Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:44:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: KNC Jupiter Unboxing & Setup Video  (Read 6717 times)
joae1975 (OP)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:38:49 PM
Last edit: October 19, 2013, 05:15:20 PM by joae1975

Donate bitcoin if you like and/or it helped.

12B3uk3wbUS2rG12h1NMZbBuLqUpPyBE3Z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFjNUb1AbQ8

1PewuG8KZJUPK3CtvAkAs1Uw42rQgUv5Jk
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Seccour
Legendary

Activity: 1619
Merit: 1004

Bitcoiner, Crypto-anarchist and Cypherpunk.

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 02:54:36 PM

Where did you buy your Power supply ?

SlyFoxy12

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:23:11 PM

Guessing you couldn't tell me how noisy it is from a foot away, in decibels?
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 17, 2013, 03:42:45 PM

Newegg, and it's really quiet.  It puts out some heat though.  Good thing winter is coming.

crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 04:48:22 PM

You've got a jupiter and you're begging for donations?

+1

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 04:20:37 AM

That's funny right there.

edit: And a massive donation QR code covering most of the video too, Awesome.

joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 06:32:03 AM

All I'm asking is that if I helped you get your Jupiter set up quickly, maybe it's worth something to you.  I'm not asking the general public for donations.  It's implied towards knc miners.  Maybe I should specify.

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 06:38:59 AM

I have to say the video did help me. My mercury came reasonably banged up. Side of the box was ripped plus the fan on the Heatsink had fallen off.

Only thing it would of been nice to know is that to open the case you need a torx 20 screwdriver, had to go out and get one right away.

I've also had issues with firmware as well. Had to go from 0.97 back to 0.95 as it caused me to only mine at 2Gh/s. Haven't done any higher than 100Gh/s so far.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:07:51 AM

Yeah I've run into a lot of problems too. You can PM me and maybe I can help you, Do you have a lot of hardware errors? If you do then there's no helping. Hardware errors mean hardware errors.  You sort of have to play with the firmwares to figure out which one's best for you. I like the .95 on my 1st Jupiter and I use .97 on my 2nd.  My 1st, in the vid, is golden.  2nd has 12 HW errors.  I've read almost every thread in the knc forum for help.  Seems like if you have a bad board, you gotta send it back.  F'ing sucks!  I'd call them if I were you.  My 1st jup gets ~540 on pool, 2nd jup, gets ~440.  Yeah, it sucks, but it's not bad enough to lose hafibg time to send it back.

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 12:26:22 PM

No, no hardware errors as such but with the 0.97 firmware I was receiving a pure wall of:

[2013-10-25 19:33:12] KnC: accepted by FPGA 3 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:12] KnC: accepted by FPGA 5 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:12] KnC: accepted by FPGA 2 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:12] KnC: accepted by FPGA 3 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 4 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 5 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 2 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 1 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 5 works, but only 0 submitted
 [2013-10-25 19:33:13] KnC: accepted by FPGA 4 works, but only 0 submitted

From a quick google search it seems to be common side effect of upgrading to the 0.97 firmware, I'm leaving it running for a bit with 0.95 now. It's been running between the margins of 80Gh/s and 100Gh/s. Noise is starting to bug me though, I'm thinking I might purchase a fan controller and hook up the two front fans to is as they seem unnecessary on the Mercury, the core is only running at most at 45 degrees, i doubt they're doing anything but sucking up a bit more electricity.

joae1975 what mining pool are you running with?
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 05:16:07 PM

Btcguild

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 08:44:09 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2013, 09:02:00 PM by SlyFoxy12

And things just go from ok to worse for me, tried to go from 0.95 to 0.96, now it seems to now not want to work at all, just happily sitting at 0Gh/s, just great. It feels like as hardware goes they made a pretty good piece of kit but as the software goes it's dodgy as fuck and who ever did the work on most of this should be shot, like I don't even get why they've made it so you must clear your browser cache between firmware upgrades, it seems pretty diabolical as a starting point.

====================================

Ok, 5 minutes afterwards (I noticed the red LED was constantly on and the green off) I managed to get it back again, still under 0.95 firmware though, all I had to do was apply the EnableCores firmware from the support page and it got it back online, in case any comes across it https://www.kncminer.com/pages/support

Looks like any of those performance enhancements of 0.96, 0.96.1 or 0.97 are not going to be achievable for me, which is annoying cause I could really do with that 50% boost
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 08:59:25 PM

And things just go from ok to worse for me, tried to go from 0.95 to 0.96, now it seems to now not want to work at all, just happily sitting at 0Gh/s, just great. It feels like as hardware goes they made a pretty good piece of kit but as the software goes it's dodgy as fuck and who ever did the work on most of this should be shot, like I don't even get why they've made it so you must clear your browser cache between firmware upgrades, it seems pretty diabolical as a starting point.
clear your browser's cache.  What does the pool say you're getting?  That's what really counts.

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 09:03:38 PM

clear your browser's cache.  What does the pool say you're getting?  That's what really counts.

I'm doing most my diagnostics over SSH so it's easy to tell when it's not work CGMiner was directly doing nothing, in this case it was because there were no cores to send work to.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2013, 11:29:44 PM

I'm doing most my diagnostics over SSH so it's easy to tell when it's not work CGMiner was directly doing nothing, in this case it was because there were no cores to send work to.
Oh, you already mentioned you're clearing the cache, sorry.

Yeah, they better come correct next time.  They never consulted the cgminer devs.  0.95 is pushing 560 for me showing 0.8% HW errors on the Jupiter in the video.  I got lucky there.  My 2nd Jupiter shows 530 with 12% HW errors.  I'm running it on .97.

I stacked them on top of each other just to get them out of the way for a minute and my good Jupiter actually improved.  I think they do better the hotter they get.  My temps are up on both since I did that.  The good one is on the bottom.  I'm going to switch them to see if it makes any difference.  I read somewhere some guy was blowing a hot hair dryer inside and it seemed to help.  That's a little extreme though.

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:52:18 AM

Yeah, they better come correct next time.  They never consulted the cgminer devs.  0.95 is pushing 560 for me showing 0.8% HW errors on the Jupiter in the video.  I got lucky there.  My 2nd Jupiter shows 530 with 12% HW errors.  I'm running it on .97.

I stacked them on top of each other just to get them out of the way for a minute and my good Jupiter actually improved.  I think they do better the hotter they get.  My temps are up on both since I did that.  The good one is on the bottom.  I'm going to switch them to see if it makes any difference.  I read somewhere some guy was blowing a hot hair dryer inside and it seemed to help.  That's a little extreme though.

I think you're right that the system requires the cores to be a bit more toastie to get the most problem is the mercury with one core doesn't make much heat it's the opposite it makes three room colder with the front fans. The front fans seems unessecary as they're constantly at 100%, same with the heatsink fan as well.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 02:12:05 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2013, 07:25:59 PM by joae1975

clear your browser's cache.  What does the pool say you're getting?  That's what really counts.

Yeah, they better come correct next time.  They never consulted the cgminer devs.  0.95 is pushing 560 for me showing 0.8% HW errors on the Jupiter in the video.  I got lucky there.  My 2nd Jupiter shows 530 with 12% HW errors.  I'm running it on .97.

I stacked them on top of each other just to get them out of the way for a minute and my good Jupiter actually improved.  I think they do better the hotter they get.  My temps are up on both since I did that.  The good one is on the bottom.  I'm going to switch them to see if it makes any difference.  I read somewhere some guy was blowing a hot hair dryer inside and it seemed to help.  That's a little extreme though.

I think you're right that the system requires the cores to be a bit more toastie to get the most problem is the mercury with one core doesn't make much heat it's the opposite it makes three room colder with the front fans. The front fans seems unessecary as they're constantly at 100%, same with the heatsink fan as well.
Try unplugging the fans.

MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:44:52 PM

+1

+1
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 07:57:11 PM

Those fans on the Arctic heatsinks do tend to fall off at the slightest provocation.  I've got one of them on an Athlon, and the fan has fallen off a few times, it's only held on by a bit of friction...
Scott J
Legendary

Activity: 1792

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 08:22:01 PM

Give the guy a break - he has shown how to set up a Jupiter in a step by step process, thus helping mining newbies like me.

I almost ordered one of these and would have been thankful for this video.

Donate only if you feel the contribution is valuable to you; it's not mandatory.
SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 10:12:42 PM

Give the guy a break - he has shown how to set up a Jupiter in a step by step process, thus helping mining newbies like me.

Donate only if you feel the contribution is valuable to you; it's not mandatory.

Agreed, but haters gone hate I guess. It's seems just because you can afford expensive hardware you're no longer allowed to ask for donations for taking the time to make a video for others. It ultimately helped me to at least check the insides because my fan was lose on arrival.
joae1975 (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2013, 11:04:57 PM

Agreed, but haters gone hate I guess. It's seems just because you can afford expensive hardware you're no longer allowed to ask for donations for taking the time to make a video for others. It ultimately helped me to at least check the insides because my fan was lose on arrival.
Thanks guys.  I think dude was making fun of my large QR code.  I found his comment rather funny posting a huge-mungus QR code.  LOL!  It's all good.  I'm on a learning curve here.  I no longer want to participate in youtube's monetization program for many reasons.  I threw that video together really fast, no rehearsal.  It's real life folks, no fluff.  I'd post more about it but I think everything's being covered in the forums.  I'm glad to help anyone out, donations or not, it doesn't matter.  With that said, if I can add any more tips here they are:

-  .95 firmware works best for my good miner, .96.1 is better for my lemon
-  my miners run better hot, other report cold is better
-  ckolivas posted a better version of cgminer, it's helped me get better hashrates.
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3424700#msg3424700
    FW version .98 is supposed to mirror this as I understand it.
-  once you get your miner running at maximum hashrate, don't f* with it.
-  Get a good surge protector with ethernet/cable filters.  Don't let any connections go unfiltered.

SlyFoxy12

View Profile
October 30, 2013, 05:07:38 PM

Thanks guys.  I think dude was making fun of my large QR code.  I found his comment rather funny posting a huge-mungus QR code.  LOL!  It's all good.  I'm on a learning curve here.  I no longer want to participate in youtube's monetization program for many reasons.  I threw that video together really fast, no rehearsal.  It's real life folks, no fluff.  I'd post more about it but I think everything's being covered in the forums.  I'm glad to help anyone out, donations or not, it doesn't matter.  With that said, if I can add any more tips here they are:

-  .95 firmware works best for my good miner, .96.1 is better for my lemon
-  my miners run better hot, other report cold is better
-  ckolivas posted a better version of cgminer, it's helped me get better hashrates.
    https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.msg3424700#msg3424700
    FW version .98 is supposed to mirror this as I understand it.
-  once you get your miner running at maximum hashrate, don't f* with it.
-  Get a good surge protector with ethernet/cable filters.  Don't let any connections go unfiltered.

I've tried the 0.98 firmware, functionality wise it's good but still only at the 100Gh/s rate but I did see a message about not using a core so thinking about it, running the coreenable firmware again might do the job.

+1 on the surge protectors, make sure anything going into your devices has electrical isolation in the way of surge protectors, you don't want £1500+ worth of equipment going up in smoke because you didn't spend £10 on a surge protector.

So once these devices become obsolete, what hashing rates do you think there new devices will run?
SlyFoxy12

View Profile
November 05, 2013, 10:41:09 AM

I just thought I'd add to this thread in case anyone is following it.

1) Firmware 0.98.1 came out and fixed my issue that I now run at a full 140Gh/s on my little mercury, which I'm told is officially only suppose to do a max output of 144Gh/s by Kncminer customer support.

2) Kncminer have been amazingly good when in comparison to the horror stories of BFL and others who have been either late to the party or went bust in the process, I'd happily get more devices in the future if they keep up the standard and just improve on the few niggles of the first generation.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: