Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:50:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is bad crypto dangerous?
Yes, it is an existential threat - 25 (73.5%)
No, high school math is good enough - 9 (26.5%)
Total Voters: 34

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The impact of bad crypto (DASH, SDC, etc). How much does math matter?  (Read 7222 times)
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2016, 06:33:32 PM

How quickly Alex forgets--must have dementia or something.  Huh

I never asked for NSA proof transactions, nor was I promised them, but I would like protection from non-state actors, and if the right network evolves within I2p or TOR or something else, then a coin that can be NSA proof would be even better, so no dash, yes Monero.

What part of "untraceable" and "nobody" don't you get?

..."nobody can trace your transfers unless you decide so"

Yeah, well, I didn't decide that I wanted the government to know what I'm transacting Cry

Monero #SCAM #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
XMR #snakeoil  Cry Cry Cry

Again, you're conflating metadata that requires your OSPEC to be on point and the network you are interacting with not to leek information with Monero's technology--so this is like blaming a car company for traffic accidents caused by the absence of a stop sign. The car company can only do so much, but in dash's case they forgot the airbags and brakes.

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin. Notice I wrote "privacy" and not anonymity in prior post upthread. For privacy, I think Monero is suitable and Dash is not (because not autonomous End-to-End).

Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AlexGR
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049

View Profile
April 26, 2016, 06:40:00 PM

Monero #REKT  Cry Cry Cry
funnyman21

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 22, 2016, 05:01:03 PM

How much money was lost as a result of the DASH paper wallet faulty RNG (January 4th - April 5th, 2016)?

What was the damage caused by the recent fork?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1592314.0
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 23, 2016, 09:40:37 AM

How much money was lost as a result of the DASH paper wallet faulty RNG (January 4th - April 5th, 2016)?

What was the damage caused by the recent fork?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1592314.0

Wow, that's not good.

It's amateur hour over at the Dash compound.  First the instamine, now this RNG fail and fork.

No wonder Monero is eating their market cap.   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
August 24, 2016, 06:12:36 AM

And if CT is ever implemented for bitcoin itself then bitcoin will no longer be a tier 1 asset and no longer constitute viable money. (At least not in any sociological sense that could support its value).

Just for clarification, by "monetary tier", I meant this: If I use my bike as "money" to pay for something then the bike is the tier 1 money and the contract that says someone owns it is the tier 2 asset. The tier 2 asset can be obscured, burned, washed through the washing machine, without compromising the integrity or value of the tier 1 asset.

In crypto, obscured blockchains (such as CT) potentially have the job of record keeping and obscuring the ownership of a tier 1 asset (bitcoin). But they are not tier 1 assets in their own right (by virtue of being obscured).

I have to say that I like this (totally flawed) argument  Grin because it seems to be convincing at first.  

However, it is flawed for two reasons: one economical, and one of principle.

The thing with any crypto currency, even bitcoin, is that there IS NO FIRST TIER.  There are no "individual bitcoins as entities existing somewhere", there are only proofs that you ARE ENTITLED TO SPEND an amount of bitcoin.

After all, what happens is that "bitcoins" are UTXO of which you can "solve the puzzle" (of which you have the private key that can easily solve the puzzle).  When you have transacted an UTXO, that specific UTXO doesn't exist any more (it is not "unspend" any more).  You've created a NEW UTXO and you've destroyed an old one.  So each transaction is a "next tier" according to the logic you introduced.

In a certain limit, you may say that "real" bitcoins are the UTXO of the coinbase, when a miner makes a new block.  Now, when that miner transfers those coins to someone, he's in fact not transferring that UTXO (he could if he were to *transfer the secret key* but that would be silly to accept).  He's giving you a new UTXO, that proves that you are now entitled to spend those bitcoins, and he's not any more.  But no actual bitcoin, no actual "bike" has changed hand: a new document has been written, a new notarial act, that tells everybody that the "bike" is now your property.

However, in as much as new UTXO are of exactly the same form as the coinbase ones, you could even say that the coinbase UTXO is already a "tier 2" act of proof of possession, and that there are no bitcoins like there is your bike: there are only successive proofs of possession, which are the successive UTXO.

Next, we come to multiple-input-multiple-output transactions on bitcoin.  There too, your argument breaks down.  If bitcoin number 57 (what's that ?  That's the non-existent equivalent of your tier-1 bike) and bitcoin number 102 are both inputs to transaction 20370 on the chain, and there is an output of 1 bitcoin, and another output of 1 bitcoin, which one is which ?  Is the owner of the first output now the owner of bitcoin number 57 (the red bike) or is he now owner of bitcoin number 102 (the green bike) ?

So even on a public block chain there's no such thing as "tier-1 possession" because these objects don't exist: the only thing that exist is PROOF OF RIGHT TO SPEND (your "tier-2" kind of stuff).

And now we come to something essential which is the economic argument: in order for a monetary unit to be fungible, the ONLY thing that should be knowable is the proof of right to spend.  That's in fact exactly the same with fiat money in a bank account.  When you pay someone, the only thing that is verified is that you have the right to spend so many dollars, and not whether those dollars are representing the green or the red bike.  That's called "fungible units".

The only thing that is needed in a payment system is a proof of right to spend.  Public block chains fail at that, because they give out MORE information than just that.  Obfuscated block chains are a better approach to that ideal.

There is no "first tier" in a monetary unit.
johnwoodworth598

Activity: 518
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2018, 09:20:40 AM

Against the NSA yes I stand by the assertion that IP address correlation unmasks, overlapping rings unmask, etc. It all adds up if you are trying to hide from governments, then I don't trust Monero or any anonymous coin.

monero has a future! Dash does not even solve the problem, which Monero solves and throws, even finds ways to create new problems.
rindo

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 07, 2018, 11:50:48 AM

How much money was lost as a result of the DASH paper wallet faulty RNG.

Recently, Dash presented a significant appreciation in its price and it is believed that the main reason is the launch of "Dash Text" in Venezuela, an SMS-based crypto-currency transaction service. According to the company, the application eliminates the need for Venezuelan users to have smartphones and internet access to carry out transactions involving crypto-coins, a fact that has historically been a significant barrier to the adoption of crypto-coins in the country led by Nicolás Maduro.

The solution to this problem was built in partnership with BlockCypher, specializing in blockchain solutions that allow users to interact with multiple crypto-coins through a single platform. Currently in the beta version, Dash Text will allow Movistar and Digitel users - Venezuela's largest telecommunications providers - to access Dash services through a simple five-digit shortcode.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: