Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:59:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the 'best' block explorer to set up on a server ?  (Read 1936 times)
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 02:36:17 PM

We want to set up a block explorer type application on a server node and wanted feedback from anyone who has done something similiar.

What we plan to do is:
+ run a bitcoind on a nice, quick, well connected server (or two).
+ also run a block explorer type app on the same node.
+ add in a REST interface to the server to provide things like:
    + given an address, what are the transactions ?
    + given a master public key, what was the date of the first HD address that is on the blockchain ?

This isn't the sort of thing a bitcoind can do via RPC (to my knowledge). The bitcoind would have a blank wallet for security reasons.

What software is there available that can give 'block explorer' type info ?
(Just ignore the specifics of the REST interface - we are expecting to have to write that)

I know of:
+ ABE
+ Electrum server
+ there are closed solutions like blockchain.info and Jan Moller's bitcoinspinner/ mycelium backend but we are looking for something open source.

Java would be prefered but we are flexible as to the language.

If you have done something similiar (or tried and ran into difficulties) your feedback would be very useful.

Cheers,

Jim

p.s. You can probably guess that it we are doing this as a part of the MultiBit HD development.  :-)

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2013, 12:15:59 AM

I don't know of one, but I did start a thread to gather feedback for an idea like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=289998.0

I'm interested in developing an open-source VM that meets the requirements just as you mentioned because of the many hurdles I had to overcome just to get bitcoind to do what I wanted. Wrote a blog post about it, for anyone interested: http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2013/09/18/developing-against-bitcoind/

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 14, 2013, 05:38:38 AM

Is this what you're looking for? Open source block explorer.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22785.0
Jouke

Activity: 426
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 11:36:15 AM

We want to set up a block explorer type application on a server node and wanted feedback from anyone who has done something similiar.

What we plan to do is:
+ run a bitcoind on a nice, quick, well connected server (or two).
+ also run a block explorer type app on the same node.
+ add in a REST interface to the server to provide things like:
    + given an address, what are the transactions ?
    + given a master public key, what was the date of the first HD address that is on the blockchain ?

This isn't the sort of thing a bitcoind can do via RPC (to my knowledge). The bitcoind would have a blank wallet for security reasons.

What software is there available that can give 'block explorer' type info ?
(Just ignore the specifics of the REST interface - we are expecting to have to write that)

I know of:
+ ABE
+ Electrum server
+ there are closed solutions like blockchain.info and Jan Moller's bitcoinspinner/ mycelium backend but we are looking for something open source.

Java would be prefered but we are flexible as to the language.

If you have done something similiar (or tried and ran into difficulties) your feedback would be very useful.

Cheers,

Jim

p.s. You can probably guess that it we are doing this as a part of the MultiBit HD development.  :-)

Abe already has an api call to fetch unspent outputs of an address.

Koop en verkoop snel en veilig bitcoins via iDeal op Bitonic.nl
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 02:03:15 PM

Abe already has an api call to fetch unspent outputs of an address.

Do you happen to have a link with that info? Not seeing anything in the README about it

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
jim618 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 10:11:18 AM

Thanks for your feedback - Abe looks like the best candidate to use.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 10:22:13 AM

Best one would be a custom built one based on libbitcoin. But also the hardest option.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: