Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:42:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Devcoin(DVC) Source Code Updated to Bitcoin 0.8.x  (Read 5322 times)
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:39:19 PM

you guys Im surprised you dont see it.. Its a simple demand supply problem.. If you step back look at the big picture you may see it.. maybe Its easier for me since Im so used to calculate price targets for forex pairs which is so much more complicated.. this is not....
I see it, but I'm saying there is demand as well as supply, sellers as well as buyers. We're not going to agree on this, but that's fine we don't have to agree. I have a fundamentally different view of the basic economics of cryptos - one I think you already know - which is that they're all inflationary because frankly they're pretty much all the same. What sets them apart is being faddy and what will set them apart will be anything different they aim to achieve and the infrastructure base they can appeal to and work with to achieve that, and there's no point in the long-term aiming to not-be-inflationary. Issues today will not be the same issues in the future.

And I'd say fx trading is quite a bit less volatile and more straightforward to model than cryptos.

Fx is way harder I believe since there is unknown demand and supply and unknown external factors you have to dig and model based on what works today.

Your right that it may not matter in the future but I truly think its a great feature to add it im so why not? Ppl will call us scammers? The same ones that call us idiots for caring for a scamcoin? Who cares.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 09:42:14 PM

I appreciate this discussion, but I think it is too soon to talk about a possible change in the way Devcoin operates. Currently, it is still quite small (although very widely known) and young (only about 2 years). The inflation part has been huge during this period, but this will drop below 10% very soon (the next few years). If Crypto's live up to their full potential, 10% annual inflation will be a mere dip in the growth of value.

From my perspective, Devcoin has a future as prime example of supporting a cause directly but anonymously. It could be a role model of a 'charity coin'. Usable as currency, but in support of a commonly felt cause (is the Red Cross reading this?). It should be fancy in the future to use Devcoins (e.g., to pay for beverage and food with Devcoins at the big annual tech conferences), geeks knowing that they support their own. All this in connection with a much more valuable Devcoin, so more and prestigious projects can be funded.

We just need to find and cross the 'chasm' to make this happen.

Addition: as I wrote here, I think it is important to explain in more detail how Devcoin works in terms of total cap (=none) versus reality (it won't be a problem in the future).

weisoq

Activity: 720
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:30:13 PM

Fx is way harder I believe since there is unknown demand and supply and unknown external factors you have to dig and model based on what works today.

Your right that it may not matter in the future but I truly think its a great feature to add it im so why not? Ppl will call us scammers? The same ones that call us idiots for caring for a scamcoin? Who cares.
I'm here for similar reasons. The main upside as I've also said before is because the potential interest base is much much larger than any other crypto if done properly - in terms of primary interest as well as secondary support for the concept. I think most people here, including me, often forget that most people do not have the faintest idea what the discussion here is on about. It's generally pure tech-to-tech with speculation thrown in. Whatever the best approach of the future will be it certainly won't be one that involves people asking what cpu or gpu or asic is to get involved, whether people like that or not.

Ask yourself, is it the inflation rate, or if devcoin generation was just divided by 1000 (aka bitcoin) would it really be the same? Then imagine a future where there might be thousands of people or groups on the receiver list - having big numbers is going to help for average folks and getting sub distribution going. Yes that's optimistic but these are very early days in e-currency and I cannot see the hurry in even thinking about fundamental changes when it's far simpler to alter payouts and things are only just getting going with the portal, your work on the client and getting it out there.

Actually I've just now realised you're the sighujag from a thread a wrote on quite a while arguing inflation/deflation stuff, so you definitely know what my view is. If everyone wants to make this change, then I guess it would happen, but I'm pretty sure it would be a mistake in perception and reality.
weisoq

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 10:53:59 PM

I appreciate this discussion, but I think it is too soon to talk about a possible change in the way Devcoin operates. Currently, it is still quite small (although very widely known) and young (only about 2 years). The inflation part has been huge during this period, but this will drop below 10% very soon (the next few years). If Crypto's live up to their full potential, 10% annual inflation will be a mere dip in the growth of value.

From my perspective, Devcoin has a future as prime example of supporting a cause directly but anonymously. It could be a role model of a 'charity coin'. Usable as currency, but in support of a commonly felt cause (is the Red Cross reading this?). It should be fancy in the future to use Devcoins (e.g., to pay for beverage and food with Devcoins at the big annual tech conferences), geeks knowing that they support their own. All this in connection with a much more valuable Devcoin, so more and prestigious projects can be funded.

We just need to find and cross the 'chasm' to make this happen.

Addition: as I wrote here, I think it is important to explain in more detail how Devcoin works in terms of total cap (=none) versus reality (it won't be a problem in the future).
You want me to test a transfer again wekkel?
Wekkel
Legendary

yes

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:03:42 PM

I'm confident the test client works so we can save 1 DVC (2x 0.5 payment fee). However, I noticed the version of the client I tested is not available anymore and that the newer binaries at Github have a download problem (could not download the [...]w64.exe files from here).

sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:09:55 PM

All valid points you guys brought up.. thank you.

Yes I created a thread and posted in others saying you need inflation deflation balance.. some inflation im a deflationary framework is ideal like devcoin.. I like that wiki read lots of good info...

Just one point I need to drive home is that still as bitcoin becomes more precious the harder it will be for devcoin to stay stable in relation to bitcoin. As of now it looks like only trading is dome via ltc or btc so this is inportant to know and expect this. Only if volume picks up drastically and gains more traction than bitcoin to compensate for the block halving can devcoin price stabalize.

Had dvc usd been available on these exchange its a different story but for the forseeable future we are a bitcoin token.. providing one of the truest means to working to earn
bitcoins.. not devcoins since it is thought of as a gateway currently.

Do you guys think a price of 0.0000001 is going to bring in solid interest? Knowing that its always going to stay around there.. I would much rather change it early on than later..

Yes the granularity of recievers will change as userbase grows but remember
only 20k people max can be on that list.. After that you have to have sub niche recievers who will divy up per project.. but at that point the granularity of devcoin price wont matter since max recievers were already reached.

i thought a value of 1mbtc would serve us well because its granular enough in terms of fiat yet is one to one with a bitcoin sub value type. Then as the 20k recievers are dispersed coins they wont feel as if they need to get so many to feel as if they little bitcoin .. in other words they will consider it more precious and not worry about trying to make thousands in a block.

As long as people are earning more than a few coins per round I think its ok...at 1000 coins per
block thats 120k a day or 3 to 4 million per round.. divided by 20k receivers
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

I'm confident the test client works so we can save 1 DVC (2x 0.5 payment fee). However, I noticed the version of the client I tested is not available anymore and that the newer binaries at Github have a download problem (could not download the [...]w64.exe files from here).

I created a cross platform java installer its too big todownload so you must checkout the source to get it..
Wekkel
Legendary

yes

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:18:53 PM

I created a cross platform java installer its too big todownload so you must checkout the source to get it..

Thanks for the update. I do not have GitHub and are not really qualified to mess around with that. So I will just leave it alone  Roll Eyes

sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2013, 11:29:39 PM

Thanks for the update. I do not have GitHub and are not really qualified to mess around with that. So I will just leave it alone  Roll Eyes

Its easy on the page there is a link to download the github application if you are on windows and its really a wizard style interface.. put in the github repository and checkout then just open the jar file its an installer in the dist folder...

Someone needs to host the jar file online so we can distribute it easier.
weisoq

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:16:57 AM

Yes I created a thread and posted in others saying you need inflation deflation balance.. some inflation im a deflationary framework is ideal like devcoin.. I like that wiki read lots of good info...

Just one point I need to drive home is that still as bitcoin becomes more precious the harder it will be for devcoin to stay stable in relation to bitcoin. As of now it looks like only trading is dome via ltc or btc so this is inportant to know and expect this. Only if volume picks up drastically and gains more traction than bitcoin to compensate for the block halving can devcoin price stabalize.

Had dvc usd been available on these exchange its a different story but for the forseeable future we are a bitcoin token.. providing one of the truest means to working to earn

Do you guys think a price of 0.0000001 is going to bring in solid interest? Knowing that its always going to stay around there.. I would much rather change it early on than later..

only 20k people max can be on that list.. After that you have to have sub niche recievers who will divy up per project.. but at that point the granularity of devcoin price wont matter since max recievers were already reached.

i thought a value of 1mbtc would serve us well because its granular enough in terms of fiat yet is one to one with a bitcoin sub value type. Then as the 20k recievers are dispersed coins they wont feel as if they need to get so many to feel as if they little bitcoin .. in other words they will consider it more precious and not worry about trying to make thousands in a block.

As long as people are earning more than a few coins per round I think its ok...at 1000 coins per
And cheers to you for doing this work and suggesting ideas as you go. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, because I just don't see how there'd be any way of maintaining 1mbtc - price is just supply and demand. The 20k - will be a nice problem to have, but if it's reached would be as simple as receiver for say devtome distributing the dvc that make up that share to a sub group. Either way, I still share a lot of your general frustrations and I also hope that more is done through one means or another to address them.
weisoq

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 12:18:04 AM

Ok cool, but isn't it still the same flat 1 dvc
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2013, 01:05:22 AM

Bitcoin value is ridiculously volatile, we should be hoping that we will have a far more stable value than bitcoin has.

Bitcoin continues still after all these years to keep changing the prices of everything, you can check the price of something in bitcoins, decide it seems affordable, dig out your offline wallet machine from your vault, set it up, figure out which of your online machines has the most up to date blockchain on it, fire up a bitcoin client on it, wait for the blockchain to get up to date, go through whatever steps are required to get the online machine and the offline machine to agree about a transaction to move offline funds online or to send offline funds directly to the merchant from who you wanted to buy something, and find that the price has already changed.

Some payment processors only give you 15 minutes to send coins once you have found out from them what the price of what you want to buy is and lock it in for 15 minutes, so maybe if you get so practiced at the whole business of getting coins out of your offline wallet inside of 15 minutes you are okay, but otherwise you are very likely to find the price has already changed.

Hopefully with devcoins we can much faster move toward setting wages and prices directly in devcoins.

For example once various sites like devtome get their share directly to the site instead of directly to their employees/team/authors/workers, they can know how much devcoin they have in their kitty and set pay in devcoins instead of in shares. So workers will know how many devcoins they will be getting instead of having to wait to see how much a share happens to be by the time they get it.

Hopefully we can also set prices of services directly in devcoins too. For example we could have a food site that pays people per thousand grams of food produced or per thousand weeds pulled or whatever, and, having paid the workers in devcoins to produce the food, we'd know, once the food is harvested, how many devcoins it cost to produce it, thus we would be in a position to price it in devcoins directly when offering it for sale.

Possibly devcoin might be just the right coin with which to develop the entire supply-chain all the way up from the ground, the wind, the rain, sunlight, seeds and labour.

Free open source quarrying and lumber-jacking, free open source stonemasonry and brickmaking and carpentry and architecture - how to build affordable simple housing from local materials or from sustainable materials located nearby, or free open source materials so revolutionary that shipping them from a distance is actually more sustainable and more environmentally friendly than using local materials, whatever, basically free open source shelter so people can shelter from the elements and such while eating our free open source foodstuffs.

(I categorise clothing as shelter since it seems to me that unless clothing provides shelter it maybe is really not as totally essential to survival as shelter is; shelter from prurient eyes is maybe not always more life-or-death than shelter from inclement weather/elements.)

Maybe if we are to try to make our currency stable we should try to make it stable in relation to food and clothing/shelter more importantly than stable in relation to hideously volatile things like penny-stocks, bitcoins, tradeable pokemon-cards, fiat currencies and so on?

Maybe we could even reach a point where when the number of dollars it costs for a loaf of bread increases the number of devcoins it costs does not increase?

Would something like that constitute being even more stable than the fiat in terms of which the price of bread increased?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 01:30:38 AM

And cheers to you for doing this work and suggesting ideas as you go. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, because I just don't see how there'd be any way of maintaining 1mbtc - price is just supply and demand. The 20k - will be a nice problem to have, but if it's reached would be as simple as receiver for say devtome distributing the dvc that make up that share to a sub group. Either way, I still share a lot of your general frustrations and I also hope that more is done through one means or another to address them.

You cant gaurantee but by makign it 1000:1 price will tend towards 1mbtc the phsycological factor aswell as an easier build up of the bid orderbook since there would be less distribution. Based on growth of volume recently It would prob take a few years to reach but today you will need thousands of btc in volume which is pretty far fetched relative to today... just playing the odds.
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2013, 02:08:25 AM

Bitcoin value is ridiculously volatile, we should be hoping that we will have a far more stable value than bitcoin has.

Bitcoin continues still after all these years to keep changing the prices of everything, you can check the price of something in bitcoins, decide it seems affordable, dig out your offline wallet machine from your vault, set it up, figure out which of your online machines has the most up to date blockchain on it, fire up a bitcoin client on it, wait for the blockchain to get up to date, go through whatever steps are required to get the online machine and the offline machine to agree about a transaction to move offline funds online or to send offline funds directly to the merchant from who you wanted to buy something, and find that the price has already changed.

Some payment processors only give you 15 minutes to send coins once you have found out from them what the price of what you want to buy is and lock it in for 15 minutes, so maybe if you get so practiced at the whole business of getting coins out of your offline wallet inside of 15 minutes you are okay, but otherwise you are very likely to find the price has already changed.

Hopefully with devcoins we can much faster move toward setting wages and prices directly in devcoins.

For example once various sites like devtome get their share directly to the site instead of directly to their employees/team/authors/workers, they can know how much devcoin they have in their kitty and set pay in devcoins instead of in shares. So workers will know how many devcoins they will be getting instead of having to wait to see how much a share happens to be by the time they get it.

Hopefully we can also set prices of services directly in devcoins too. For example we could have a food site that pays people per thousand grams of food produced or per thousand weeds pulled or whatever, and, having paid the workers in devcoins to produce the food, we'd know, once the food is harvested, how many devcoins it cost to produce it, thus we would be in a position to price it in devcoins directly when offering it for sale.

Possibly devcoin might be just the right coin with which to develop the entire supply-chain all the way up from the ground, the wind, the rain, sunlight, seeds and labour.

Free open source quarrying and lumber-jacking, free open source stonemasonry and brickmaking and carpentry and architecture - how to build affordable simple housing from local materials or from sustainable materials located nearby, or free open source materials so revolutionary that shipping them from a distance is actually more sustainable and more environmentally friendly than using local materials, whatever, basically free open source shelter so people can shelter from the elements and such while eating our free open source foodstuffs.

(I categorise clothing as shelter since it seems to me that unless clothing provides shelter it maybe is really not as totally essential to survival as shelter is; shelter from prurient eyes is maybe not always more life-or-death than shelter from inclement weather/elements.)

Maybe if we are to try to make our currency stable we should try to make it stable in relation to food and clothing/shelter more importantly than stable in relation to hideously volatile things like penny-stocks, bitcoins, tradeable pokemon-cards, fiat currencies and so on?

Maybe we could even reach a point where when the number of dollars it costs for a loaf of bread increases the number of devcoins it costs does not increase?

Would something like that constitute being even more stable than the fiat in terms of which the price of bread increased?

-MarkM-

I agree the only way to instigate stability is a known static generation rate but all these things will be possible in far future when the project will grow to a point of self sufficience. As block reward stops halving market cap would have grown to allow funding of bigger projects and at the point they split off the price will stabalize because of constant generation
papamoi

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:30:30 PM

hi guys

i ve tried to dowload several times the windows wallet but a strange thing is happening:

whenever the download is finished,the .exe seems to disappear and i can t find it nowhere in the disk?

are the .exe compromised or is there any other explanation?

thanks
sidhujag (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 11:17:34 PM

hi guys

i ve tried to dowload several times the windows wallet but a strange thing is happening:

whenever the download is finished,the .exe seems to disappear and i can t find it nowhere in the disk?

are the .exe compromised or is there any other explanation?

thanks

Your anti-virus is deleting it. You have to accept it in your anti-virus.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: