common courtesy on a forum not to do stuff like this, but apparently not.
Just remove the picture if you want to quote the OP like that.

Usually it's not even needed the quote the OP, and if you have to, just pick the part you're answering.

If I strain my finger due to excessive scrolling, you're paying for my medical bills! (j/k)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitperson

Activity: 210
Merit: 119

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 12:41:20 PM

I think the opportunity to post inline images on a forum such as this one does more harm than good, much like the option to specify the font size and colour. Disallowing those would significantly reduce the problem you describe. One can always refer to images, videos etc. by linking to them.

How to ask questions the smart way
When you’re happy with the answers in a thread you have started, please click ‘lock topic’ to prevent spam.
1AWrZWnN4ThpGB5z24WTzsoZRMqvLpDGYU
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 12:45:30 PM

I agree with you, and it's even more annoying when you have put the OP on ignore for posting pictures without good reason. The best solution is to put the posters on ignore as well - they probably haven't got anything useful to say anyone.

Members will start to get the message soon I expect. The more people who put you on ignore, the fewer chances you have for gaining merits, and I expect the sig promoters will realise that if a member is on ignore, then his sig isn't displayed either.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
fxstrike

Activity: 238
Merit: 40

First Payment Gateway using GoldBacked cryptocurre

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 01:19:22 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 01:55:03 PM by fxstrike

I think the opportunity to post inline images on a forum such as this one does more harm than good, much like the option to specify the font size and colour. Disallowing those would significantly reduce the problem you describe. One can always refer to images, videos etc. by linking to them.
Not all people like to click here and there redirecting their attention everywhere and then forgetting everything, some people like everything laid down in one piece on one page, some prominent forumer here use this variation of font size and colour to emphasize and organized certain thing in their posting so disallowing probably is not acceptable, you can always download lynx browser and browse this forum in text only if you have strong dislike of all the flashy stuff and different size of font.

its probably bad in your view, but on the other hand some of the information like price movement cannot be describe with words in plain text only, you need chart in graphic form with variation of colour and font size to present it properly.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 01:22:54 PM
Last edit: March 09, 2018, 02:21:57 PM by tbct_mt2

In fact, I created my topic before yours. What a coincidence!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092072.msg31917586#msg31917586
I will update my topic, but I would like to move it to Beginners & help board. How to do this? Do I have to create a new one?
fxstrike

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 01:48:31 PM

In fact, I created my topic before yours. What a coincidence!
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092072.msg31917586#msg31917586
I will update my topic, bit I would like to move it to Beginners & help board. How to do this? Do I have to create a new one?

Don't create new one that is against the forum rules

There is 2 ways to move it.

1. From your thread, scroll to the bottom you will see move topic click on it and proceed

2. From thread listing you will see arrow like in the red box in the image below, click on it and proceed from there

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 02:12:34 PM

~
Thanks for your help. I have moved my topic to Beginners & help board at
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092072.0
Hope this one will help newbies/ newcomers of the bitcointalk forum as its original objectives.
fxstrike

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 02:27:35 PM

~
Thanks for your help. I have moved my topic to Beginners & help board at
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3092072.0
Hope this one will help newbies/ newcomers of the bitcointalk forum as its original objectives.

No problem, you are very much welcome, feels nice to have share something useful here

Blue Tyrant
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 65

IOS - The secure, scalable blockchain

View Profile
March 09, 2018, 02:55:06 PM

Usually it's not even needed the quote the OP, and if you have to, just pick the part you're answering.

This is the part that grinds my gears. People for whatever reason seem to LOVE tagging entire paragraphs and paragraphs of a reply just to respond to some one random point made in one of the paragraphs. The person reading it has to read the entire paragraph and then connect the dots on what exactly the context is and what the quoter is replying to

Pro Tip: To people who don't know to quote, just quote like this reply. Just cut out the part that is required and not the wall of text every single time you want to make a point

eternalgloom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2018, 03:05:25 PM

Thanks for all the positive responses, I knew that stuff like this annoys a lot of people here.
Removing the option to embed images isn't a good solution though, I like it when the OP has an image displayed that's useful for the reader.

I'm just going to start calling people out more in specific threads, I've been doing that on special occasions already.
Not just for this issue, but for idiotic replies as well.

Example:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2763027.msg31917165#msg31917165 (That entire thread is a complete shitshow)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: