Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:01:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Community Blacklisting -- Establishing the Infection to Govern Bitcoin  (Read 6831 times)
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 01:10:25 PM

I agree with you about the Foundation, especially in the context your "takeover from within" thought experiment. The Foundation plays to the outside powers that be as The Adults In The Room.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mccoyspace

Activity: 237
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2013, 01:22:10 PM

And 115% PPS! Did that really happen? I wasn't around then. Given that history your story is even more plausible.

In the general case, your story is about the take over by a small group of larger revolutionary movements. There are many historical examples: jacobins during the French Revolution , Lenin's Vanguardism during the Russian Revolution.
Maybe your example could be structured more as a leveraged buy out, (or a leveraged 'opt-in')
aceking

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:28:49 PM

" Community Blacklisting -- Establishing the Infection to Govern Bitcoin "

this will destroy bitcoin eventually , you don't need to be a genius to understand it.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 01:29:04 PM

And 115% PPS! Did that really happen? I wasn't around then. Given that history your story is even more plausible.

In the general case, your story is about the take over by a small group of larger revolutionary movements. There are many historical examples: jacobins during the French Revolution , Lenin's Vanguardism during the Russian Revolution.
Maybe your example could be structured more as a leveraged buy out, (or a leveraged 'opt-in')
Yes, it started decreasing in rates toward the end, IIRC - it did sometimes touch 150% PPS, but it varied based on how much hashpower was being leased by others and at what rate (assuming all this leasing stuff actually happened and Pirate wasn't laundering, or just being a weirdo cokehead).

since i joined i have gotten around 140% pps rates (including non leased work)

the last couple of days have been great and i have been getting a solid 0.00004 pps
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:00:13 PM

The attack only works if the attacker has access to an infinite supply of bitcoins (or perhaps an infinite supply of dollars to buy bitcoins).

If the attacker has finite funding, they won't be able to stop investors from funding competing cartels which undercut their prices.
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:24:23 PM

The attack only works if the attacker has access to an infinite supply of bitcoins (or perhaps an infinite supply of dollars to buy bitcoins).

If the attacker has finite funding, they won't be able to stop investors from funding competing cartels which undercut their prices.
Interesting. The feather fork works both ways, though it'd probably still be very, very expensive to try competing. I mean - once you establish 90%+ of total hashrate and are paying, say, 150% PPS and still making a profit, I'm not sure there's any way to compete other than by trying to appeal to users' sense of morality (in which case, they'd just use p2pool - though by force-orphaning their blocks, I don't think there'd be many willing to send that much BTC into a black hole). If Satosh mining falls below a certain threshold (maybe 80% of total hashrate), the whole thing starts falling apart, unless Satosh makes PPS payments to pools to maintain their support and has reserve funds to boost incentive.

Actually... that'd be interesting... meta-pools. So as far as ranks go... miners=barons, pool ops = dukes, meta-pool ops = kings. Then you just need an emperor. Peasants would be all users without "land" (hashpower), who aren't entitled to vote.

I wonder if there's a parallel universe where governments run pools (private pools would be criminalized), and collect taxes in the form of mining fees. When they go to war, an equivalent to the US Army's Cyber Command removes foreign citizens, governments, and corporations from the USG's whitelist. If BTC were the global currency, this would near-immediately isolate the country economically, on top of whatever "terrorists" the world governments already prevent from using BTC.

The IMF would set global inflation rates by forking BTC. Since they have all "legal" users' compliance, they could increase or decrease supply at will. Maybe a true world government isn't far off. Ooo - my imagination's going, I think I'm ready to start outlining that dystopian book series, now.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 05:36:49 PM

Interesting. The feather fork works both ways, though it'd probably still be very, very expensive to try competing. I mean - once you establish 90%+ of total hashrate and are paying, say, 150% PPS and still making a profit, I'm not sure there's any way to compete other than by trying to appeal to users' sense of morality (in which case, they'd just use p2pool - though by force-orphaning their blocks, I don't think there'd be many willing to send that much BTC into a black hole). If Satosh mining falls below a certain threshold (maybe 80% of total hashrate), the whole thing starts falling apart, unless Satosh makes PPS payments to pools to maintain their support and has reserve funds to boost incentive.
Satoshi can only pay 150% PPS if he's earning enough via extortions, or if he draws down on his investors's funds.

Assume the federal reserve isn't printing new dollars at will specifically for Satoshi to provide him with an infinite BTC spigot.

This means his scheme must remain profitable via extorting more income from businesses than he needs to pay out the pools, or else he'll eventually run out of investor money to make his payouts.

His payouts to pools have to be high enough that they compensate for the lost revenue the pools will be experience by processing fewer transactions.

This scheme would drastically reduce the number of transactions that are allowed to happen, so Satoshi better have really deep pockets.

All it takes is one competitor willing to operate at lower margins (i.e, pay out 151% PPS while charging merchants slightly less) to break Satoshi. Likewise, the same thing can happen to new-Satoshi.

On the other hand, if an attacker with an infinite amount of money is willing to fund an attack on Bitcoin, could we really do anything about it anyway regardless of what method they use?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: