Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:27:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What will be the first "mass adopted" use of BTC?  (Voting closed: October 24, 2013, 06:27:03 PM)
Money transfers (ex migrant workers sending money home) - 38 (28.1%)
Purchasing goods and services just like fiat - 14 (10.4%)
Investing and preserving wealth - 81 (60%)
Some other use - 2 (1.5%)
Total Voters: 135

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Adoption of BTC  (Read 5430 times)
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:45:20 PM

I think, sooner or later, especially if Bitcoin goes high, NSA, FBI, will shut it down, block it. I don't know when, I don't know how, but they will do it. Too dangerous. A Dollar is a Dollar, USA owns the world, and it is like this.

The entire point of Bitcoin is that you can't 'shut it down'. This  is like the billionth time somebody has tried this argument. Do you people ever try understanding how Bitcoin itself works? If they wanted to "shut it down", they have to 51% it. Which is getting harder and harder every day. Its not going to happen.

Right.  Wouldn't it be like shutting down the internet at this point? 

Potentially, it'd be actually easier to shut down the internet. The internet is more centralized in that if you control the switches you can do a massive man in the middle attack. Since most of the switches are owned by US companies, it'd be easier to harm the internet than harm bitcoin. Just look at the NSA.

A better analogy would be "Shutting down Bitcoin would be like shutting down Tor."

So the logic should be that it will be harder to shut down Bitcoin then the internet.  Why are people worried about it being shut down then?  Sounds impossible?   Regulation is another issue though.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
c1010010

Activity: 275
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:49:18 PM

I think, sooner or later, especially if Bitcoin goes high, NSA, FBI, will shut it down, block it. I don't know when, I don't know how, but they will do it. Too dangerous. A Dollar is a Dollar, USA owns the world, and it is like this.

The entire point of Bitcoin is that you can't 'shut it down'. This  is like the billionth time somebody has tried this argument. Do you people ever try understanding how Bitcoin itself works? If they wanted to "shut it down", they have to 51% it. Which is getting harder and harder every day. Its not going to happen.

Potentially, it'd be actually easier to shut down the internet. The internet is more centralized in that if you control the switches you can do a massive man in the middle attack. Since most of the switches are owned by US companies, it'd be easier to harm the internet than harm bitcoin. Just look at the NSA.

A better analogy would be "Shutting down Bitcoin would be like shutting down Tor."

So the logic should be that it will be harder to shut down Bitcoin then the internet.  Why are people worried about it being shut down then?  Sounds impossible?   Regulation is another issue though.

I think it is going to get hit as a taxable item.

YOU TOO CAN BE A MILLIONAIRE – INFINITECOIN Infinite possibilities – http://infinitecointalk.org          
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:50:29 PM

People are worried about it being shut down because they don't know how Bitcoin works. The root cause for 90% of people's worries about Bitcoin.

BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:56:53 PM

I think it is going to get hit as a taxable item.

Of course.  The government should be happy with Bitcoin then if they are getting more tax dollars.

enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:57:23 PM

I noticed that first sentiment that people express when first encountering bitcoin is: most bitcoins have already been distributed, I'm late to the party.

So the natural first reaction is negative.
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 06:58:29 PM

I noticed that first sentiment that people express when first encountering bitcoin is: most bitcoins have already been distributed, I'm late to the party.

Which I think is a very false premise.  How many people have even heard of Bitcoin yet?  And even the ones that have heard of it have not bought any.

The party has just started.  Wink

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:02:12 PM

What the heck? By that logic the first reaction to most everything should be negative since most things have already been distributed.

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:10:56 PM

Its amazing how quickly this is all changing

7 months ago I heard a reporter on CBC talking about this crazy digital currency, so I looked into it.  That night my attitude went from extremely skeptical to intrigued.  over then next few weeks, I tried to talk to people about it, and for the most part everyones answer was, say what?
well I am a bit obsessive about things once i get onto them so after reading every blog i could find, I bought some BTC.
since then I have been scammed out of 7500 of my first 10000 dollars invested, and I am still ahead on my investment....
damn you terrahash and yifu
luckily BTC prices are volatile, and as long as you know why you are here you can be optomistic to know that when you invest you will make money,
and if you watch the trends you can sell and double up when your lucky

.. i got lucky bought low sold high three times and turned my 30 leftover btc into 60

I digress.....
BTC is being talked about again, and this time its not just us ocd people who are watching it.  All those friends who said, Say what?, 7 months ago are starting to call me back.  And when I tell clients ill take cash credit or BTC people actually know what im talking about

all we need now is a nice stable 24 month rise to 1500 per BTC and we will begin to see the world jump on the BTC train

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:53:46 PM

all we need now is a nice stable 24 month rise to 1500 per BTC and we will begin to see the world jump on the BTC train

That is utterly wrong. The only path to mass adoption is through increased utility and speculation is not a very effective use. If people don't use Bitcoin, then it will ultimately be worth nothing, regardless of the price you pay. If everyone buys bitcoins that nobody uses, then it will end up as just another bubble.

A steady value would lead to mass adoption much more quickly than a changing value because it would reduce uncertainty.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BitChick
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:05:29 PM

That is utterly wrong. The only path to mass adoption is through increased utility and speculation is not a very effective use. If people don't use Bitcoin, then it will ultimately be worth nothing, regardless of the price you pay. If everyone buys bitcoins that nobody uses, then it will end up as just another bubble.

A steady value would lead to mass adoption much more quickly than a changing value because it would reduce uncertainty.

I don't know.  People threw over 56 billion into the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme.  What kind of utility was there in that?  It was purely to make money.  Of course I am not saying that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme at all.  In fact, we should be even more hopeful because it is not!  Once word gets out that this is a viable and successful investment, and the funds such as the Second Market fund or the Winklevii fund are showing huge gains more and more people will jump in just for the profits alone.  The utility will be the profits at that point.

But I am all for some utility too. Smiley  We have that going for Bitcoin as well.  And a a steady increase without the ups and downs will help, but that will come in time I think.

zengryT

Activity: 745
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:09:44 PM

I think its more like: its so tough to mine Bitcoins these days, damn I'm late to the party

Not managing signature campaigns anymore.
toddfletcher

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:23:17 PM

That is utterly wrong. The only path to mass adoption is through increased utility and speculation is not a very effective use.

Speculation IS a use
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:25:58 PM

I don't know.  People threw over 56 billion into the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme.  What kind of utility was there in that?  It was purely to make money.  Of course I am not saying that Bitcoin is a ponzi scheme at all.  In fact, we should be even more hopeful because it is not!  Once word gets out that this is a viable and successful investment, and the funds such as the Second Market fund or the Winklevii fund are showing huge gains more and more people will jump in just for the profits alone.  The utility will be the profits at that point.
But I am all for some utility too. Smiley  We have that going for Bitcoin as well.  And a a steady increase without the ups and downs will help, but that will come in time I think.

That is exactly my point. Madoff's investors ended up with nothing, because they invested a lot of money in nothing. If Bitcoin has no utility, then why would anyone buy it, except to hope that someone else buys it from them for more? That's stupid. It's called a bubble.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
reannypleas

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:31:26 PM

That is utterly wrong. The only path to mass adoption is through increased utility and speculation is not a very effective use.

Speculation IS a use

It is, but not long lived option. Only increased Bitcoin useability will guarantee certain price level for longer time

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 10:56:08 PM

If everybody decided to speculate on BTC at the same time, including merchants, then suddenly its not speculation at all, but an actual currency.

Just sayin'.

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:23:39 PM

If everybody decided to speculate on BTC at the same time, including merchants, then suddenly its not speculation at all, but an actual currency.
Just sayin'.

Yes, but only if people use it as a currency.

hayek

Activity: 370

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:28:00 PM

Look at all the previous new economies.

Look at the wild west, that's a good example.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:59:24 PM

I feel the same about fiat. Someone have them all already. Worse, if I get some, they are diluted by the day.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:06:10 AM

Just sayin'.

Yes, but only if people use it as a currency.
If everybody has it (or can borrow it), everybody wants it, and its fungible, divisible, transferable, and a store of value, then it will naturally become currency.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 12:11:56 AM

i tend to agree with op. btc not so great for making small internet purchases since there is a market for inclusion in the blockchain and the lack of space will eventually drive the transaction fees up. it could be ok for storing wealth in theory, but we already have gold for that. where it really shines is for serving the markets that we traditionally think of as being served by western uninion, bank wire transfers, fedwire or SWIFT. basically for sending reasonably large sums of money frictionlessly internationally for things like remittances or clearing between financial institutions.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: