Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:22:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin timeline quantization  (Read 2966 times)
Come-from-Beyond (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:23:20 AM

Right now the most part of ASICs is crunching numbers non-stop trying to mine a block. Graphically this would like a solid line. But let's take a look at the future, when the block subsidy is very small and miners earn money by charging fees. Imagine there are only few transactions awaiting confirmation and their fee is not high enough to waste electricity for mining. In this situation most of ASICs will be switched to a sleeping mode, and the timeline will have a gap. While ASICs are sleeping Bitcoin is "losing" the difficulty, the cost of 51% attack is becoming lower. At some point someone may decide to attempt the attack instead of switching their ASICs off. If they fail they can try again next time if a reward is worth it...

Is it a possible scenario?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tutkarz

Activity: 546
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:34:02 AM

i don't think so its possible because asics are losing value like any other hardware and they have to work non stop because the longer they wait the less they will earn.

Philj

Activity: 388
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:25:23 AM

I see what you are getting at. No point in mining when there is 0 reward, wait for transactions then start to mine. If a block is found just seconds after the last block, then there may not be any/enough transactions to actually have a reward in it.

I don't think this will happen. Either bitcoin will no longer exist in any real use by the time the block reward goes to 0, or it will be so widespread that there will be plenty of transactions generated every second, enough to reward miners. I'm hoping for the later of those options
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: