Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:05:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmain Antminer X3 -- 220KH+ Cryponight - 550W  (Read 18840 times)
squallw

Activity: 504
Merit: 122

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:20:35 PM

CN coins need a hard fork to change the algo or the CN algo will gonna die for gpu mining.
I agree that bitmain wants to compromize the main feature of crypto currencies by centralizing the power.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ventrader01

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:21:19 PM

Hopefully after Monero fork to new algo the ASICs will be out of the game and mining Monero with GPU will be more profitable, which in turn will make all others GPU mining coins more profitable as the new algo XMR will attrack a bunch of GPU hashing power.  Win/Win for everybody (exept Bitmain and the X3 buyers).
legendster

Activity: 1778
Merit: 764

www.V.systems

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 06:24:05 PM

CN coins need a hard fork to change the algo or the CN algo will gonna die for gpu mining.
I agree that bitmain wants to compromize the main feature of crypto currencies by centralizing the power.

Not sure if they are doing it intentionally, but given their position; I think its a matter of inevitability. When you come up with an invention, you'd be stupid to not use it yourself. I'd say much of Bitmain's profit comes from mining and not actually selling their rigs. But that's a hypothesis. Otherwise, they'd end up like KNC or Butterfly Labs.

██████████        ████████████
     ██████████        ██████████
       ██████████        ████████
         ██████████        ██████
           ██████████        ████
             ██████████        ██
               ██████████
                 ██████████
                   ████████
                     ██████
                       ████
                        ██
|
     ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀                ▄▀█             ▄▀                ▄▀█
 ██████████    █             ██████████    █
 █                █                   █                █    █
 █                █     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █    █
 █                █  ▄▀             █                █  ▄▀
 ██████████▀                 ██████████▀
          █                                    █
          █                                    █
     ▄▀ █  ▀▀▀▀█                   ▄▀ █ ▀▀▀▀▀▀█
 ▄▀             ▄▀█               ▄▀               ▄▀ █
 █████████   █               ██████████    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █   █               █                █    █
 █              █  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  █                █  ▄▀
 █████████▀                  ██████████▀

Blockchain
Database
                             ▄▄▄
                         ▄▄▀  ▀▄▄
        ▄           ▄▄▀  ▄▀▄  ▀▄▄
      █▄█   █████████████████    █
        █     █                              █ ▄▀ ▌
        █     █        ▄    █   ▄         █▀ ▄▌
       ██    █      ▀▄   █    ▄▀       █▀█
       ▌ ▌   █            █                █  █
       ▌ ▌   █                              █  █
       ██    ███████████████████
                     ▀▀▄  ▀▄▀  ▄▀▀
                         ▀▀▄  ▄▀▀
                             ▀▀▀
Dev friendly
SDK Platform
                             ▄▄▄▄
                         ▄▄█    █▄▄
                     ▄▄█            █▄▄
                 ▄▄█       ▄▄▄       █▄▄
                 █       ▄▀      ▀▄       █
               █▀     █      █      █     ▀█
               ▀▀█  █   ▄█▀█▄   █  █▀▀
               █▀▀   █  ▀███▀  █   ▀▀█
               ▀▀█     █    █    █     █▀▀
                   ▀▀█   █  █  █   █▀▀
                       ▀████████▀
                           █▄▄▄▄█
                 █        █▄▄▄▄█      █
             ▄▀ █▄                   ▄█  ▀▄
            █   █▀▄         ▀      ▄▀█    █
           █   █  █  ▌      ▀   ▐  █  █    █
           █   █▄▀▄▌      ▀   ▐▄▀▄█    █
           █       █          ▀        █       █
        █▀▀▀▀▀▀█                █▀▀▀▀▀▀█
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
User-friendly
Token Creation
|
BroganBloodstone

Activity: 322
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:09:33 PM

Not sure if they are doing it intentionally, but given their position; I think its a matter of inevitability. When you come up with an invention, you'd be stupid to not use it yourself. I'd say much of Bitmain's profit comes from mining and not actually selling their rigs. But that's a hypothesis. Otherwise, they'd end up like KNC or Butterfly Labs.

In my opinion you are right. If no one knows about the release of a new ASIC they can mine away crazy amounts without anyone being any wiser. As soon as they mention they are going to sell it, devs will try and fork. I think they had these some time ago but now they know that a new fork is coming they are trying to sell them.

It will be interesting to see if how much hashpower will drop from monero and other popular coins like electroneum once they fork Smiley
SubutaiKHAN

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:29:44 PM

Pretty obvious they have been "testing" them for a while now too.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:33:46 PM

I just built some rigs and this crap gets announced Cheesy arrgghh...rumors were indeed true. Hope eth forks.

ETH is not a cn coin.
greyday

Activity: 434
Merit: 52

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:36:24 PM

It's an even bigger nail in the coffin of CPU mining, since cn is one of the only profitable algos left there.

But either way, yes. If the ASICs can keep up with forks, then they will own the algo. But there is also the benefit of a saturated network, the available hash power means that a coin vying for the POS market (like etn) may benefit from the support of ASICs, at least for a while, so they may not WANT to fork (xmr will, of course).
Kahooli

Activity: 58

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:20:00 PM

No one should consider 2MB of ram for PoW to be asic resistant at all these days.
Ultrascale+ FPGAs have enough internal memory to make this a joke. Plus on chip HBM2

Cryptonight PoW needs to increase the memory depth.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:43:48 PM

I just built some rigs and this crap gets announced Cheesy arrgghh...rumors were indeed true. Hope eth forks.

ETH is not a cn coin.

They probably meant ETN (Electronium) which is the second-highest network hashrate CN coin - and like Monero they have announced they will be changing their algorithm and hard forking soon to implement the change.

These devices are no coffin nail in CPU mining, they're going to be expensive paperweights very soon now.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:45:19 PM

It's an even bigger nail in the coffin of CPU mining, since cn is one of the only profitable algos left there.

But either way, yes. If the ASICs can keep up with forks

They won't.
It takes MONTHS to redesign an ASIC, get it validated, then get it into a production que.

They might TRY to do so once or twice, but I bet they fail and give up very quickly if they DO try that.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Marvell2

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:46:56 PM

In my opinion you are right. If no one knows about the release of a new ASIC they can mine away crazy amounts without anyone being any wiser. As soon as they mention they are going to sell it, devs will try and fork. I think they had these some time ago but now they know that a new fork is coming they are trying to sell them.

It will be interesting to see if how much hashpower will drop from monero and other popular coins like electroneum once they fork Smiley
knc was mining with much of thier equipment , remeber the dator halls
not.you
Legendary

Activity: 1726
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:47:53 PM
Merited by suchmoon (1)

Looks like a couple CN coins have already implemented the monero fork changes.  There may be nothing to mine with these when they arrive at people's doors.

You know this also has me thinking, if ETH or ZEC announced an imminent algorithm change hardfork, would we suddenly see some more previously unknown soon-to-be-worthless asics hit the market?
ZacL

Activity: 61

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:18:27 PM

Absolutley my opinion is that 100% this is what has been going on. All CN coins should sporadically change algo's to battle against this then theyll leave us alone.
drawingthemoon

Activity: 135
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:38:27 PM

I think it is good. The miner will push the prices for the cryptonight coins up. the difficilty will increase extremly. If you mined 300 etn per day you will mine only 3-5 in a few weeks. the price will go up. hold your mined coins and smile all day Smiley

Am I spamming? Report me!
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:40:39 PM

China Mining Co. Bitmain Shows Higher 2017 Profits Than US GPU Giant Nvidia, Report Finds
https://cointelegraph.com/news/china-mining-co-bitmain-shows-higher-2017-profits-than-us-gpu-giant-nvidia-report-finds

Big markup = big profits. Would probably be < $100/day by delivery. This has to be the riskiest ASIC offering to date. Shall we flip a coin before ordering?

This is going to make some AMD cards more affordable tho. Glad we bought Nvidia only.

Guess you haven't been paying attention... There will be nothing to mine with these CN ASICs. Monero is switch algo, along with other CN coins. They'll be completely useless.

Yes, you're right. And if that happens the biggest problem for those who buy it is how to recover their loss as they can't make any refund even a single cent of their $11999.

There are financial risks associated with mining cryptocurrencies. These risks can be related to changes in exchange rate of the cryptocurrency or to changes in the algorithm that is used to mine the cryptocurrency. Please deliberate well before making a purchase because we will not accept any requests for refund for orders of this batch.

shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:42:20 PM

Pinidea have got a cn miner now too, 27kh at 350w ~4.5k. Who's next? Ibelink? This is x11 all over again, but possibly worse.

Tekno2020

Activity: 262
Merit: 11

<<<-----( )----->>>

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:45:35 PM

But either way, yes. If the ASICs can keep up with forks

They won't.
It takes MONTHS to redesign an ASIC, get it validated, then get it into a production que.

They might TRY to do so once or twice, but I bet they fail and give up very quickly if they DO try that.

it will be interesting to see the first alt coin to hardfork and invalidate asics.  either way the asic manufacture will have made their money.  of course the ones left holding the bag will be all the buyers of bricked miners.   that kind of move may be a deterrent to bitmain and other manufacturers who have little regard for the ecosystems that they enter.  it may force the manufactures to be more participant in the various communities as opposed to invaders.

~The Annointed One~ 
btc: 31pDmi6PDdHFUT51MTzJNYacxYMZp2bi58
ltc: MGnitxNo2qZNgb2biahDguxMZuCbGPQQ84
Mark Baum

Activity: 51
Merit: 5

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:49:05 PM

I think it is good. The miner will push the prices for the cryptonight coins up. the difficilty will increase extremly. If you mined 300 etn per day you will mine only 3-5 in a few weeks. the price will go up. hold your mined coins and smile all day Smiley

I don't know why people operate under this misconception. Yes it has happened a couple of times, but, that was when coins were in a bull market already. Logically, and it happened with SIA, the faster miners are reaping rewards, the more supply is driven to the market. That drives prices "down" not "up". Especially when  said "miners" are trying to recoup huge hardware costs.
robrev

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 09:50:49 PM

There are 0 reasons for algorithms not changing.

I believe most CryptoNight active dev team coins will change their algo.

Monero announced they would and so did Graft
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:15:36 PM

Coins will adapt, I doubt bitmain is going to have a great success with this one...or maybe they will but not the buyers.  Its hard to justify the price, but it seems bitmain prices its ASICS at least initally at around 60 days ROI without electric.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 »
  Print  

Jump to: