Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:31:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A rally is inevitable  (Read 5222 times)
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:02:27 PM

Well bitcoin itself isn't maxed out but the sentiment given the current state of bitcoin IS maxed out. This means that in order for bitcoin to move forward, some significant and corporeal development needs to occur, and this is certainly possible. However, the level of effort needed for bitcoin to drop is relatively minor. Some simple event can occur, such as... mtgox enables withdrawals. Actually, merely the sentiment needs to reverse, which can occur via something psychological.

Some keywords we haven't seen in a while: mtgox, withdrawal, bankruptcy, hacker, worm, legislation, fork, capitulation, winklevoss, scalability.

Sentiment only affect the price for a while, the fundamental support for the price comes from the long term demand. Official recognition of bitcoin as a reliable long term store of value (digital gold) could be a breakthrough. If pension fund are allowed to invest in bitcoin, then we are going to see a huge amount of capital inflow

Currently I only watch bitstamp exchange rate, it is very clear that any kind of large sale (like thousands of coins) will push the price down for a couple of percent, but then immediately be bought back and push the price even higher, this is exactly what happened during this spring in mtgox, some large player are testing the market weakness before they go ahead and drive a rally

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:04:18 PM

Yes, in order to protect the income of my ASICs, I will step into exchanges and purchase a lot of bitcoins Cheesy

I do actually believe you.

yes, a miner is more likely to buy coins and spend them.  And more likely to encourage others to do so.

Sunk costs.

This is the most insightful post on this thread.

I am gutted my ROI is going to be abysmal, but ever bitcent it makes when it finally gets here is a bitcent more than i have right now.

I expect to go through the same painful realisation for the monarch too. Yes I got fished in on that as well Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
johnyj (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 11:08:56 PM

This spring, it was the diminishing return of GPU mining sparked a large wave of rally, simply because there was no way to get enough coin in the foreseeable future at that time (unless you already had a pre-order of ASIC devices since last year)

It is a similar situation now: With 30% jump at each difficulty change, in a couple of months, many ASIC devices will only earn back the basic hosting cost, and this time there is no other more efficient miners in sight, means investing in mining rigs will only be profitable for those with free electricity

Currently exchange rate is still waiting for the difficulty to catch up, after the difficulty rise another 10 times (about 4 months), the only way to invest in bitcoin is to buy. But I think wise money won't wait until that time when everyone else also realized this

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: