Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:55:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Safe is MetaMask?  (Read 702 times)
stefany101

Activity: 616
Merit: 103

A Blockchain Mobile Operator With Token Rewards

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 03:37:20 AM

Metamask is safe wallet where you can stock your funds. In fact, Metamask is much safer and secure than MyEtherWallet because it requires confirmation before accessing your wallet unlike MEW that only uses private key to access. There are so many fake sites of myetherwallet nowadays so when you sign in your private key there is a possibility that you will be scammed.

M!R△CLE TELE     BRINGING MAGIC TO THE TELECOM INDUSTRY     JOIN US NOW!
▐▐   40% Biweekly Rewards     ▬▬▬   Calls at €0.2   ▬▬▬     Traffic from €0.01 worldwide   ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  Lightpaper  Bounty  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram   ▬▬▬▬▬▬
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mardaed

Activity: 994
Merit: 105

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 03:53:59 AM

I have become increasingly concerned with security considering all of the attempted hacks, scams etc..

Knowing this I have moved much of my funds out of exchanges, but now if I hold these funds in MetaMask, can someone initiate a payment without my consent?

I received a full-screen warning from MetaMask with a warning for Ethereum Phishing.

Picture below:

Keen to hear your thoughts
I've been using metamask for almost 3 years already and so far so good. Phishing is everywhere therefore if you fall victim to it then metamask is not to blame instead you were to blame.
We are responsible in avoiding this kind of mistake.
GayOfThrones

Activity: 479
Merit: 103

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:00:34 AM

The warning that Metamask has given to you seems a very useful one. You may actually have visited a phishing site. If you have funds that you are afraid could get stolen I too warmly recommend you a hardware walled like Nano Ledger.

⚪ Byteball          I T   J U S T   W O R K S .  
Sending Crypto to Email   -   Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments   -   ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD                  TELEGRAM                     TWITTER                  MEDIUM                  SLACK                  REDDIT
jc123

Activity: 83
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:16:12 AM

Yes your wallet is so much safe if you use metamask. And its more easy to unlock your wallet using this.
voxdu12

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

EndChain - Complete Logistical Solution

View Profile
March 18, 2018, 10:20:02 AM

it seems to me not very safe, I do not trust this kind of purses, better ledger nano, or just a local purse on myetherwallet, it's up to you, but the security issue now has to be approached very responsibly

UnlimitedMoneymaker

Activity: 304
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2018, 12:56:31 AM

There are 6 ways to attack metamask:

With unlocked metamask

1. Your Last Outgoing Transaction Failed

A phony notification with real details about your last outgoing transaction

2. Sign For Your Last Incoming Transaction

You DONT'T EVER need to sign incoming transaction
A fake request to “sign for” your most recent incoming transaction, gathered from Etherscan

3. Cloning MetaMask’s CSS

A fake pop-out showing how easy it is so spoof the full MetaMask behavior

WIth a Locked MetaMask

4. Coercing the User to Unlock Their Real MetaMask

A fake notification encouraging a user to unlock their MetaMask

5. Phishing the User

fake MetaMask popout

6. The Timing Attack

As mentioned in this blog post by co-founder John Backus, the malicious site can wait in the background until it detects you have unlocked MetaMask in a different tab.

Full version of this article here

Thanks a lot. Because of this article I will save my money. I heard about this issues but wanted to know how to prevent those. I will use only "clean and empty" computer for the transactions in the future. It's not guarantee but more chances to avoid these malwares.

▀▀▀▀▀▀     SWIPE  │ Monetizing mobile engagement data, on the blockchain    ▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄▄▄▄         Whitepaper       Telegram       Twitter       Medium       Reddit          ▄▄▄▄
jikook

Activity: 122

View Profile
April 05, 2018, 08:38:45 AM

To me, you should use Metamask because it creates a private key-pair via a seed and is accessible through the web browser. So you can completely control of their private keys, which can be used to access funds anywhere.
rarg

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2018, 08:56:23 AM

I have become increasingly concerned with security considering all of the attempted hacks, scams etc..

Knowing this I have moved much of my funds out of exchanges, but now if I hold these funds in MetaMask, can someone initiate a payment without my consent?

I received a full-screen warning from MetaMask with a warning for Ethereum Phishing.

Picture below:

Keen to hear your thoughts

That's maybe you entering phishing sites. Metamask has a function to warn users while entering phishing sites. That a usual thing with Metamask.
I suggest you bookmark all your visited site, including Myetherwallet and all your trading sites.

Daniel Jonas

Activity: 82

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:27:04 PM

To my knowledge, it will be a good choice for you when you choose to Metamask to use because MetaMask enables you to participate on EtherDelta, a decentralized exchange, directly from the wallet. You don’t have to deposit or withdraw funds on the exchange, but rather the website communicates with the MetaMask extension and enables you to trade on the spot.
Daniel Jonas

Activity: 82

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:32:53 PM

It is so good if you choose Metamask to use because it allows you to keep any ERC20 Token in the same wallet, as well as allow you to easily view your account on the Ethereum blockchain. So convenient and easy to use.
pageraji

Activity: 966
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:39:03 PM

Metamask is safe wallet where you can stock your funds. In fact, Metamask is much safer and secure than MyEtherWallet because it requires confirmation before accessing your wallet unlike MEW that only uses private key to access. There are so many fake sites of myetherwallet nowadays so when you sign in your private key there is a possibility that you will be scammed.
i have wallet in MEW, can i use metamask for my same wallet address from MEW?or have a new one with meta mask?
shimbark123

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 12, 2018, 02:48:21 PM

MetaMask is the super safe way in entering on your ethereum wallet. It is the best way indeed. Try using it it is really safe guys. I don't know how it actually works but a lot of people using it doesn't seem to state problems regarding the metamask.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
linh_thuy

Activity: 126
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 16, 2018, 01:46:33 PM

To me, you should use Metamask because it creates a private key-pair via a seed and is accessible through the web browser. So you can completely control of their private keys, which can be used to access funds anywhere.
fundlan

Activity: 3

View Profile
January 16, 2024, 07:23:59 AM

metamask have some problems like cannot estimate gas; transaction may fail or may require manual gas limit https://fundlan.com/cannot-estimate-gas-metamask/
but is very good.
kaka_Shipai

Activity: 270
Merit: 21

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
January 16, 2024, 09:57:55 AM

I don't had a very good experience with metamask. There are airdrops and phising links, that made you click and once you do, its game over. All your funds from metamask are gone. And there are so many of these attempts that one falls for it, no matter how cautious he is.
My advice is keep your funds in a wallet but don't add it to the metamak and dont keep it on the laptop u use. Keep it somewhere safe and only add it once you need the funds and then remove that wallet.
Keeping a separate laptop for these kind of these things would be better.

╓                                        SWG.io  ⁞ Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.14                                        ╖
║         〘 Available On Binance Square 〙•〘 ◊ ICOHOLDER ⁞ 4.45 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙        ║
╙                  ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY  NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹                  ╜
ItsCrafty

Activity: 826
Merit: 135

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2024, 11:21:50 AM

In this case I would say that Metamask is a safe wallet but most of the time we do it like we connect our wallets with fake websites which makes our Access in and then they hack our or specific chain or whole wallet .
so always  connect your wallet with real website  and don't connect with random  fake website that we get scam and  danger   even if anyone connects his wallet to fake website so do Revoke is that your wallet disconnected to that website  your secret phrase are save in safe place.
 don't share anyone  so your wallet will be safe.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●      T W I T T E R      ●      T E L E G R A M      ●      M E D I U M      ●
shawonngp

Activity: 756
Merit: 107

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2024, 11:47:53 AM

Metamask is safe and I am using metamask extension in chorme browser for a crouple years, nothing faced any issue. But i do not suggest to use for big amount holding in your wallet. You should buy hardware wallet to protect your large amount, because if somehow you clicked any phishing link or site then hacker can control your pc.

wtsimis

Activity: 326
Merit: 135

View Profile
February 04, 2024, 03:08:01 PM

Metamask is safe for small amounts of resources.  If you have a lot of tokens or ETHEREUM then you can use hardware wallet.  such as  ledger or trezor.  Metamask is an online wallet that you access through your computer connected to the web.  You can access the MetaMask wallet by entering your 12-digit seed code and setting a password.  But it should be noted that only use metamask for small amount of assets, if you have a lot of assets then hardware wallet is very safe.
Tipstar

Activity: 1764
Merit: 280

Smart World Global Token

View Profile
February 04, 2024, 03:25:59 PM

Metamask is safe. It's more upto us how we make our browsing habit safe. I don't think some website could just auto approve themselves, but you need to be careful to what website you are giving your approval. There are many way scammer tries to phis your coin out. They may insert a scam url even though you are moving between valid urls. They feed you real looking scam sites, sometimes they come first in google search. Another thing is they target your device with malware that reads, modifies clipboard and keystrokes and sometimes one's that even record and transmit your screen. So, you should make it sure that you're accessing Metamask in a secure device.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

Games.Bitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 11

Tontogether | Save Smart & Win Big

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2024, 03:41:18 PM

Metamask is very safe but only for a small number of resources . There are numerous traders or holders, People  use metamask because they have less resources. There is no requirement to use a hardware wallet. So I would say for less resources you can safely use metamask.

|     T o n T o g e t h e r     |     Saving Empowers Winning     |
Join Launchpool  >  Jan 10th - Feb 10th
●    T W I T T E R    ●    T E L E G R A M    ●    M E D I U M    ●
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: