Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:06:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: No mining hardware is worth buying  (Read 15186 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:15:22 AM

5 - Hardware manufacturers and resellers have a problem right now.  They're invested in manufacturer/reselling ASICs and people are catching on to point #1 above.

ASIC prices can come down a LOT before hardware manufacturers are hurting.   <$2 per GH/s is pretty easy.  $1 per GH/s might be harder to do but I would expect raw chips (ASICs on the reel) to hit that sometime in 2014.  Of course vendor would rather sell a unit at $10 per GH than cutting prices to $5, or $3, or even $2 per GH/s isn't going to put anyone under.

That being said we likely will see one or more company go under.  These are small and often poorly run companies.  This is the gravy train portion with massive margins, lines of customers, or limited competition.  Pretty much impossible to not make money now.  When crunch time comes some won't make it.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 11:24:38 AM

5 - Hardware manufacturers and resellers have a problem right now.  They're invested in manufacturer/reselling ASICs and people are catching on to point #1 above.

ASIC prices can come down a LOT before hardware manufacturers are hurting.   <$2 per GH/s is pretty easy.  $1 per GH/s might be harder to do but I would expect raw chips (ASICs on the reel) to hit that sometime in 2014.  Of course vendor would rather sell a unit at $10 per GH than cutting prices to $5, or $3, or even $2 per GH/s isn't going to put anyone under.

That being said we likely will see one or more company go under.  These are small and often poorly run companies.  This is the gravy train portion with massive margins, lines of customers, or limited competition.  Pretty much impossible to not make money now.  When crunch time comes some won't make it.

Point noted, thanks.  I haven't been following prices close enough to observe, so I'll take your word for it.  I assumed the profit margins were thin. 

However I would think resellers will end up in a bind first.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 01:57:52 PM

If this continues, it would come to a point where no mining hardware is worth selling and all ASIC company would have to switch to scrypt-asic and the war starts again...
hZti

Activity: 952
Merit: 642

Magic

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 03:24:08 PM

But then everybody swathes to scrypt and you can get more BTc Smiley
cassimares

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2013, 03:27:46 PM

This title is wrong, there is hardware that is worth buying just not yet.... wait couple of months...

rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 05:44:51 PM

This title is wrong, there is hardware that is worth buying just not yet.... wait couple of months...

Lool no hardware is worth of buying esspecialy in couple of months when difficulty will be insane

rpg

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2013, 06:31:25 PM

Point noted, thanks.  I haven't been following prices close enough to observe, so I'll take your word for it.  I assumed the profit margins were thin. 

M

hardware manufacturers have been thief's selling for what the diff is. Look at asicminer that started selling at 3BTC now at .035BTC with a hub included. They have been playing on people greed and stupidity and laughing their way into the bank. The eruptor doesn't cost more then $1 to produce  for gods sake!!! But look at how they are selling on ebay. The Jalo's are going for over $250 when they are worth tops $50 if one hopes to make ROI. Even the KNC 500G selling for $6000 are overpriced with a .15BTC return daily on the next diff, they'll never make ROI, NEVER. Thief's, that's the only name I can call them
JungleBook

Activity: 183

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 01:44:16 PM

M

hardware manufacturers have been thief's selling for what the diff is. Look at asicminer that started selling at 3BTC now at .035BTC with a hub included. They have been playing on people greed and stupidity and laughing their way into the bank. The eruptor doesn't cost more then $1 to produce  for gods sake!!! But look at how they are selling on ebay. The Jalo's are going for over $250 when they are worth tops $50 if one hopes to make ROI. Even the KNC 500G selling for $6000 are overpriced with a .15BTC return daily on the next diff, they'll never make ROI, NEVER. Thief's, that's the only name I can call them

There is a better Class of ASIC mining company coming . Mark my words . Other companies will need to modify their prices and customer care to compete with the next generation of Asic developers.
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 04:17:39 PM

GPU's are profitable, ASICS not. Go LTC!
willisblackburn

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 11:28:30 AM

Thief's, that's the only name I can call them

I'm afraid that's true.  Maybe not in the beginning, but definitely right now.  They're selling people investments that will never pay off.  It's no better than selling someone stock in a company that you know is going bankrupt.
TheDragonSlayer

Activity: 273
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 02:14:28 PM

GPU's are profitable, ASICS not. Go LTC!

ASIC AND FPGA for LTC is coming out soon. Good luck....

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 03:59:50 PM

Did a small test sale Tuesday night (6 Nov).  Said it would be there by 12 Nov.  Was actually there this morning.  Only difference was six days was slightly longer than their usual projected date.  The actual time it took to appear was normal.

Larger transactions may be handled differently.
namoom

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 05:30:25 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fact that 1BTC is about $350 today?

Yes it will go down at some point, then back up (it is high risk though!)

I really am not too concerned about the power cost investment since I paid off my hardware

jeppe

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

In my opinion mining is not worth it anymore as the diff is skyrocketing to the moooon! Script mining is worth it atm with free power and LTC price going up. I invested in GPUS some month back and have nearly payed them of Smiley
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 08, 2013, 06:04:15 PM

I would buy some BTCs now

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: