Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:32:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SANDSTORM: - A Collective Investment Vehicle for BTC. -  (Read 35716 times)
jeffshed

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 07:01:53 AM

you guys are idiots.

He didn't scam anyone. The most he could have run away with was 100BTC. He refunded nearly that amount after like 4 months.

If he wanted to scam, why didn't he run away after the IPO?

Why do you want regulatory pressure on BTC?

Don't you run a fund of some kind bithub? how was sandstorm different? Aren't all of these securities/funds illegal by your definition?

Perhaps I overestimated the intelligence of the BTC community, or at least some people on this forum.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
felente

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 08, 2013, 02:20:38 PM

...Why do you want regulatory pressure on BTC?

you have answered this question right in the same post, in the first line Smiley

yes, he did not scam. indeed i do not like the art he closed the whole thing and disappeared without further communication to the community. i understand that Josh was frustrated with such outcome but that's a life. negative things happens sometimes. just running away and hiding should be not an option for serious people.

if someone is willing to win then he/she must be able to lose too. this should be understandable and acceptable by everyone - any parties involved here - but unfortunately that's not the case. AND this is normal btw. not everyone has brain and eggs (together), not meaning Josh here... Wink
xaviarlol

Activity: 153
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 10:08:57 AM

There is certainly a large number of morons posting at the moment. While Jmutch was the last person who should be investing other people's money, people who lost money in his fund lost it because they made a terrible decision to buy in to jmutch's sh*tty fund, even after I gave several warnings before the IPO. He didn't scam you, you scammed yourself for not doing your due diligence.

In short, calling ASIC over this makes you an imbecile who should keep their money in the bank and never ever try to "invest" in anything. Don't be a sore loser, you made a bad choice and you lost. Take the loss and get over it.
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 04:39:41 PM

There's a lot of defensive types lashing out with words like "idiots" and "morons", spruiking their lines like they're the only people entitled to a viewpoint.

Let's put things in perspective, in the regulated investment world when funds lose substantial amounts of investor monies there is often public outcry, certainly bad publicity, usually accusations of incompetence or malfeasance, sometimes lawsuits and occasionally criminal or civil penalties. I don't care if anyone likes it or not, but I'll advocate the view that existing regulation over fiat investments needs to extend across crypto-currency investments. I don't like thieves, scammers, swindlers, ponzi promoters, lairs, blowhards and one-eyed verbosity merchants. Regulation isn't a magic wand to fix all ills, but it puts a framework in place that elevates transparency and accountability and that helps both the fund operators and the fund investors.

While it's interesting that the majority of people putting the boot into the OP from the earliest pages of this thread appear to be competitors or others who jumped on the troll train, those commenting over the last few pages are those that lost money. In case you've skimmed my previous remarks, I exited this fund rapidly after it started dropping, I'd do the same for stocks, futures or currency while trading and with increases elsewhere in the bitcoin 'investment' environment I had a net gain on my overall position, so I don't have any particular axe to grind, I certainly didn't report anyone to the regulator but I did comment on the fact that allegedly others did report and I made subsequent contextual comments about the lack of bitcoin regulation in Australia.

There's a dichotomy between those that are happy for bitcoin to live in the shadows with the criminal element pervading and those who'd prefer to see bitcoin become more mainstream. The currency cannot live on the horns of a dilemma between prohibition and regulation forever. Maybe we can call it 'growing pains' but it doesn't take a genius to work out that with the all-pervasive narrative that's driving tax treaties globally, the regulatory environment isn't going to be opaque forever, so whether you're an investor or a promoter, it doesn't matter whether you like it or not, but the law is coming, sure as John Wayne rode round the hill, rifle in hand, sheriff badge pinned to his chest, FATCA Act in his saddlebag.

I'm sure many operators will make an easy transition to a more regulated environment and the better ones will find increasing support from investors who recognise those fund manager's duty of care over their investments and their ability to translate this into positive investment returns. There's other players who already aren't finding the march of regulation to their liking and for one reason or another, they've lost the faith of investors, been forced to close their doors or absconded before the law closes in.

So all-in-all, with investment losses and regulatory pressure on business practices, it's not surprising that some people are getting hot under the collar.

Smiley

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 05:27:56 PM

I'm of the view that people are responsible for their own investments the mantra of the forum is to watch out for scams etc. While sandstorm was not a scam people buying shares always need to remember that their is a risk here, that said I do agree the closure procedure was not followed in gross violation of the contract.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  

Jump to: