Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:29:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unconfirmed  (Read 558 times)
jadair10 (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:34:11 PM

If someone posts a transaction and the input(s) in the public address do not have enough funds, is the transaction just invalid and therefore discarded?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:40:19 PM

Obviously.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
jadair10 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:45:50 PM

What I mean is, the transaction won't sit there until the public address is funded, correct?
pontiacg5

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 08:50:33 PM

From my understanding the transaction will hang around for some time, but most miners ignore malicious transactions like this so it is essentially discarded.

I believe you could resubmit the transaction after funding, I've seen people modify stalled transactions to include omitted transaction fees.

Are you "missing" BTC because you tried to manually push an invalid transaction? I think there is a simple command that should make your wallet recheck all your addresses, which would make the coins "appear" again.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
jadair10 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:46:16 PM

From my understanding the transaction will hang around for some time, but most miners ignore malicious transactions like this so it is essentially discarded.

I believe you could resubmit the transaction after funding, I've seen people modify stalled transactions to include omitted transaction fees.

Are you "missing" BTC because you tried to manually push an invalid transaction? I think there is a simple command that should make your wallet recheck all your addresses, which would make the coins "appear" again.
No. I've just seen unconfirmed transactions on the blockchain explorer (@ blockchain.info) which have hung around as unconfirmed for days because the address appeared to have insufficient funds — at least that is why I thought it was marked as unconfirmed.

In my opinion, the blockchain explorer should note the transaction as invalid or invalid with reason listed; maybe it works this way, but I suspect that it is just discarded. Are invalid transactions propagated through the whole p2p network even if invalid?
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:50:49 PM

No. I've just seen unconfirmed transactions on the blockchain explorer (@ blockchain.info) which have hung around as unconfirmed for days because the address appeared to have insufficient funds — at least that is why I thought it was marked as unconfirmed.

No, they are not getting processed because the fees taxes attached to the transaction are too low.
jadair10 (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:54:14 PM

No, they are not getting processed because the fees taxes attached to the transaction are too low.
Cheesy

A desktop bitcoin client such as Armory will transmit a transaction to how many nodes?
pontiacg5

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 09:59:38 PM

Not taxes, you must not understand bitcoin or taxes very well if you consider them taxes...

I think bitcoin-qt generally connects to 6 nodes or so, but they are different every time. I imagine Armory is similar?

The fee is "supposed" to be .0001 btc per 1000 bytes of transaction size. Trying to send a bunch of dust transactions/coins to one address will make a rather large transaction that requires a large fee, generally negating the coins you are trying to move. You are probably seeing transactions like this I imagine...

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:04:23 PM

Not taxes, you must not understand bitcoin or taxes very well if you consider them taxes...

It's called a "joke". It's a new altcoin that employs sophisticated verbal puzzles to mine comedy from the forums. You should get in on the ground floor.
pontiacg5

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:08:26 PM

It's called a "joke". It's a new altcoin that employs sophisticated verbal puzzles to mine comedy from the forums. You should get in on the ground floor.

Diff must be too high or something, over {postcount} shares and not one valid  Cry

Pretty sure I found a stale once or twice though  Grin

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:24:27 PM

The tx will be rejected by any sane bitcoin implementation.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 10:27:56 PM

What I mean is, the transaction won't sit there until the public address is funded, correct?

Bitcoin doesn't work on the concept of "funded".  A tx consists of specific inputs which are prior tx outputs.   

If the inputs are invalid or already spent the tx will be dropped by the first nodes it is sent to. You can't later fund the "address" because Bitcoin doesn't work on the concept of an address having x BTC worth of "funds".  Sending funds to the address would create a brand new input, one not referenced by your prior invalid tx.

Simple version:
Invalid tx are simply dropped. 
Unconfirmed =/= invalid it just means not included in a block.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: