Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:15:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IMF Chief Christine Lagarde Second Blog Post regarding Crypto's  (Read 140 times)
Yaunfitda (OP)

Activity: 2842
Merit: 575

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 01:27:02 AM

As you all know, last month Lagarde's discusses the dark side of crypto of which almost of all us see as an attack on crypto. However on her second official IMF blog post here: https://blogs.imf.org/2018/04/16/an-even-handed-approach-to-crypto-assets/, she seems to be very positive about crypto.

Fast, inexpensive

- Crypto-assets enable fast and inexpensive financial transactions, while offering some of the convenience of cash. Some payment services now make overseas transfers in a matter of hours, not days. If privately issued crypto-assets remain risky and unstable, there may be demand for central banks to provide digital forms of money―an idea we explore in the forthcoming Global Financial Stability Report.

- The underlying technology of crypto-assets—distributed ledger technology, or DLT—could help financial markets function more efficiently. Self-executing and self-enforcing “smart contracts” could eliminate the need for some intermediaries. Already, the Australian Securities Exchange has said it plans to use DLT to manage the clearing and settlement of equity transactions.

- Secure storage of important records is another promising use for DLT. Healthcare companies are studying how to use the technology to maintain confidential medical data while providing access to insurers and other authorized users.

- In developing economies, such advances can help secure property rights, increase market confidence and promote investment. In Ghana, where property ownership is often the subject of disputes, a DLT-based platform called Bitland promises to help solve the problem by securely recording land sales.

Looks like a strong word coming from her. We all know how she can impact the economy of a lot of countries. So I'm sure that with this kind of statement, I wouldn't be surprise if crypto in the next coming days will at least get a good pump. What do you guys think?

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btc_angela

Activity: 2604
Merit: 542

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 09:19:39 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2018, 10:06:44 AM by btc_angela

I agree that she has so much influence because of her position, but I don't know if investors will suddenly pump the market with her statement. She can't really takes side on this one, she is merely pointing out the advantage of crypto which we all are aware of. Let's see how it goes, her statement is like 2 days ago and prior to that we have been seeing some gains so I don't know if her statement have huge impact so far.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
SuperD007

Activity: 294
Merit: 12

Treat People How You Would Like To Be Treated.

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 09:43:36 AM

IMO she is part of the problem not part of the solution.

She is probably only saying positive stuff about crypto now to server her own agenda or the agenda of her handlers.

The IMF are a bunch of skanks. The skankiest skanks of them all. Smiley
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 09:51:55 PM

I agree that she has so much influence because of her position, but I don't know if investors will suddenly pump the market with her statement. She can't really takes side on this one, she is merely pointing out the advantage of crypto which we all are aware of. Let's see how it goes, her statement is like 2 days ago and prior to that we have been seeing some gains so I don't know if her statement have huge impact so far.
It's about crypto, in general. But I think they won't do anything with bitcoin or ethereum, if they want to help the governments, they will develop their own crypto and they will force the countries to use that crypto when it's about an international transaction. So despite of this statement is not against bitcoin directly, it's not supporting it either.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 09:57:23 PM

Looks like a strong word coming from her. We all know how she can impact the economy of a lot of countries. So I'm sure that with this kind of statement, I wouldn't be surprise if crypto in the next coming days will at least get a good pump. What do you guys think?

Market can not be that simple that somebody can make huge impact on the price. Of course pump could happen but I just don't think she is possible of pulling that much money into crypto. It is good to see her however switch her opinion as people might see crypto differently.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
April 18, 2018, 10:42:57 PM

You seem to believe that a positive opinion erases earlier negative opinions. It doesn't work this way!
Crypto market is fearful and if someone influences it negatively at the time of depression it seems to have a much greater impact than the same news during the euphoria,
At the same time good news during rises have a greater positive impact.
Since we are in the bear market now her statements won't nullify themselves. The negativity towards her will prevail and people will remain suspicious. You can even see it in the forum comments under your own post.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
dE_logics

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2018, 01:24:29 AM

As you all know, last month Lagarde's discusses the dark side of crypto of which almost of all us see as an attack on crypto. However on her second official IMF blog post here: https://blogs.imf.org/2018/04/16/an-even-handed-approach-to-crypto-assets/, she seems to be very positive about crypto.

Fast, inexpensive

- Crypto-assets enable fast and inexpensive financial transactions, while offering some of the convenience of cash. Some payment services now make overseas transfers in a matter of hours, not days. If privately issued crypto-assets remain risky and unstable, there may be demand for central banks to provide digital forms of money―an idea we explore in the forthcoming Global Financial Stability Report.

- The underlying technology of crypto-assets—distributed ledger technology, or DLT—could help financial markets function more efficiently. Self-executing and self-enforcing “smart contracts” could eliminate the need for some intermediaries. Already, the Australian Securities Exchange has said it plans to use DLT to manage the clearing and settlement of equity transactions.

- Secure storage of important records is another promising use for DLT. Healthcare companies are studying how to use the technology to maintain confidential medical data while providing access to insurers and other authorized users.

- In developing economies, such advances can help secure property rights, increase market confidence and promote investment. In Ghana, where property ownership is often the subject of disputes, a DLT-based platform called Bitland promises to help solve the problem by securely recording land sales.

The media will report "IMF Chief Craps on Cryptocurrencies," but her saying anything positive about it won't see the light of day in the mainstream financial media.

▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████████▄▄
▄██████████▄▄▄    ▀▀▀███████▄
▄██████████████████▄▄▄   ▀▀█████▄
████████████████████████▌  ▄███████
██████████████▀▀    ▀▀██▀ ▄███▀ ▀████
███████████▀▀  ▄▄ ▄▄     ▄█████▄  ▀████
███████████  ▄▄ ▀█████▄ ▄█▀  █████  ▀████
▄██████████   ▀████▀  ▀███     █████  ▀███▄
██████████▌  ▄████▄  ▄█▀▀██▄   ▐█████  ████
██████████   ▀▀ ▀████▀    ██    ██████ ████
██████████▌      ▄███▄  ▄██▄   ▐██████H████
▀██████████▄   ▄█▀  ▀████▀▀▀   ███████████▀
██████████▀ ▄█▀    ██▀▀██   ▄████████████
███████▀ ▄███▄           ▄█████████████
█████▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
▀█████████████████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████████████▀▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

█▀▀▀▄▄▄██▄
             █     ▀██▀
            █
         ▄▄▄█▄▄▄
 ████▄▄███████████▄▄████
▐██████▀▀███████▀▀██████▌
 ▀████    █████    ████▀
  ████▄  ▄█████▄  ▄████
  ▀███████████████████▀
   ▀████▄▀█████▀▄████▀
     ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄████████
          █████████
          █████
          █████
      █████████████
      █████████████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████
          █████

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
KyleSpades

Activity: 85
Merit: 5

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 02:36:07 AM

I know most of you have pessimist opinions about her previous statements (as do I), but I believe this particular topic has special importance for ETH's popularity. It almost seems like a direct "propaganda" of sorts...

I've actually heard that Santander (again, that Ripple mfckr) has been reportedly investing in smart contracts to save costs and etc.:

Santander Bank’s innovation fund, Santander Innoventures, expects blockchain technology to lead to $15 – $20 billion in annual savings in infrastructure costs by 2022.6
Source: https://blockchainapac.fintecnet.com/uploads/2/4/3/8/24384857/smart_contracts.pdf

Not sure if this data relates to Ripple's tech or some other ETH related stuff, but all of these indicators might show extra motivation on ETH markets in the near future (specially if more banks other than Santander start making some smart moves).

Be it for better or for worse, statements such as this one OP has brought up are important news nonetheless.

▬▬▬ I'm part of a movement to help make the forums a better place and free it of spam:▬▬▬
█ █  http://bit.ly/SigFreeNew  █ █
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
April 19, 2018, 01:51:59 PM

If she had discussed the dark side if bitcoin its because it is the truth and a part of bitcoin history. Lagarde is unbiased when it comes to discussing cryptocurrency she will tackle both positive and negative truths about this reality. But in the end its good that everything went well and eventually his speech is actually and advantage to bitcoin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: