Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:42:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Switched GPU to litecoin mining; issues with rejects/stales defeating hash inc.  (Read 890 times)
khelair (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 07:08:34 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2013, 07:21:09 PM by khelair

I recently realized that, with the difficulty that bitcoin mining has reached, using my electricity-guzzling GPU to assist on mining when I have a small ASIC rig for bitcoins was foolish.  Previously I'd only been using CPUs for mining litecoins, but I disabled the GPU on the BTC mining process and started a new cgminer thread (on Debian Linux, cgminer-3.5.0) just for scrypt/LTC mining with the GPU, and the reported kilohash rate is blowing away anything I've ever made with my CPUs' processes.  This is with a standard long-polling of my pool at ltc.kattare.org, fwiw.  Now here are where things get odd...  I'm having enough rejects/stales so that it's bringing my hash rate reported @ kattare wayyyy down, like from the 150+ KHash/sec reported by the miner to somewhere between 20 & 30 KHash/sec reported at the pool, with a huge amount of round stales.  My CPUs don't have anything even close to the percentage of stales/rejects that my GPU is getting.

• I tried going for a stratum+tcp configuration, and when I do that, I can't break 30KHash/sec, with kattare or another pool that I tested on.
  • I'm working with a Radeon 5xxx card, and the only other thing I can think of is maybe it has something to do with the difficulty of the shares I'm being given.  Other than that I don't have a clue.

Does anybody have any pointers to resources (I've been googling but haven't found anything yet that's helpful) that can help me get my KHash rate up to where it should be on the pool?  Or any direct experience?  Or maybe even input on if kattare is a poor choice in a pool or anything?  Anything you can offer is very much appreciate.

Thank you for your time!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
October 12, 2013, 11:59:24 PM

Yes, try another pool, or even another coin. Go to https://www.multipool.us and experiment with LTC, CGB, WDC or FTC coins. Pick the EU or US server according to your location

Then check https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison and see what hash rate you should be getting with your card(s).

Make sure you're using the "scrypt" parameter on your config file, also look at "thread-concurrency" and intensity (see good parameters on the previous link for your card), otherwise the gpu may be generating garbage.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██