Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:06:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New to mining need an Advice  (Read 623 times)
GoodTrout55 (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:12:48 PM

Hello as I said I'm a bit newbie in terms of mining. I want to try out GPU mining if its possible and got some few questions and hope that someone can help.

1. First is, is still profitable to mine using just 1 card? My plan is to try one gtx 1080ti or 1070ti (just ignore the electricity consumption factor).

2. Will it be possible to plug it on my workstation and be able to do my daily tasks on my PC and be able to mine. (What I mean is just using my onboard graphics and letting the GPU to mine.)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nsummy

Activity: 1178
Merit: 131

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:31:51 PM

1. yes
2. yes

I will also add that it is refreshing seeing someone post legitimate questions instead of "I have a $20,000 budget, what should I buy."
klwolf2000

Activity: 88

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 04:44:36 PM

GPU mining is still profitable for now but only if you get the video card from manufacturer and don't pay $900+. 1080ti's make about $2 a day and have been consistently going down. With new asics and gpu's on the way I wouldn't recommend getting into GPU mining. If you happen to have the video card and want to make a little extra cash it is just fine to mine with it for now.
vlad230

Activity: 616
Merit: 279

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 05:44:34 PM
Merited by STT (1), g4vinshreds (1)

Hello as I said I'm a bit newbie in terms of mining. I want to try out GPU mining if its possible and got some few questions and hope that someone can help.

1. First is, is still profitable to mine using just 1 card? My plan is to try one gtx 1080ti or 1070ti (just ignore the electricity consumption factor).

2. Will it be possible to plug it on my workstation and be able to do my daily tasks on my PC and be able to mine. (What I mean is just using my onboard graphics and letting the GPU to mine.)

Yes, you can do that but the profit will not be very big. Taking into account that your workstation will use electricity for your other components, I would recommend having as many GPUs as you can fit in your workstation and of course, what your power supply can sustain.

To get an idea on what you can make with certain GPUs you can check out this website: https://whattomine.com/
Also, please keep in mind that if you have a decent processor you can also mine using it and set the priority of the CPU mining process as "low priority" to not interfere with your usage of your workstation.

Also, to see your overall workstation power consumption you can check out this website: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/
dhouse

Activity: 266
Merit: 2

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 06:15:09 PM

In my opinion this is the best way to get started in mining, by starting small.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:16:46 PM

Now really isn't the time to be buying GPU's unless you can find some really good deals.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
agricointech

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 07:59:08 PM

refer to this website,you can get mining profit

What to mine-ETH
dhouse

Activity: 266

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 08:27:02 PM

Now really isn't the time to be buying GPU's unless you can find some really good deals.

Yeah, you might try craiglist or something. Also, you can try a cheaper card
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 08:44:59 PM

Mining is always profitable if you ignore the electricity consumption factor.

Of course. The only thing you can't do on that workstation are graphic-intensive operations, e.g. gaming or graphic design.
shilpy275

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 10:47:45 PM

How to mine Ethereum? Can  you please explain?
Max Likelihood

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 11:41:55 PM

As others have said, yes imo to 1--I don't do 2) because I have dedicated rigs but others do. Look carefully and wait patiently for GPU prices to come down, which they should be and already are.  < $1 per sol on equihash might be impossible anymore as a price guideline (though just wait on used 10 series) but I built my farm on it before the shortage.

Don't expect big money, but stay agile and jump on new coins at the beginning if they have exchange support and you think they will go somewhere.
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
March 13, 2018, 11:51:14 PM

Yeah, you might try craiglist or something. Also, you can try a cheaper card

I don't know that we share the same opinion on that.  Sure if he wants to do some experimenting and get his foot in the door, gain some hands on knowledge, buy a couple cheaper cards, but don't go building a 60 gpu home farm with 1050's right now.  You're going to be wanting to replace them with something better way sooner than you think.  I'm currently thinking I'll probably sell all of my 1070ti's at some point this summer.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
GoodTrout55 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 03:11:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. Anyway, I already bought a card and its a 1070ti. Now my problem is that when I use Nicehash, my computer is a bit Laggy. Thus, making the PC unusable for my second purpose which was to make this as my workstation at the same time. Is there any workaround on this so I can still work while my GPU is mining?

(What I'm planning is to put directly my hdmi cable directly to board to use the onboard graphics while running my GPU) Will this be possible?

Just to add. I had been researching for the best Algo to mine using Nvidia GPU. Also nicehash shows Lyra2v2 gives much decent earning. Would love to hear your suggestions about this. Thanks
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:48:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. Anyway, I already bought a card and its a 1070ti. Now my problem is that when I use Nicehash, my computer is a bit Laggy.
Can be happened because of spec your cpu such Processor, RAM.

(What I'm planning is to put directly my hdmi cable directly to board to use the onboard graphics while running my GPU) Will this be possible?
Yes you can do it.

qwertyking

Activity: 98

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 04:58:12 AM

eth mining is card comsuming, my suggestion is not to mine eth, but to mine some other altcoins using algo like equihash.
GoodTrout55 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:12:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. Anyway, I already bought a card and its a 1070ti. Now my problem is that when I use Nicehash, my computer is a bit Laggy.
Can be happened because of spec your cpu such Processor, RAM.

Yes you can do it.

Thanks for the answer. Currently I'm using an i3 7th gen procie, and a single stick 8gb ram? Do I need to upgrade these parts?
GoodTrout55 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:14:26 AM

eth mining is card comsuming, my suggestion is not to mine eth, but to mine some other altcoins using algo like equihash.

right now I'm using a CCminer with a lyra2v2 algorithm. I have stop using nicehash because I can't work and mine at the same time. 
GoodTrout55 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:28:31 AM

Nicehash will also mine on your CPU if you don't disable it. That might be why you are experiencing lag.

I did disabled the mine on cpu in the setting of nicehash. What can I see is that nicehash is giving me a bit more hash than on CCminer.
dimpsk

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:34:47 AM

Nope it is not profitable now to mine using 1 GPU due to electricity costs on the whole PC.
Except you have free electricity wall ofcourse
GoodTrout55 (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 05:43:42 AM

Nope it is not profitable now to mine using 1 GPU due to electricity costs on the whole PC.
Except you have free electricity wall ofcourse

WTF. Are you really reading the OP or just here to shitpost your way around? I have indicated that electricity is not a factor to consider.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: