Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:39:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripple.com - How does consensus work?  (Read 2199 times)
nikb

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2013, 09:09:21 PM

Any newbies understand how consensus works on Ripple.com?

The answer contains just 3 words:

Ripple. Is. Centralized.

I don't think that the word "centralized" means what you think it means.

Fiat centralized. Paypal centralized. Ripple centralized. Do I get the word "centralized" correctly enough?

No - try harder. The facts are that Ripple is a distributed payment network. With that established, what, specifically, about it is centralized in your opinion?
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 06:39:55 AM

No - try harder. The facts are that Ripple is a distributed payment network. With that established, what, specifically, about it is centralized in your opinion?

Ah, I got where ur logic failed. U think that distributed == decentralized. Think again.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 11:31:04 AM

Distributed and open to any newcomers.

You cannot set up your own node in Paypal's distributed network, you can set up one in Ripple's. You also might be able to get a banking license to play with the rich kids in fiat banking, though there is a significantly higher hurdle to jump.

Just like anyone in Bitcoin needs to use the Satoshi chain though, everyone in Ripple needs to use the OpenCoin/RippleLabs chain, maybe that's what you mean by "centralized"? With that logic though, Bitcoin would also be centralized, as is every currency around here, as they are all build on global consensus that has to start at some universally agreed point ("genesis block").

This is still just speculation on what you could mean with "centralized" - so please stop the "oh come on people - it's sooo obvious" talk and state some facts. I really don't like these ways of arguing since it was the same that people supporting pirateat40 were employing ("it is completely clear how he legitimately makes his money, just look at the hints all over the forum and read between the lines, duh! Just think for yourself!").

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
nikb

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 11:49:49 AM

Ah, I got where ur logic failed.

You do, do you? That's cool. Let's see what you "got", shall we?

U think that distributed == decentralized. Think again.

Oops... I already see a small problem here and I'm not referring to the silly use of the letter "u" as a substitute for the pronoun "you". No, the problem is that I never made the claim that "distributed == decentralized", nor do I believe that distributed implies decentralized. Such a belief would just be completely silly.

So with that established, I will reiterate: I fail to see what's "centralized" about Ripple. Can you please tell me what you mean by "centralized" and what, specifically, is centralized about Ripple in your opinion?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Skinnkavaj

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

English Motherfucker do you speak it ?

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 11:51:17 AM
Last edit: October 13, 2013, 05:03:24 PM by Skinnkavaj

Ah, I got where ur logic failed.

You do, do you? That's cool. Let's see what you "got", shall we?

U think that distributed == decentralized. Think again.

Oops... I already see a small problem here and I'm not referring to the silly use of the letter "u" as a substitute for the pronoun "you". No, the problem is that I never made the claim that "distributed == decentralized", nor do I believe that distributed implies decentralized. Such a belief would just be completely silly.

So with that established, I will reiterate: I fail to see what's "centralized" about Ripple. Can you please tell me what you mean by "centralized" and what, specifically, is centralized about Ripple in your opinion?

Inquiring minds want to know.
ripple shill! you know ripple is centralized..  who owns 100 million xrp.

EDIT: This post was done by a hacker that took control over my account. I had not changed my password on bitcointalk and I had an easy one. I have no regained control over the account. Ignore this post.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 13, 2013, 12:03:57 PM

Oops... I already see a small problem here and I'm not referring to the silly use of the letter "u" as a substitute for the pronoun "you".

Heh, this statement shows I shouldn't waste my time on u.
nikb

View Profile WWW
October 13, 2013, 08:39:52 PM

Oops... I already see a small problem here and I'm not referring to the silly use of the letter "u" as a substitute for the pronoun "you".

Heh, this statement shows I shouldn't waste my time on u.

Oh come on... you can't even handle a bit of levity? Or are you just trying to avoid explaining what you mean by "centralized" and what, specifically, is centralized about Ripple in your opinion?
Blockchainer12345

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 04:08:27 PM

Hello,

I have got question regarding the ripple consensus algorithm.
When watching the video https://vimeo.com/64405422 I didn't understand one point.
1) In a consensus round, when moving from stage 1 (50% treshhold) to stage 2 (60% treshhold), do I delete all votes of the proposals of stage 1 and consider only new proposals or do I keep the stage 1 vots in stage 2?

Example:
stage 1
My candidate set is [A,B,C,D]
Server 1 proposal [A,B,C,-]
Server 2 proposal [-,B,C,D]

"-" missing transaction in this proposal.

votes (including my candidate set):
A:2,
B:3,
C:2,
D:2

stage 2 I received new proposals from server 1 and 2
new proposal Server 1 [-,B,C-]
new proposal Server 2 [-,B,C,D]

What would be the votes now that go into the % calculation?

A:2 or A:1
B:3 or B:4 count it double?
C:3 or C:4
D:2 or D:3

I am appreciating every help I can get.
Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Neo.Prometheus

Activity: 238
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:00:55 PM

Ripple is wolf in sheep's clothing. XRP is not a cryptocurrency. It is like a digital centralized asset. It is manipulated by the bankers which has the banking system on it, which is the counter part of the decentralized cryptocurrency.
raahi

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 17, 2018, 01:47:05 PM

If you want to explore your options on buying ripple then I suggest that you go to the ripple website , there under the buy ripple section you may get a list of all possible places or exchange platforms to buy the cryptocurrency, many times they update wallets so buying or selling of ripple it is good to have multiple options.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: