Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:10:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just purchased 18 block erupters Buyers remorse...  (Read 10022 times)
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 03:13:25 PM

TX fees are going up, even if block rewards may go down.

Once large datacenter ASIC mining becomes unprofitable, they will be shut down.  When this happens, your hashing share will go up again.  Whether you want to wait for this to happen or not is up to you.  You can look at my f/s thread for how you should setup the miners.  It's all about proper power delivery, which most USB hubs don't have.  NO NEED for expensive hubs.  A regulated power supply and a cheap hub will work fine, AND give you scalability in the future.

Anyways, I digress...

What you COULD do is to use the miners as a hobby, taking the proceeds to use for various purposes like... oh... high risk gambling, and hope that you hit the 100x multiplier or something of that sort.

Do you have Unicorns where you live? If not, I bet you think you do, as you are clearly delusional.

Just like the OP clueless. Hardware manufactures should have IQ test before you can purchase...wait that would go against their business model.....they thrive on the clueless. I really should get into the Bridge selling business. ..ahh but thats right, I wouldn't be able to handle all the,  "...what you mean i have to maintain it?" questions. Bitcoin mining is really validating the saying "There's a sucker born every minute"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AndrewWilliams

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Fourth richest fictional character

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 04:33:39 PM

TX fees are going up, even if block rewards may go down.

Once large datacenter ASIC mining becomes unprofitable, they will be shut down.  When this happens, your hashing share will go up again.  Whether you want to wait for this to happen or not is up to you.  You can look at my f/s thread for how you should setup the miners.  It's all about proper power delivery, which most USB hubs don't have.  NO NEED for expensive hubs.  A regulated power supply and a cheap hub will work fine, AND give you scalability in the future.

Anyways, I digress...

What you COULD do is to use the miners as a hobby, taking the proceeds to use for various purposes like... oh... high risk gambling, and hope that you hit the 100x multiplier or something of that sort.

Do you have Unicorns where you live? If not, I bet you think you do, as you are clearly delusional.

Just like the OP clueless. Hardware manufactures should have IQ test before you can purchase...wait that would go against their business model.....they thrive on the clueless. I really should get into the Bridge selling business. ..ahh but thats right, I wouldn't be able to handle all the,  "...what you mean i have to maintain it?" questions. Bitcoin mining is really validating the saying "There's a sucker born every minute"

They're just selling the dream man, just like every other salesperson. They're not selling ASICs, they are selling the dream of the Rich Bitcoin Miner!
neutralist

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 05:13:29 PM

Make sure you have the receipts or records if you bought them with USD.

If you resell them later at a loss, you can write off that amount on your income tax as "capital loss". (Much like a stock transaction) This includes the USB block eruptors and ALL related accessories (the Anker hubs and the fan, for example). These are all considered "Capital assets".

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Ten-Important-Facts-About-Capital-Gains-and-Losses
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:00:31 PM

These were profitable for those that got early .15 coupon pricing through previous group buys.

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:10:20 PM

I mined a fifth of a Bitcoin now with these things which I bought for USD on eBay (the bulk with my original BE which I bought in June). Maybe this will be worth enough some day. But it will be a nice experience so I don't care. Smiley
EccLipSe

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:34:53 PM

not bad price. you can get back your money i believe. start mining asap.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 12:46:39 PM

They are still 18 USD on ebay...
neutralist

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:50:31 AM

They are going as low as $9 on Amazon....

So, as I said, if you sell your miners this year, you can write off your loss as capital loss on your taxes.
johncarpe64

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:01:18 AM

So, as I said, if you sell your miners this year, you can write off your loss as capital loss on your taxes.

Is bitcoin even taxable in the first place?
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1101

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 02:15:33 PM

So i Just purchased 18 block erupters and After reading the threads here I am starting to feel a bit of Buyers remorse..
I bought them at $11.00 a piece so i don't think i did that bad....But at the current difficulty rate they are kinda worthless aren't they?

Quickly refund it and yes its worthless. But you can still sell it easily for 5-10 USD depending on your luck...
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:38:36 PM

It would be difficult to make an argument that bitcoin isn't capital. Capital gains are taxable.

No
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:08:56 PM

It would be difficult to make an argument that bitcoin isn't capital. Capital gains are taxable.

It seems that most people consider it a capital gain when/if you change it into fiat. In the US the Tax is Capital Gains - Expenses - Capital Losses. Since no one will make back their expenses it can be considered a Hobby.
neutralist

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 08:23:28 PM

It seems that most people consider it a capital gain when/if you change it into fiat. In the US the Tax is Capital Gains - Expenses - Capital Losses. Since no one will make back their expenses it can be considered a Hobby.

Notice that I am NOT talking about bitcoin being a form of capital. I am talking about the USB block eruptor themselves as a form of capital asset. A capital asset is any asset that is used to make money.  It is like holding a dividend-generating stock. The block eruptors are the stock, the dividend are the mined coins (Which is not taxable until you convert to fiat)
leannemckim46

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 03:21:14 AM

So i Just purchased 18 block erupters and After reading the threads here I am starting to feel a bit of Buyers remorse..
I bought them at $11.00 a piece so i don't think i did that bad....But at the current difficulty rate they are kinda worthless aren't they?

Sell it, unless you have free electricity....

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
RISE
MelodyRowell

Activity: 394

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:46:49 AM

Just mine for fun, or better still try solo for like a week.....
CrazyRabbi

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 08:52:02 AM

Or you could just whore yourself out of Bitcoins...

Wait...  Cheesy

sniffinpoprocks

Activity: 137

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 09:52:42 AM

At least you'll actually receive something! That's more that bitcoin-24, Terrahash, or Cloudhashing ever gave me.

“Since we decided a few weeks ago to adopt the leaf as legal tender, we have, of course, all become immensely rich.”
devthedev
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 04:47:36 PM

Yeah, it'd probably not be profitable to mine right now, but in the future you may. However, you are helping out with the processing of transactions Smiley

mo_mo

Activity: 194

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 10:50:36 PM

can be a souvenir
thew3apon

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 06, 2013, 02:01:18 AM

Use it to mine while putting up online looking for buyer is what most people do...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: