Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:01:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading GH/s - Going Short?  (Read 1194 times)
wheeler (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 12:33:07 AM

Is there any established way to take a short position on mining return... Example: sell 100GH/s Nov13 @ <X> BTC / GH/s

I see you can get long on cex.io, but this isn't really a GH/s "futures" contract, rather physical delivery, which makes it hard to short (i.e. you need to mine to get the GH/s to sell).

Looks like OTC will be the only option, but perhaps someone knows better...?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 08:20:18 AM

Is there any established way to take a short position on mining return... Example: sell 100GH/s Nov13 @ <X> BTC / GH/s

I see you can get long on cex.io, but this isn't really a GH/s "futures" contract, rather physical delivery, which makes it hard to short (i.e. you need to mine to get the GH/s to sell).

Looks like OTC will be the only option, but perhaps someone knows better...?

The Deprived Mining Speculation (DMS) set of securities (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=228327.0) has a mechanism that allows shorting of mining-contracts. Currently it's not trading due to the BTCT shutdown, but latest word is that it is due to be relisted on a brand new exchange. Needless to say, shorting mining with this instrument has been very profitable since the launch back in june.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: