Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:19:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction takes a long time to confirm?  (Read 21300 times)
hsf_context (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 04:30:14 PM

Is it normal for a transaction to take more than an hour to confirm? This is the second time I'm sending bitcoins and both take a long time to confirm.
The first transaction took about 30 minutes and my latest transaction to GLBSE hasn't been confirmed and it's been almost an hour.

Digital artist for hire! Sketches anyone?
Want a custom Photoshop artwork? PM me! GIF banners available too!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 04:50:10 PM

Is it normal for a transaction to take more than an hour to confirm? This is the second time I'm sending bitcoins and both take a long time to confirm.
The first transaction took about 30 minutes and my latest transaction to GLBSE hasn't been confirmed and it's been almost an hour.

Do you mean an hour to get the first confirmation, or an hour to get 6 confirmations and show as "confirmed" in your client?

The first confirmation typically takes around 10 minutes, but exchanges and such won't update your balance until they have 6 (or more?) confirmations, hence why it takes an hour.
hsf_context (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2011, 11:39:50 PM

An hour to get the first confirmation. After the transaction (finally) shows as confirmed, the confirmation count increases like normal.

Chris Acheson

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 11:56:26 PM

I've had that happen occasionally.  You can check the list of unconfirmed transactions to see what kind of priority you have: http://bitcoincharts.com/bitcoin/
hsf_context (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 12:12:39 AM

It's already confirmed by now. I just don't want this to happen everytime I send out bitcoins, it's deterring me from buying anything  Sad
But it happened to your occasionally? I guess I just struck bad twice.

Chris Acheson

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:15:39 AM

From the list of unconfirmed transactions, it looks like the high-priority transactions all pay a fee of 0.01 BTC.  There might still be a decent number of miners/pools out there using older software that has 0.01 as the minimum transaction fee, and lumps anything lower in with the free transactions.
compro01

Activity: 590
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:57:48 AM

there's been some periods lately where it takes an unusually long time for a block to be found.

for example, about 3 hours ago, it took almost an hour for a block to be found.
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2015, 10:41:24 PM

I have transfered bitcoin since the morning till now it take 53 confirmations but still not finish.
My receiver use vipbitcoin.
Anybody know why it take so long and too many confirmations?
https://blockchain.info/address/1DksmfoBX26PHjFYGjAR3heeigPhZwZfye

Huh

I was wondering why OP was talking about GLBSE, then I realised this was a post from 2011.

Avoid bumping very old threads, you should probably have made a new one instead.

To answer your question, it probably has to do with the fee you paid. The lower the fee, the longer it takes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: