Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:48:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Making a profitable rig for altcoin  (Read 3940 times)
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:49:18 AM

Electricity at 5 cents ker kwh is quite cheap and you can probably be profitable at that rate.

In regards to temperatures, from November to February, you look to be fine.  A few rigs will even keep your home warm during the colder months...just have a couple fans moving air away from the rigs.  In the summer, when temperatures in your house get above 25 degrees C, you're probably going to want to clock down your GPU's or run an air conditioner. 

Keep in mind that some cards run cooler than others, even cards of the same make and model.  I ordered 30 5870's last year.  At 100% the cards ranged from 54 degrees to 120+ degrees with ambient temperature of around 20.  I returned 15 of the cards that ran above 80 degrees and only kept the cool ones.  Then again, I ordered these cards directly from a factory here in China and quality control is not a concept that the Chinese quite understand yet.  Hardware is cheap, but close enough usually cuts it here.

Also, back when I first started mining, it took a lot of tweaking over several weeks to get the systems stable and be confident that they will mine 24/7.  I'd often wake up to find several rigs crashed over night, sometimes from silly oversights but other times for no apparent reason.  Eventually you iron these small issues out, but still today a system might halt after a few days and I still don't know why.  Some people have scheduled in automatic restarts every x hours for this reason.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
manav1112 (OP)

Activity: 298

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 10:27:36 AM

Electricity at 5 cents ker kwh is quite cheap and you can probably be profitable at that rate.

In regards to temperatures, from November to February, you look to be fine.  A few rigs will even keep your home warm during the colder months...just have a couple fans moving air away from the rigs.  In the summer, when temperatures in your house get above 25 degrees C, you're probably going to want to clock down your GPU's or run an air conditioner. 

Keep in mind that some cards run cooler than others, even cards of the same make and model.  I ordered 30 5870's last year.  At 100% the cards ranged from 54 degrees to 120+ degrees with ambient temperature of around 20.  I returned 15 of the cards that ran above 80 degrees and only kept the cool ones.  Then again, I ordered these cards directly from a factory here in China and quality control is not a concept that the Chinese quite understand yet.  Hardware is cheap, but close enough usually cuts it here.

Also, back when I first started mining, it took a lot of tweaking over several weeks to get the systems stable and be confident that they will mine 24/7.  I'd often wake up to find several rigs crashed over night, sometimes from silly oversights but other times for no apparent reason.  Eventually you iron these small issues out, but still today a system might halt after a few days and I still don't know why.  Some people have scheduled in automatic restarts every x hours for this reason.
For the mining, multiminer auto-restarts Cheesy.
FTC has been the most profitable for me for the past few weeks.
What pool are u using atm for FTC? Anyone recommend a good pool?
aetos

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:00:42 PM

Now that would mean I would need to invest 1100$ As I need to just upgrade my motherboard and GPU's? Or is there a more efficient of mining to get 20000 INR at least a month, as I need to start earning ASAP.
Sell yourself into the sex trade.

Mining is not a profitable venture.

what he needs is obama in his country.
but since there is no obama i take it he wanst the rigs to get him the money..
get a  job   buddy..  and support your grandparents
The Goat Master

Activity: 868
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:01:49 PM

I don't think it is profitable anymore

██
         ▄▄▀  ▀▄
        ▄▀▀▄▄▄  ▀▄
      ▄██▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▀▄
    ▄▀ █  ▄▄▀▀ █  █ ▀▄▄
  ▄▀  ██▀█ ▄▀▀▄ █ █  █▀▄
██   █ █▐▌█ ██ █ ██ █   ██
  ▀▄█  █ █ ▀▄▄▀▄▄███  ▄▀
   ▀▀▄ █▄▄█▄█▀▀   █ ▄▀
      ▀▄▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀▀██▀
        ▀▄  ▀▀▄▄▄▀
          ▀▄  ▄▀▀
            ██
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀▀
███
███
███
 ███▄         ▄▄
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███
█████████████

█████████████

█████████████
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██████████████▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
      ██▌
    ▄▄███████▄▄
  ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄
 ███▀         ▀███
███             ███
███             ███
███             ███
 ███▄         ▄███
  ▀███▄▄   ▄▄███▀
    ▀▀███████▀▀
██████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
          ▀██▌
          ▄██▌
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
██████████▀
██▌    ▀███▄
██▌      ▀███▄
██▌        ▀███

▄▄
████
 ▀▀
        ██
       ████
      ██▌▐██
     ██▌  ▐██
    ██▌    ▐██
   ██▌      ▐██
  ██▌        ▐██
 ██▌          ▐██
██▌    ███████████
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
██▌
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███

███
███
.▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀.
FACEBOOK       REDDIT       TELEGRAM
BITCOINTALK   TWITTER   INSTAGRAM
aetos

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:02:39 PM

How much do you pay for electricity in India?  What's the average temperature in the room where you'll be operating your rigs?  You will not be able to run your cards at 100% if you can't keep the room cool and the air flowing.
1st question: $0.05 KW/h but it is ok because if it ends up too high, i have a house which is connected to Golden Temple (I am very lucky to have such a ancestrial house right next to it) and that had (im not joking) free electricity, but i prefer having it in my current house, which is also powered by Solar Panel Smiley
2nd question:
Here you go:
Also please do tell me how to keep it cool, because I dont want it to go bad, or not work at 100%. Currently year round, the rig is at 66 if idle, and 74 when mining (celcius).

Thanks for the advice Smiley

if its such a privileged to be next to that temple than there must be tourism  exploit that aspect
aetos

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:45:50 PM

Now that would mean I would need to invest 1100$ As I need to just upgrade my motherboard and GPU's? Or is there a more efficient of mining to get 20000 INR at least a month, as I need to start earning ASAP.
Sell yourself into the sex trade.

Mining is not a profitable venture.

what he needs is obama in his country.
but since there is no obama i take it he wanst the rigs to get him the money..
get a  job   buddy..  and support your grandparents
1. I am 14 years old.
2. My dad is a diplomat overseas, and I stay with my parents, but my dad hasn't been helping my mothers side parents so that is the reason why
3. We have a man called Narenda Modi who is equal or better than Obama, and he will win elections next year
4. This will get me more money than a job, provided I can get a lot capital

For ur reply above, it is a privilege, but it's on the backside, and we never were interested in such business.
sorry kid. i love your enthusiasm in easy money.. but having told this to many  .. education is your way out.. do not learn to depend on the easy way and  get rich quick schemes..
in india with the capital required to start your rig you can  start a consulting bussiness and making rigs for other people..Smiley  or fix pc something but educate yourselffffffff
aetos

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 02:46:34 PM

by the way if you think and  comparing your guy to obama you are in for bankrupsy..Smiley   
manav1112 (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:57:22 PM

Removed off topic posts. Smiley
number37

Activity: 658

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 04:07:46 PM

GPU mining is not profitable anymore, I am waiting for ASICs capable of doing scrypt.
nwoolls

Activity: 840
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 03:29:35 AM

MultiMiner can help you on the software side.

• It can be configured to automatically mine coins based on profitability, difficulty, or price
  • It supports GPUs, FPGAs and ASICs
  • It can act as a Stratum Proxy, allowing you to monitor and control (and automatically mine using) Erupter Blades, Raspberry Pis and more
  • It allows you to monitor and control your mining from your smartphone (using MobileMiner)
  • It runs on Windows, OS X and Linux
  • It supports any Scrypt or SHA-256 coin and any pool
  • It can use either bfgminer or cgminer as a backend and automatically updates both (and itself)
  • And it's Open Source

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
manav1112 (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 04:59:05 AM

Would this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150671 run at a faster hashrate?
Its a XFX Double D FX-795A-TDKC Radeon HD 7950 Black Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card
Its different to the other ones it says its 'double d' and compared to the normal one:          
                                   Normal                                             'Double D'
Core Clock:                   900 MHz                                      Core Clock 925 MHz
Effective Memory Clock: 1250 MHz (5 Gbps)                       5000 MHz
OpenGL                        Yes (4.2)                                     No
DirectX                          Yes                                             Yes        

EDIT: or should I just take one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/R-MSI-R7950-3GD5-OC-BE-AMD-ATI-RADEON-HD-PCIE-3GB-GDDR5-VIDEO-CARD-/350910079930?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item51b3dee3ba
($199 and also 5000 MHz, but refurbished)
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Radeon-HD-7950-GDDR5-3GB-384-bit-850-MHz-DVI-HDMI-mini-DP-R7950-TF-3GD5-BE-/271307384345?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item3f2b2e2619
 (Does not include crossfire cable, $200, and is also 5000 MHz)
hendo420

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2013, 06:46:32 AM

XFX cards run really hot and in my experience are some of the slower cards on the market. The warranty is the best, they never argue when I have a problem and it is lifetime. I had a fan go out on a card, they sent me a whole heatsink with fans, they said I can use the 2nd fan if one of my other gpu fans goes out. lol

Sapphire/Gigabyte are going to be your fastest cards, I do not have experience with MSI but I have heard they are right up there with Sapphire/Gigabyte in performance.

You would be very lucky if you found one for sale new with unlocked voltage. If you don't mind not having a warranty you can get a good 30-40% off of the retail price buying used at auction on ebay and depending on how old the card is you have a better chance at getting one with unlocked voltage.

If you go with MSI get the 2nd one since it has dual fans.

ebmarket.co
Taxidermista
Legendary

Activity: 1147
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 09:31:54 AM

Calculations
However when I mine worldcoin on 100 KH/s, for about 1400 minutes (23.33 hours) it only gave me about 25 WDC which is about 0.00275373 BTC at current exchange rate which is about $0.4 at the average rate of $156 / BTC, meaning I do get more than what it says on wheretomine.com So, that would mean that if I was mining that long at 3250 KH/s I would have gotten $0.4 * 32.5 = $13 a day x 30 for 1 month = 390$ x 61.13 for INR = 23140!
I am not taking electricity into account, because in my locality it is dirt cheap  Smiley

Your calculations are absolutely wrong. And there is not such thing as "dirt cheap" electricity when the income is so low.

manav1112 (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2013, 01:26:30 PM

Calculations
However when I mine worldcoin on 100 KH/s, for about 1400 minutes (23.33 hours) it only gave me about 25 WDC which is about 0.00275373 BTC at current exchange rate which is about $0.4 at the average rate of $156 / BTC, meaning I do get more than what it says on wheretomine.com So, that would mean that if I was mining that long at 3250 KH/s I would have gotten $0.4 * 32.5 = $13 a day x 30 for 1 month = 390$ x 61.13 for INR = 23140!
I am not taking electricity into account, because in my locality it is dirt cheap  Smiley

Your calculations are absolutely wrong. And there is not such thing as "dirt cheap" electricity when the income is so low.
Okay well it is very little as we use solar water heating and he have 10 solar panels generating 230 watts each so dont worry

XFX cards run really hot and in my experience are some of the slower cards on the market. The warranty is the best, they never argue when I have a problem and it is lifetime. I had a fan go out on a card, they sent me a whole heatsink with fans, they said I can use the 2nd fan if one of my other gpu fans goes out. lol

Sapphire/Gigabyte are going to be your fastest cards, I do not have experience with MSI but I have heard they are right up there with Sapphire/Gigabyte in performance.

You would be very lucky if you found one for sale new with unlocked voltage. If you don't mind not having a warranty you can get a good 30-40% off of the retail price buying used at auction on ebay and depending on how old the card is you have a better chance at getting one with unlocked voltage.

If you go with MSI get the 2nd one since it has dual fans.
I think i will go with MSI, if I dont find a good deal for a voltage unlocked one. Thanks a lot on that, I was tempted for the 1st one since it had cross fire cables and was cheaper and was refurbished haha, but you are right, it would be better to have dual fans to keep it cool.
If you go for MSI, get the Twin Frozr III. It's the best card, runs the coolest and hashes the fastest. It's also voltage unlocked, unlike Gigabyte's garbage.
If I get a good deal then I will take that  Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: