Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:22:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Advice] 2 GPU case  (Read 3160 times)
l3jmr (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:14:02 PM

Hi,

im looking for a computer case that can accomodate 2 GPU cards (2x 7950/7970) and not run too hot, so i can take it to work to mine there with some free electricity. I have tried Thermaltake commander  MS-I and it didnt work out too good. I want the cheapest possible case that can keep the temperatures under 80 C.

Was thinking of this guy Antec DF-30:

⚫ ⚫ ⚫  Listen to the weekly altcoinsidekick.com podcast to understand what cryptocurrency is really all about.  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
AltcoinSidekick.com - CRYPTO Blog | Podcasts | Videos | Tools  ▬▬▬ ■

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fattypig

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 12:55:48 PM

I suggest not having a case is better, you just need some plastic container or some metal one do great.

http://www.cryptobadger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/miner.jpg

Any casing will most likely be too hot..

l3jmr (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:58:55 PM

I know that, but it would look strange having a milk case on a table at work wouldnt it? Cheesy That's why i want a case for 2 GPU at work.

⚫ ⚫ ⚫  Listen to the weekly altcoinsidekick.com podcast to understand what cryptocurrency is really all about.  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 01:04:39 PM

I know that, but it would look strange having a milk case on a table at work wouldnt it? Cheesy That's why i want a case for 2 GPU at work.

Oic.

Sorry, not too good with casing but some forumer suggest http://www.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/full-tower/haf-x.html.

LilGhost

Activity: 72

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 02:50:37 PM

Buy an old computer case, hook up a bunch of block erupters onto usb hubs you've mounted in the case that are powered off the pc power unit, load in usb fans, mine inconspicuously.
ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:13:09 PM

he probably wants to mine scrypt...

l3jmr (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 05:33:53 PM

Yes, scrypt. According to my calculations, USB miners will never ROI.

Quix

Activity: 174

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 06:48:16 PM

Cases don't really affect the temperature that much, what you really need is more/more powerful fans or water cooling. If you already have a MS-I, I'd recommend cutting a hole in the side panel and mounting a large intake fan. You can also hack up the front panel for better airflow. Also make sure that you have the fans all exhausting in the same direction E.G. Intake in front and exhaust in the back.

But if you're intent on spending a bunch of money the best idea by far is to improve the cooling on the video cards specifically. The ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme 7970 is a great replacement cooler for 7950/7970 cards... But it's quite expensive. I personally would try removing the stock shroud and strapping on additional fans with zip ties.

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is that the case is not terribly important to the cooling of the GPUs, what you need is more cooling.
l3jmr (OP)

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Cases don't really affect the temperature that much, what you really need is more/more powerful fans or water cooling. If you already have a MS-I, I'd recommend cutting a hole in the side panel and mounting a large intake fan. You can also hack up the front panel for better airflow. Also make sure that you have the fans all exhausting in the same direction E.G. Intake in front and exhaust in the back.

But if you're intent on spending a bunch of money the best idea by far is to improve the cooling on the video cards specifically. The is a great replacement cooler for 7950/7970 cards... But it's quite expensive. I personally would try removing the stock shroud and strapping on additional fans with zip ties.

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is that the case is not terribly important to the cooling of the GPUs, what you need is more cooling.
I sold the MS-I case already so i'm on the market for a new one. The reason i'm asking for a good case for mining is, because some have already have good cooling solutions? For example already have fans fited in front/back/top.

I would actually consider ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme 7970 if it's 100% that it would help. I checked and it costs 53eur wich aint that  big of a deal. I now have 1 card at work in some random no-name case and it works at 70 C, 65% fan. If i put a second card in they both hit 85+ C with fan 90%+. I dont want an airplane taking off in my office Smiley

How would that work, strapping on the fans? I have never tried/heared of that, got any additional advice?

thanks

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 09:29:37 AM

Cooler Master is a good choice as its fans are not wild boar!  Grin
kuusj98

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 01:38:18 PM

I have 3 Antec 900's, very, very cool!
But they kill any ROI you might get, which in it's own way is not ideal.

Better get a crate and hang up a few in there.
cowandtea

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 02:36:39 PM

Water cooler is good but costly and I'm also quite worry about water leaking but I think it can be avoided easily if u build it right.

Anyway, what you really need is undervolt and it would reduce the temperature significantly.

kuusj98

Activity: 812

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 05:40:28 PM

Water cooler is good but costly and I'm also quite worry about water leaking but I think it can be avoided easily if u build it right.

Anyway, what you really need is undervolt and it would reduce the temperature significantly.
The FUCK, are you talking about?
We are talking about cases, not WC my friend Wink
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 07:16:15 PM

Remove the side panel and undervolt the cards. My cards are running at 67ºC

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
(^_^)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:34:36 PM

HAF 912.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/316/images/haf912p.jpg

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/cooler-master-haf-912-plus-review/Cooler-Master-HAF-912-8-l.jpg

$50.  Side mount for 140mm fan to blow on gpu.  Removable HDD cage for better airflow and more room for graphics cards.
xminer

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:04:24 AM

it really comes down to the design of GPU cooler - most of them throw 90% heat into the case they're in. Along with that motherboard model (that is the distance between PCIEx slots) plays significant role as well - most have only 2 slots, there are couple (MSI socket FM1) models having 3 slots. 2 slots may only be good for blower design (like HIS ICEQ), not for "dual-triple-fan", found in most cards.

there's nothing more weird than to waste $$$ for supa-dupa-c00l case; what you actually need is to supply cold air to videocard fans and NOT mix it together with the hot air - no case will help you with that. There's such term in datacenter design - "hot corridor"/"cold corridor" - and essentially you have to build something resembling it.

In my experience with 2x5870 (sapphire fan design) it was very surprising that the best result was achieved when blowing hot air out of the front panel (2 120mm fans, one in "usual" place, other in 5.25" bay) and sucking in via the back of the case - the rig was built in an ancient extremely tight case, it's slightly higher than ATX mobo (like 32-35cm) and PSU was covering half of the mobo - cpu cooler was right under the PSU fan grill. The best idea was to locate videocards in a fashion that they suck air from the same location - achieved by placing them
at 90 degrees
Code:
===5870fan===[pciex extender]
                    ||           |
    cold          ||           |
    air             f|           |
    intake        a|          |
                    n|          |
                    ||          |
                    ||          |      [CPU socket]
====motherboard=====================

To cool fan-cooled videocard designs both inserted into mobo you'll need to install a fan into the side of the case - to blow directly between the videocards and this requires a 120-140mm hole in the side of the PC case plus sufficient width of it and a fan grill - for your fingers not to get cut off accidentally Smiley. HAF case in previous post has it.

120x38mm fans do wonders as well - but the noise is significantly higher.

hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:14:40 AM

If you worry about the heat, you should just undervolt and let it stay at stock clock.

Shouldn't be too hot, should be about 70c in casing.

rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 29, 2013, 08:32:33 AM

If you worry about the heat, you should just undervolt and let it stay at stock clock.

That is right but why stay on stock clock and mine 500khs when you can boost your performance to 650 khs with better cooling and overclocking

BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:05:23 AM

That is right but why stay on stock clock and mine 500khs when you can boost your performance to 650 khs with better cooling and overclocking

Because its in a case, cooling would much harder and you don't want it to go too high like 80c right?
gamersglory

Activity: 114

No more Crypto in this world

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 03:29:59 AM

I have an Antec Twelve Hundred case I've used for years on my pc that thing throws some serous air on the cards keeps them really cool
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:20:09 AM

I have an Antec Twelve Hundred case I've used for years on my pc that thing throws some serous air on the cards keeps them really cool

What is the temperature you manage to get for your GPU?
rpg

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 04:49:13 AM

at $8 each as you can buy them now on fire sale on ebay they ROI in 3 to 6 month. Reason? Although the hash rate will continue to go up like crazy in percentage will lower into the single digits per month, plus november and in particular december are going to be very slow in regards to hash rate increase. On the other end, unless you have free power you will never make ROI on a GPU, plus most ALT coins are already dead
SquallLeonhart
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1101

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:45:03 PM

at $8 each as you can buy them now on fire sale on ebay they ROI in 3 to 6 month. Reason? Although the hash rate will continue to go up like crazy in percentage will lower into the single digits per month, plus november and in particular december are going to be very slow in regards to hash rate increase. On the other end, unless you have free power you will never make ROI on a GPU, plus most ALT coins are already dead

Your calculation is way out. that would be $24 for 1 GH/s. Good luck ROI..
rampalija

Activity: 154

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 02:47:42 PM

Usb minners never ROI

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: