Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:28:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Killer transaction fee  (Read 2678 times)
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 06:34:59 PM

that's my point, the lower the transaction the higher as a percentage is the fee... hence why people need to move to ewallets...

Ewallets are a horrible idea and throw away the most important aspect of Bitcoin, that it is decentralized.  All so that you can, what, avoid a .0005 BTC fee on some transactions?  You realize that's less than a USD cent right now?

Ewallets are not a horrible idea. They are a necessary part of the Bitcoin economy. As secure, trusted ewallet services spring up, more "normal" people can get involved with Bitcoin. The fact that Bitcoin allows decentralization and true ownership of your own money is fantastic, but that doesn't mean that it's efficient or proper for every single user to keep his coins on his own computer. Surely you can appreciate a diversity in storage options, right?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 06:54:54 PM

I think we need secure devices instead of secure online wallets.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:09:47 PM

Who (by which mechanism) decides the size of fees?

It should be the sender (you), but with the standard client it isn't, and will probably remain like that until somebody implements a more decent way to avoid transaction spam propagation.

Until then, the client has some hardcoded fee policy that will take into account both the transaction value and the size of your transactions in bytes. Large transactions (in bytes) and small amounts tend to pay.

Who gets those fees? (I'm guessing some mining pool operator)

The miner which includes your transaction in a block.

Is there a way to NOT pay 10% when sending smallish amounts of BTC?

You don't get to choose with the standard client. And if you happen to find a client that allows you to choose, beware that standard clients won't even propagate your transaction if it doesn't abide to the hard coded fee policy. So be sure to at least try to connect directly to mining pools which don't follow the standard fee policy.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:22:20 PM

0.4BTC is too high to be caught by the spam filter; the other situation when tx fees are imposed are when you try to send coins that haven't been verified yet ( <=6 confirmations i think)

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
Desolator

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 07:38:23 PM

ummmm I'm running 0.3.24 beta and if I open the options, by default, it's set at "pay transaction fee 0.00" and it says above that that 0.01 is recommended to make it get processed more quickly.  Am I the only one who had it default to that?  How badly delayed are transactions that you tack 0 BTC onto?  Is it to the point where it's delayed indefinitely or are there so many miners and so little transactions that you're going to get picked up by them regardless or the transaction percentage/flat fee you tack on?

by the way, if I want to pay someone 10.00000000 BTC and I say add a transaction fee of 0.1 BTC cuz I want it done really, really quickly, do I have to do some math and send a modified amount manually myself so it's not less than 10BTC when it gets there or will the software send 10BTC to the target and automatically take the extra 0.1 out of my wallet for me?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 08:05:54 PM

ummmm I'm running 0.3.24 beta and if I open the options, by default, it's set at "pay transaction fee 0.00" and it says above that that 0.01 is recommended to make it get processed more quickly.  Am I the only one who had it default to that?  How badly delayed are transactions that you tack 0 BTC onto?  Is it to the point where it's delayed indefinitely or are there so many miners and so little transactions that you're going to get picked up by them regardless or the transaction percentage/flat fee you tack on?
It's 0 in the options but if you try to send a satoshi the client will refuse

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 08:10:11 PM

by the way, if I want to pay someone 10.00000000 BTC and I say add a transaction fee of 0.1 BTC cuz I want it done really, really quickly, do I have to do some math and send a modified amount manually myself so it's not less than 10BTC when it gets there or will the software send 10BTC to the target and automatically take the extra 0.1 out of my wallet for me?

A zero transaction fee is the default for the client.  You can leave it at zero, if you try to send coin you should receive a prompt stating you need to add a transaction fee and the amount.  You can then choose to continue or not.  Some have stated that the actual transaction fee has been different than what the client prompts you, but I haven't found that to be the case.  (although I haven't done many outgoing transfers)

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
July 22, 2011, 11:03:35 PM

I think we need secure devices instead of secure online wallets.
On my TODO list, and on several other peoples' too.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: