Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:25:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No confirmation in over 90 minutes?  (Read 772 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:34:13 PM

I sent some BTC from one exchange to another and there have been 0 confirmations in over 90 minutes now.  Is that anything to worry about?
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cactus-pits

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:36:41 PM

I did some very small transactions last night and it took over 12 hours for it to complete...I dunno
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:56:20 PM

your going to find this happening.

with so many high speed miners jumping on each day creating blocks in under 2 minutes, at some point the network needs to even this out to a 10 minute average per block. causing an extremely difficult block to crack just to get things back to normal.

the other part is that mining pools are getting greedy some of them wont accept a transaction without a fee, leaving some transactions in a queue.. so dont expect the 10 minute rule to apply in 98% of cases for your particular transactions.. its the rule of averages, over multiple blocks

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Crossbow376

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:56:34 PM

Is your transaction consists of many dust inputs and do not have enough fee?

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:00:53 PM

tx id of that transaction?
Well It can be due to many things.. Low priority, low fees etc.
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:03:17 PM

with so many high speed miners jumping on each day creating blocks in under 2 minutes, at some point the network needs to even this out to a 10 minute average per block. causing an extremely difficult block to crack just to get things back to normal.

the other part is that mining pools are getting greedy some of them wont accept a transaction without a fee, leaving some transactions in a queue.. so dont expect the 10 minute rule to apply in 98% of cases for your particular transactions.. its the rule of averages, over multiple blocks

I don't think what you're saying about difficulty is correct. The difficulty does not change with each block but changes every 2 weeks or so. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:10:10 PM

I don't think what you're saying about difficulty is correct. The difficulty does not change with each block but changes every 2 weeks or so. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Difficulty adjusts every 2016 blocks according to the average hash rate over the previous 2016 blocks.  If the hash rate increases above this average, then the 10-minute average time to solve a block will decrease.  For example, if hash rate rises 100% above the previous average, then on average you will see 5-minute blocks until the next readjustment.

This is why we're seeing difficulty readjustments every 11-12 days instead of the predictable 14 at a constant hash rate...network hash rate keeps increasing.

There is also no mechanism that will make a block extra-easy or extra-hard to solve.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1025

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:10:43 PM

I sent some BTC from one exchange to another and there have been 0 confirmations in over 90 minutes now.  Is that anything to worry about?
It's more likely a case of scumbag MtGox not paying any fees for it's outgoing transactions. It is also preferable, in my opinion, to withdraw money to your wallet first, so you are in control of at least part of the transaction and it's progress can be easily monitored.
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:25:06 PM

It's more likely a case of scumbag MtGox not paying any fees for it's outgoing transactions. It is also preferable, in my opinion, to withdraw money to your wallet first, so you are in control of at least part of the transaction and it's progress can be easily monitored.

Exactly, exchange sites are paying less or 0 fees and their coins age is low.
I did a transaction of 1 BTC and it got confirmed in max 5 seconds.
http://blockchain.info/tx/5958120b3f27279b0e0dfaff4597bfc125612c40501b2a49f24d7fc258858953  (it's showing +1 minute but it took just 5 second)
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:28:07 PM

Exactly, exchange sites are paying less or 0 fees and their coins age is low.
I did a transaction of 1 BTC and it got confirmed in max 5 seconds.
http://blockchain.info/tx/5958120b3f27279b0e0dfaff4597bfc125612c40501b2a49f24d7fc258858953  (it's showing +1 minute but it took just 5 second)
I think that was because, your transaction got relayed to a miner which at the time either found a block and included it, or you tx got relayed to some other relay that relayed it to a miner that included it in a block . Basically, you were lucky you sent it just before a block was found and a miner included it.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
escrow.ms
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:34:10 PM

I think that was because, your transaction got relayed to a miner which at the time either found a block and included it, or you tx got relayed to some other relay that relayed it to a miner that included it in a block . Basically, you were lucky you sent it just before a block was found and a miner included it.

that's nice lol Smiley
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:49:49 PM

i never said it retargets with every block...

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:00:04 PM

i never said it retargets with every block...

But you did imply that if miners are just very lucky in solving blocks then the network will force a block that is extra-hard to solve, and this is incorrect.  There is no 'need' to even anything out.  We could solve 2016 1-minute blocks in a row and the  network wouldn't give a shit.  Only statisticians would be having a field day with it Cheesy
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:43:07 AM

It is also preferable, in my opinion, to withdraw money to your wallet first, so you are in control of at least part of the transaction and it's progress can be easily monitored
Really?  Is this what smart people do instead of sending coins from exchange to exchange directly?
vervolioman

Activity: 493

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 07:47:59 AM

I did some very small transactions last night and it took over 12 hours for it to complete...I dunno

Probably very small fees. But you got it confirmed finally, so all good

What use is a signature?
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:19:17 PM

No, it is normal, it can take a long time sometimes

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
Nagato4

Activity: 625

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 04:36:51 PM

I sent some BTC from one exchange to another and there have been 0 confirmations in over 90 minutes now.  Is that anything to worry about?

No, it is normal, it can take a long time sometimes

Especially when you withdraw it from Mt.Gox Tongue

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: