Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:36:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Something Awful forums discuss bitcoin & SquareWear  (Read 6200 times)
Gabriel Beal (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Fezzik, tear his arms off.

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 01:00:20 AM

I noticed SquareWear.biz was getting a few hundred more hits than normal today.  It turns out someone posted a link on the Something Awful forums.  It was fun to read non-bitcoiners discussing us and our humor.  For the most part, they make fun of bitcoin and SquareWear's shirts (Gasp!), but we have some defenders too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=352

I was going to jump in the conversation, but I never knew you had to pay money to register on SomethingAwful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lacedwithkerosene

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 01:03:17 AM

lol I read that thread all the time. Perhaps some of them might want one of the [cough blatant ad cough cough] forthcoming bitcoin mining accidents shirts.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 01:59:33 AM

That toaster story is just...  Lips sealed

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Gabriel Beal (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 02:30:26 AM

That toaster story is just...  Lips sealed
For the record, I've never read that story.  The toaster shirt came about because we were going to do a RILF shirt (Robot I'd like to...) with a image of a Johnny Five-style robot with lipstick on.  We started talking about Battlestar Galactica and the arguing over whether "Number Six" was a RILF (arguing over the technical definition of "robot").  Someone referred to her as a "toaster", as is common in the show, and thus Tilf was born.

I have no idea if the above will be of any interest to anyone. Smiley

Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:44:16 AM

they're kind of cute...
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:29:09 AM

Someone should ask if they'll accept BTC for account registration.  Wink
Anonymous

July 24, 2011, 04:41:42 AM

Oh, they would accept and then ban you after your first post.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 04:53:47 AM

My "I remember when bitcoin only cost a nickel" t-shirt is one of my favorite shirts.
geek-trader

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 04:56:28 AM

My "I remember when bitcoin only cost a nickel" t-shirt is one of my favorite shirts.

That is an awesome shirt.  I can't wear it tho, I didn't find out about BTC until it was $17/    Huh

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Chris Acheson

Activity: 266
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:04:45 AM

Also, I'm really glad they're finally discussing something other than objectivism.  So god damn boring.
Astrohacker

Activity: 156
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 05:15:26 AM

That is an awesome shirt.  I can't wear it tho, I didn't find out about BTC until it was $17/    Huh

I heard about bitcoins when they were $6. I bought it anyway.
Gabriel Beal (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 05:19:18 AM

Yeah, I think the joke's humor isn't contingent on it being an accurate statement from the wearer.  Although, we did debate a lot whether or not to make the old man say "a nickel" or "a dollar".

geek-trader

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 05:56:50 AM

Yeah, I think the joke's humor isn't contingent on it being an accurate statement from the wearer.  Although, we did debate a lot whether or not to make the old man say "a nickel" or "a dollar".

All right.  I took that as a go-ahead to buy it.  But then, blue only? really?  Black, please.

Make 1 deposit and earn BTC for life! http://bitcoinpyramid.com/r/345
Play my FREE HTML5 games at: http://magigames.org  BTC donations accepted.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 08:02:45 AM
Last edit: July 25, 2011, 12:48:03 AM by Mousepotato

I just got my shirts in the mail (thanks Gabriel!) and they're AWESOME!!!  Very high quality heavy cotton construction and they feel comfy. If anybody is on the fence about picking up a shirt or three from SquareWear, I'd say DO EET!  Not only will you get a pretty kickass shirt, you'll also help stimulate the Bitcoin economy.

Wish I actually had a 6990 FML

Mousepotato
JeffK

Activity: 350

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 10:13:32 AM

I noticed SquareWear.biz was getting a few hundred more hits than normal today.  It turns out someone posted a link on the Something Awful forums.  It was fun to read non-bitcoiners discussing us and our humor.  For the most part, they make fun of bitcoin and SquareWear's shirts (Gasp!), but we have some defenders too. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413928&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=352

I was going to jump in the conversation, but I never knew you had to pay money to register on SomethingAwful.

T-shirts like squarewear's aren't really humorous if you have to go into a 6 minute, Asperger's-fueled diatribe to explain the joke to someone you meet in meatspace, and then still have less than a 1% chance of getting it.

The T-shirt would only be useful if you ran into another Bitcoin fan, and even then you are not so much likely to get a compliment on how funny your shirt is as your odds of getting a slight grin from the fellow Bitcoin fan before you both go back to staring at your feet and shuffle past each other.

By the way, this doesn't just go for Bitcoins, it goes for all niche and subjective geek/techie/meme-based T-shirts that are more likely to get you teased than laid.

Bitcoin T-shirts are just especially egregrious, since it's like multiple layers of awful nerdiness, its the kind of stuff that even your friend whose every discussion is basically from an engadget RSS feed would be embarrassed to be overheard talking about.

If someone really wanted to start doing this community huge favors, they should start a store that sells nice polo shirts and khaki pants without Bitcoin logos, and maybe some cologne or something.
JeffK

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 10:21:35 AM

Oh, they would accept and then ban you after your first post.

If I wasn't so sure that you would ignore the rules and get a ban within 48 hours before lurking or attempting to enjoy Something Awful, I would be willing to pony up TEN FIAT DOLLARS to sponsor you since there is a good chance you could get much more out of it than you would from the Bitcoin forums.
Djao

Activity: 208

Risk-hedging platform for cryptocurrency investors

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 10:36:51 AM

By the way, this doesn't just go for Bitcoins, it goes for all niche and subjective geek/techie/meme-based T-shirts that are more likely to get you teased than laid.

Thanks, made my day  Cheesy

Mousepotato, is that you wearing these shirts?

And most of these shirts really ain't funny, imho.

JeffK

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:16:10 AM

I felt kind of bad that I didn't give you anything but negative criticism, so here are some new t-shirt ideas, for free!

Comments, criticisms, areas that could use improvement would be helpful!
JeffK

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:27:49 AM

Feel free to use as many or as few as you want

JeffK

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 11:43:54 AM

lol I read that thread all the time. Perhaps some of them might want one of the [cough blatant ad cough cough] forthcoming bitcoin mining accidents shirts.

I'd consider buying an 'accidents' tshirt if you base one off this:

We have received a report from an anonymous bitcoin miner who had himself a little accident overnight. The miner, who we’ll nickname Tinkles, aka ‘The Real Bitcoin Faucet’, suffers from occasional adult urinary incontinence (he sometimes leaks piss), a condition exacerbated by consumption of large amounts of alcohol.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: