Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:37:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitminter client (Windows/Linux/Mac)  (Read 654606 times)
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2013, 07:10:55 AM

I can't get the btminter mining button to work on firefox, nor chrome. I'm running ubuntu 11.10, and have OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime and Iced Tea Java Web Start 6 installed. When I click on the button in chrome, it just downloads the bitminter.jnlp file. In Firefox, it tries to run it, but running it in Firefox isn't right as it just opens an empty window. The button ran fine on the Windows 7 PC. any ideas?

Sounds like the java plugin is not working in your browser. Could you try starting from command line instead?

Code:
javaws http://bitminter.com/client/bitminter.jnlp

I have been trying to get bitminter up and running on my Pi for quite a while now. I have managed to get java installed and bitminter launches and downloads its own files after clicking the link on the page. But during the loading it pops up an error saying "JNA native support (/com/sun/jna/linux-arm/libjnidispatch.so) not found in resource path"

I did run it on a raspberry pi a little bit for testing. Which operating system did you install on your pi?

OK, here's the frequencies for the last 200 BTC blocks.... as I suspected, the outer ends are more heavily weighted:

For that little data it looks pretty even. If you want a thorough analysis have a look at the one Organofcorti did: http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/05/131-bitminter-and-luck.html

Dunno what's wrong but I cannot login anymore with the Bitminter client, bad credentials.

If you are still having problems please contact me through the contact page at the website and I'll look into it.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
matreciman

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 26, 2013, 09:35:56 PM

I have been trying to get bitminter up and running on my Pi for quite a while now. I have managed to get java installed and bitminter launches and downloads its own files after clicking the link on the page. But during the loading it pops up an error saying "JNA native support (/com/sun/jna/linux-arm/libjnidispatch.so) not found in resource path"

I did run it on a raspberry pi a little bit for testing. Which operating system did you install on your pi?

I have tried every OS I could find. Closest i got was the problem I posted before using the hard float raspbian. I spent 2 days straight trying to get it up and running before I gave up and switched to minepeon. Which version of java did you use? Did you use Icedtea and if so what version?
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 06:22:29 AM

I have tried every OS I could find. Closest i got was the problem I posted before using the hard float raspbian. I spent 2 days straight trying to get it up and running before I gave up and switched to minepeon. Which version of java did you use? Did you use Icedtea and if so what version?

I believe it was Raspbian with openjdk. It took about 60 seconds to start, or at least it felt that way, but it ran ok after it finally got up and running.

Viscera

Activity: 660
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:16:23 AM
Last edit: August 01, 2013, 06:36:32 AM by Viscera

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the miner that it just gets to the point where is finished downloading and then gets stuck verifying and doesn't actually start. Is this a new issue or is it something I'm doing wrong?

I'm using windows 7 with firefox version 22 and I have Java Version 7 Update 25

thanks
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:32:53 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the miner that it just gets to the point where is finished downloading and then gets stuck verifying and doesn't actually start. Is this a new issue or is it something I'm doing wrong?

I'm using windows 7 with firefox, and I have java intalled

thanks
Do you have AVG antivirus?  Disable/uninstall it if you do, then try again...
Viscera

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 06:44:03 AM

Hi,

I'm using windows 7 with firefox, and I have java intalled

thanks
Do you have AVG antivirus?  Disable/uninstall it if you do, then try again...

Haha, what a quick reply Smiley thank you. You are right, I do have AVG, can you recommend a different virus protection that will work with this? thanks again
Viscera

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 09:12:12 AM

I'm currently running this with no anti virus and it's working ok but I'd like to have something compatible it there is something.

I'm setting up this account in preparations for some more serious hardware but am currently mining with an old video card. The miner says I'm doing 20 mh/s but the dial still show's zero. This may be normal with such a slow card but It would be nice if you could reassure me of this.

Also the performance for the card shows I should be mining 0.0003 bitcoins/day but the overall performance is showing zero.

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 02:51:48 PM

I'm currently running this with no anti virus and it's working ok but I'd like to have something compatible it there is something.

I'm setting up this account in preparations for some more serious hardware but am currently mining with an old video card. The miner says I'm doing 20 mh/s but the dial still show's zero. This may be normal with such a slow card but It would be nice if you could reassure me of this.

Also the performance for the card shows I should be mining 0.0003 bitcoins/day but the overall performance is showing zero.

The website is trying to estimate your hashrate based on how often you send in proofs of work. For low hashrates this doesn't really work well and it will often show zero.

You could check out the AVG forums or support for how to make AVG work with java webstart. Many users have had problems with this.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 07:32:18 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials is an ok free antivirus.  It at least doesn't bug you with popups to buy a full version or anything, and it works fine with BitMinter.
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 08:01:04 PM

Why does the Bitminter client acceleratometer still show 0.00 after 7 days of mining?

I do get the coins added to my account.

DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2013, 10:13:15 PM

Why does the Bitminter client acceleratometer still show 0.00 after 7 days of mining?

Must be a bug. I see your Icarus/block erupter shows a hashrate, but the total hashrate is still zero. I haven't seen this happening myself, so I'm not sure what would cause it.

dankroxel

Activity: 30

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 09:13:17 PM

I understand this is probably not where I'm supposed to post, But I got my miners set up, I have a worker set up and my wallet key set, but I don't seem to be mining any coins or even getting payouts.. what gives? Am I missing something?
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2013, 01:05:29 AM

I understand this is probably not where I'm supposed to post, But I got my miners set up, I have a worker set up and my wallet key set, but I don't seem to be mining any coins or even getting payouts.. what gives? Am I missing something?

Are you getting accepted proofs of work? Shown in the client and under "my account" -> "workers" on the website. If so, then all is fine.

How payouts work:

Some payment info:

The approximate mint speed shown in BitMinter client is just that, an approximation. Bitcoin mining is like a lottery. How often we find a block, and earn bitcoins from that block, is random. Each hash you process is like a lottery ticket. Each hash has a (very low) chance of producing a block. You get paid with coins from a block whenever a block is found by someone mining in the pool. Your share of the income from a block is determined by the amount of work that you did in the most recent 10 shifts at the time the block is found.

Because of this, your daily income will vary with luck. That's often referred to as variance. There may also be some hours between two payouts if we are having bad luck and no blocks are found for a while.

In addition to that there is a delay from the time you do some work until that work is fully paid. The work you do is registered in a shift, and then that work is credited with income from new blocks we find until its shift is no longer among the 10 latest shifts. This takes a few hours. If you turn off the prepay perk then there is an additional delay having to wait for blocks to confirm, which takes about 20 hours.

So, assuming you have prepay on, if you do 24 hours of work and then look at the results, then only some of that work has been fully paid. The remaining work is still receiving pay, even if you stop mining. Needless to say that is not going to look very profitable, when you are looking at all the work you did but only part of the pay you are going to receive.

Comparing pools by how much you get paid for 24 hours of mining is pointless. The comparison becomes "which pool has the best luck today?" You can't use that data for anything. The luck a pool has today has no influence on its luck tomorrow. Believing that it does is called "gambler's fallacy" which you can ready about on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

If you want to know how BitMinter's payouts have been over time you can read Organofcorti's very detailed analysis here:

http://organofcorti.blogspot.com/2013/05/131-bitminter-and-luck.html

aminkorea

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2013, 09:40:30 AM

Will the bitminter client ever be adapted to work with litecoin or feathercoin?
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2013, 08:19:02 PM

Will the bitminter client ever be adapted to work with litecoin or feathercoin?

Don't know yet, sorry.

schmeckis

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 03:56:28 AM

Hi

Great job with the pool and the mining software. 

I wonder if any thought has been given to a tiered approach to the pool.  In other words, have a pool for the really big guys and another for us smaller folks.
I figure it is worth a thought given that there is no way we can keep up with guys running 2 Thz.

Just opening for discussion.
dominicus

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:26:52 AM

Hi

I wonder if any thought has been given to a tiered approach to the pool.  In other words, have a pool for the really big guys and another for us smaller folks.
I figure it is worth a thought given that there is no way we can keep up with guys running 2 Thz.

What aspect of the pool or mining exactly are you wanting to "tier" based on hash rate?

Help me troubleshoot my BTC address.
Send some coins here: 1FkQS1RuEmSppCPdGPVGHtc4aj2nBiHAYF
If I don't return your test transfer, it must be having issues still.
DrHaribo (OP)
Legendary

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2013, 12:39:23 PM

Hi

Hi,

nice to hear that you like the pool and miner Smiley

The really big guys are helping reduce variance for you. You don't need to "keep up" with other miners in the same pool. But you do need to keep up with the global hashrate if you don't want your mining income to drop as the difficulty rises.

I'd see it this way.. massive ASIC production causing the difficulty to skyrocket is bad for your mining income. But having a decent share of the global hashpower in our pool is good as it reduces variance.

If you want a lot of variance (which you would get in a pool with only small miners) then you could try solo mining. I wouldn't recommend it though. You could be waiting a year or two before you get anything at all.

schmeckis

Activity: 3

View Profile
August 09, 2013, 05:21:45 PM

Thanks for the response.  Just looking for a bit more education.
My understanding is that it is mostly luck that determines whether we build a new block.
That being said, more is better. It is like buying lottery tickets.  The more you buy the better your chances of winning.
But, I wouldn't spend a million to win a million.

I am going to keep watching the blocks created and see if we improve as more of the larger rigs get online.

I have more ordered myself.   But nothing over 100 Ghz.

Thanks
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 10, 2013, 01:21:24 PM

Must be a bug. I see your Icarus/block erupter shows a hashrate, but the total hashrate is still zero. I haven't seen this happening myself, so I'm not sure what would cause it.

This problem is still recurring with me. I hope you can fix it.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 »
  Print  

Jump to: