Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:20:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avoid default - CNN.com  (Read 2909 times)
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:39:29 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/16/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Price already falling hard - Was this whole rally built on default fantasies (hint at recent polls in this thread)?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:41:01 PM

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/16/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Price already falling hard - Was this whole rally built on default fantasies (hint at recent polls in this thread)?

Wow, that explains it...

Incredible. (I dont mean I expect the price to crash hard, just that this explains the sudden panic.)
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:42:20 PM

Bear trap  Smiley
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:43:52 PM

Selling because the US isn't going to default Roll Eyes, beartraps aren't getting more obvious then this.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:50:55 PM

USG wouldn't have defaulted anyway. It's something else.
derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:52:48 PM

What is something else? The reason for the rise, or the reason for the drop?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 04:53:14 PM

I told you so. New war in syria 2016.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 04:57:40 PM

Wherever a USG default which wouldn't have happened is being used as reasoning.
derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:01:15 PM

But.. its.. responsible, in part, for the rise... and, this current drop.. no? lol
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:02:41 PM

But.. its.. responsible, in part, for the rise... and, this current drop.. no? lol
... No, because the USG doesn't suddenly default just because the debt ceiling isn't raised. Unless day-traders are totally unfamiliar with the USG, it wouldn't have caused movement one way or the other.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:03:39 PM

It's a combination of the gox situation, asic producers and the way the Chinese media reported on the US Govt shut-down.
derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:04:25 PM

It's a combination of the gox situation, asic producers and the way the Chinese media reported on the US Govt shut-down.

Gox - Ok, thats part of the rise.
ASIC - ?
Chinese media - ?

... No, because the USG doesn't suddenly default just because the debt ceiling isn't raised. Unless day-traders are totally unfamiliar with the USG, it wouldn't have caused movement one way or the other.

So you think the timing of this announcement and the drop in USD/BTC is completely coincidental? I think not..
Chalkbot
Legendary

Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:05:19 PM

Uh, so we are raising the debt ceiling... bitcoin down? Yeah no. Watch out bears.
clock27

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:10:28 PM

probably just normal up and down with the prices like we all have seen many times before with billions of factors figuring into the equation

Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:11:00 PM

no effect on exchange rate here imo..... we all knew there would be no default anyway.

TERA

Activity: 728

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:14:32 PM

Why does everyone panic sell or panic buy whenever the U.S. government does something? I thought the bitcoin rise was about china, investment trusts, and increasing bit coin adoption, and wealth issues all over the globe. I thought bitcoin was worldwide.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:19:31 PM

Gox - Ok, thats part of the rise.
ASIC - ?
Chinese media - ?

ASIC: Producers are in China and they have to maintain a balance of funds to pay Bills, they probably have a mixture of yuan/usd/bitcoin and they sold usd for the other two.
Chinese media: Is genuinely concerned about the strength of the dollar and probably moved a lot of ASIC early adopters to hoard their coins this month, and brought more investors.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:22:20 PM

the ending is funny  Tongue

CoinDiver

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:23:32 PM

Perception.

http://mises.org/daily/3229
BTC:1PEyEKyVZgUvV4moXvCD5rQN21QETGPpLc
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:25:43 PM

Why does everyone panic sell or panic buy whenever the U.S. government does something? I thought the bitcoin rise was about china, investment trusts, and increasing bit coin adoption, and wealth issues all over the globe. I thought bitcoin was worldwide.

The Chinese volume is virtually inflated by the Chinese exchanges' 0% foo on trades policy and massive bot activity therefore. You cannot compare Bitstamp or Gox volume to Chinese exchanges.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

the ending is funny  Tongue

I know I can't really make a convincing bull.  Smiley
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:28:30 PM

Everyone? About 15k coins sold on Gox and a couple 1000 on Bitstamp counts for everyone? The Chinese exchanges have only dropped a few dollars, nothing to really write home about. You know how the saying goes: buy the rumour and sell the news. Wink This is just a temporary pullback.

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:31:03 PM

The Chinese volume is virtually inflated by the Chinese exchanges' 0% foo on trades policy and massive bot activity therefore. You cannot compare Bitstamp or Gox volume to Chinese exchanges.
To be honest, I'm having trouble believing their self-reported volumes in the first place, moreso than emptygox. Think about it, all you have to do to get more customers as an exchange is to get on bitcoincharts etc. and fabricate some volume, soon we will all jerk off about how it's growing and mention it everywhere, acting as their marketing squad.

In any event, they have to earn money somehow to cover their running costs. Any exorbitant withdrawal or deposit fees?
TERA

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:33:34 PM

So I guess when we were discussing the rally we were like "well the chart looks like we're about to break out into another bubble to 500, but if the U.S. government doesn't default, it's off"... right?
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:38:18 PM

So I guess when we were discussing the rally we were like "well the chart looks like we're about to break out into another bubble to 500, but if the U.S. government doesn't default, it's off"... right?

No. Once everybody starts cheering and becoming bullish you know that the market will start to shake things up so people become uncertain again. It's all part of the bigger picture, and if you can't see it, too bad. Tongue

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
TERA

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:42:04 PM

I did see and play a retracement but not to $148 instantly - that seems completely off the chart.
Zakryze

Activity: 308

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 05:42:28 PM

Why do you think it's all panic sells? Maybe some people just wanna cash out a few bitcoins to buy christmas presents or spekulatius cookies.
I bet that there's also some of those old 3$/btc coins around and maybe some people just come back to it and sell since they need moneys, you'll never know.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SNttx1hwtpf8TQEK7ZBojcvQrDmBaz9QPK SFC Addy
derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 05:45:53 PM

Why do you think it's all panic sells? Maybe some people just wanna cash out a few bitcoins to buy christmas presents or spekulatius cookies.
I bet that there's also some of those old 3$/btc coins around and maybe some people just come back to it and sell since they need moneys, you'll never know.

Because people are all going to agree at the same exact minutes that its time to sell their BTC to buy presents  Roll Eyes

You cant be serious.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:14:27 PM

It's not panic sells. It's day traders. Buy the rumor sell the news. No one thought the US would default and then sold with shock and panic at the news! Lol!

Bitcoin markets just starting to behave with patterns, albeit less sophisticated and easier to play than the stock market.
gizmoh
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:26:00 PM

It's not panic sells. It's day traders. Buy the rumor sell the news. No one thought the US would default and then sold with shock and panic at the news! Lol!

Bitcoin markets just starting to behave with patterns, albeit less sophisticated and easier to play than the stock market.

Well resumed. +1

How Ripple Rips you: "The founders of Ripple Labs created 100 billion XRP at Ripple's inception. No more can be created according to the rules of the Ripple protocol. Of the 100 billion created, 20 billion XRP were retained by the creators, seeders, venture capital companies and other founders. The remaining 80 billion were given to Ripple Labs. Ripple Labs intends to distribute and sell 55 of that 80 billion XRP to users and strategic partners. Ripple Labs also had a giveaway of under 200 million XRP (0.002% of all XRP) via World Community Grid that was later discontinued.[29] Ripple Labs will retain the remaining 25 billion"
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:29:20 PM

No, it's day traders people! Gess. Such ignorance on here.
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:35:14 PM

Just FYI, rather than this being an overestimate of the impact of avoiding a default, this might just be a correction, compensating for an overestimate of the probability of a default occurring in the first place.

Habeler876

Activity: 624

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:42:34 PM

Just FYI, rather than this being an overestimate of the impact of avoiding a default, this might just be a correction, compensating for an overestimate of the probability of a default occurring in the first place.
do you really think that was driving the bull run to begin with? i dont. but what do i know?!  Cheesy

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:46:16 PM

do you really think that was driving the bull run to begin with? i dont. but what do i know?!  Cheesy

I don't really know, or particularly care because its still trending up with or without it. Just saying this isn't necessarily a "buy on the dip" moment for day traders because the dip has the potential to be a good ~$5-10 lower.

ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 06:58:38 PM

Bear trap  Smiley

A bear trap baited with US politicians. 

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:06:21 PM

The government shutdown nonsense was just political theater.

The reason for the small correction is simple if you look at a 7-day chart: the price was on a mini-exponential curve and started going up faster-than-exponential, which means it's virtually guaranteed to correct.

Nothing moves in a straight line. If it did, we'd be at mainstream-adoption prices by Christmas.

In sum, the price was already very overbought, so it was looking for any trigger to correct, and this news may have been it. But as an investor this is exactly the kind of thing you have to learn to see through. Anything in overbought territory will correct at the drop of a hat; don't get distracted by the style of hat it happens to be.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2013, 07:17:51 PM

It will be like the Silk Road crash. A bunch of people mistakenly think other people will sell... when not as many people sold as the bears expected, Bitcoin will seem "resilient" and the price will climb back.
TERA

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 07:56:35 PM

I think what happens is day traders and bots panic sell and the large investors come out of the woodwork to accumulate the cheap coins. This leaves the day traders and bots (as a collective) needing to rebuy at a loss, creates an imbalance of force, and drives the price even higher than where it started.
derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 08:28:15 PM

It will be like the Silk Road crash. A bunch of people mistakenly think other people will sell... when not as many people sold as the bears expected, Bitcoin will seem "resilient" and the price will climb back.

Incorrect; the price cannot drop because:

1. Gox is leader
2. Gox fiat isnt able to be withdrawn, which means..
3. Selling can only be in an attempt to buy lower, which means..
4. Price drops can only be short term, and until people who sold panic and buy coins again.

Only way a seller can withdraw is if they are a whale and willing to take a big fee. Small guys are SoL.
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
October 16, 2013, 11:13:08 PM

Debt ceiling reaction up or down is 100% psychological. There are no actual market forces here, unlike say with FX, equities, commodities. Of course, if people believe in it, it's basically true, to a point, as the bottom can fall-out much faster when something is moving on perception alone.

Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 12:11:17 AM

Just now: Senate votes in favor of Dept Ceiling Deal by 81 Yaes, 18 Naes; House votes next (in the next few hours).
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:09:18 AM

Just now: House of Congress vote in progress: Already clear that Deal will be passed!

Prices keep dropping, Bitstamp with massive sell of 1159 BTC to 135$/BTC
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:10:58 AM

Was there ever any doubt?
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:12:38 AM

Just put in big buy order at Bitstamp at $125.02. Lets see if we can get that low Cheesy

derpinheimer
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:31:15 AM

Just put in big buy order at Bitstamp at $125.02. Lets see if we can get that low Cheesy

Why not in front of the bidwall at 125.88?
Liquid

Activity: 826

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 10:27:21 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVzCalrPHZ0

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: