Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:20:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Game forecast  (Read 1893 times)
btc_uzr (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

let's have some fun

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:26:09 AM

I'm still curious and wondering how the mining game will work out in the next 2 yrs.
Each company wants his customers to succeed.

Let me paint a simple black&white picture to show what I mean:
There are 3,6 companies each with 1.000 customers, so altogether 3.600 miners worldwide. Hashrate is spread equally. Electricity price is everywhere equal. So each customer gets 1BTC a day with same profit.

So the hardware price must reflect profit for mining 30BTC a month, until next hw generation appears or more miners join the game.

Mining attracts more&more ppl due to advertisements and reports, let's say 30 times more, you will end up with 1BTC a month.
The only question is now, what does one pay for his hardware (buy, maintenance, electricity), because now the hardware price must reflect profit for mining 1BTC a month, until next hw generation appears or more miners join the game.

I see some possible scenarios, ranked by probability:

1) it does not work out for most miners, they will loose money, only 'free electricity' helps to survive, most do not buy again and companies experience insolvency or at least massive losses when they do not leave the game in time with their profit

2) those few companies join a cartel and dictate hashrate&prices, they suck money out of our pockets, but the network lives on

3) companies challenge each other by selling products with a small margin over price costs, ending up in one manufacturer blows others away by selling way under profit (even making debts) in order to destroy competition, then enjoy monopole and make money back.

4) BTCs value increases coincidently in correlation to the amount of miners and money spent for hardware

Number 4) is the only positive scenario for BTC, miners and companies, but it's the one with the lowest probability from my point of view.
I guess we can be lucky if they form a cartel.  Undecided

Core of the thoughts is too many miners ruin the game for everyone, as hardware has certain base costs as well as electricity has and there's a maximum of daily BTC available with an upper limit in value. I see the amount of miners sky rocking, but not BTCs value and this may end up in a big bubble bursting.

Your thoughts are very welcome.

..and Thou shalt spread the coin in the name of cryptography for eternity
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:32:20 AM

Well, the future miner is getting as cheap as $6 per GH/s. It will continue to slide until the company have no more profit..

btc_uzr (OP)

Activity: 476

let's have some fun

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 09:44:03 AM
Last edit: October 19, 2013, 11:51:57 AM by btc_uzr

agreed.
what do you think what happens as soon as this barrier of price costs with low margin is passed ?
edit: or when too much miners buy this cheap hardware

..and Thou shalt spread the coin in the name of cryptography for eternity
hulk

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 01:37:42 PM

agreed.
what do you think what happens as soon as this barrier of price costs with low margin is passed ?

Soon, we will have electricity war. Who ever have the cheapest electricity wins... Just like GPU right now for alt-coin Sad

John122

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 11:33:04 PM

Soon, we will have electricity war. Who ever have the cheapest electricity wins... Just like GPU right now for alt-coin Sad

I'm happy to live in Quebec, where I can still manage to break even while mining on an overclocked Nvidia GTX580 SLI! =D

EDIT: Alt-coins, obviously... Tongue
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 12:48:16 AM

I'm still curious and wondering how the mining game will work out in the next 2 yrs.

Let me paint a simple black&white picture to show what I mean:
There are 3,6 companies each with 1.000 customers, so altogether 3.600 miners worldwide. Hashrate is spread equally. Electricity price is everywhere equal. So each customer gets 1BTC a day with same profit.

So the hardware price must reflect profit for mining 30BTC a month, until next hw generation appears or more miners join the game.

Mining attracts more&more ppl due to advertisements and reports, let's say 30 times more, you will end up with 1BTC a month.
The only question is now, what does one pay for his hardware (buy, maintenance, electricity), because now the hardware price must reflect profit for mining 1BTC a month, until next hw generation appears or more miners join the game.

I see some possible scenarios, ranked by probability:

1) it does not work out for most miners, they will loose money, only 'free electricity' helps to survive, most do not buy again and companies experience insolvency or at least massive losses when they do not leave the game in time with their profit

2) those few companies join a cartel and dictate hashrate&prices, they suck money out of our pockets, but the network lives on

3) companies challenge each other by selling products with a small margin over price costs, ending up in one manufacturer blows others away by selling way under profit (even making debts) in order to destroy competition, then enjoy monopole and make money back.

4) BTCs value increases coincidently in correlation to the amount of miners and money spent for hardware

Number 4) is the only positive scenario for BTC, miners and companies, but it's the one with the lowest probability from my point of view.
I guess we can be lucky if they form a cartel.  Undecided

Core of the thoughts is too many miners ruin the game for everyone, as hardware has certain base costs as well as electricity has and there's a maximum of daily BTC available with an upper limit in value. I see the amount of miners sky rocking, but not BTCs value and this may end up in a big bubble bursting.

Your thoughts are very welcome.

In 2 years time, the miner would realise its not many profit so they stopped ordering ASIC. The ASIC company would close down and we win Smiley

petersiddle98

Activity: 272

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 01:49:55 AM

I'm happy to live in Quebec, where I can still manage to break even while mining on an overclocked Nvidia GTX580 SLI! =D

How much is your electricity cost and Nvidia is for gaming Smiley

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 10:20:14 AM

Bitweasil

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 07:50:13 PM

I question your assertion.  So far, all they seem to want is a lot of preorder money and preferably to ship enough to get more preorders.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
cowandtea

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 24, 2013, 12:08:22 PM

Nvidia GTX 580 sucks for mining, please don't spoil a good card....

John122

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:21:09 PM

Well, my two cards mine almost as fast as my single HD7950. And I pay 5 cents/kwh! Tongue

Indeed it's for gaming. Wink
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2013, 02:05:59 AM

Well, my two cards mine almost as fast as my single HD7950. And I pay 5 cents/kwh! Tongue

Indeed it's for gaming. Wink

Sell away those 2 card and buy 3 HD 7950, you can get 3x the speed for the same power consumption Smiley
John122

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 01:18:06 AM

Sell away those 2 card and buy 3 HD 7950, you can get 3x the speed for the same power consumption Smiley

I know I could, but my Nvidia 3D Surround setup wouldn't work anymore... It's still my gaming computer after all.

But let's stop hijacking this thread!
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
November 02, 2013, 03:44:14 PM

agreed.

Not soon, but rather now. It's just not everyone is in that war. I am, I sold some hardware because in freakin germany you pay prices that should get you golden elecricity. Like elecricity, with gold. You know..
I envy you americans with your zero-cost electricity.  Cry

Hai
Gumbork

Activity: 583

View Profile
November 03, 2013, 01:06:13 AM

agreed.

Not soon, but rather now. It's just not everyone is in that war. I am, I sold some hardware because in freakin germany you pay prices that should get you golden elecricity. Like elecricity, with gold. You know..
I envy you americans with your zero-cost electricity.  Cry

Yup, never though even ASIC would need to have electricity war... as the difficulty increases the cost to operate my ASIC is getting close to my Bills.. Soon I will have to shut it down....

▄
            ▄███▄
          ▄███████▄
   ▄▄▄    █
█████████
   ███
    ███████████▄
██    ████    ████████▄
      ████    ██████████
  ████    ████▀██████████
  ████    ██▀   ▀█████████▄
      █████       █████████▄
      ███▀         ▀████████
  ██████▀           ▀███████
  █████▀             ▀█████
   ████ █▄▄▄     ▄▄▄█ ████
    ███ ▀███████████▀ ███
     ▀▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄▀▀
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
●●
|●  facebook
●  reddit
●  ann thread
|
█ ██
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██

██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
█ ██ █
██ █
labsbitforum

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 07, 2013, 09:02:39 PM

I was explaining Bitcoin mining to a friend and it was very difficult to explain why a company trying to make money would sell devices for less than what they could make mining themselves with them…  He wasn’t buying it and I really struggle with that being true as well.

I explained that some groups have built their own chip and gear and don’t really sell to the public.  As long as they stay ahead of the pack they always win.

Those that claim to only sell mining equipment (BFL) and don’t mine I don’t believe completely.  I’m sure the owners, close friends, and business associates all mined with the very first gear to roll off the assembly line for months when it was the most profitable.  BFL got the orders they did because people believed they would get the equipment in a time frame that they would make money.  BFL continually misled and then accepted orders for way more product than they should have.  They knew how many TH's they took orders for and were well aware that putting that much on the market the units would never ROI just based on their own impact on difficulty much less others deploying gear.  That allowed them to make much more money than what they would have if they mined with their own gear.  But, that only works once.  Their brand is now complete sh*t and no one that does even a modicum of research will buy from them going forward.

The game is simply the first in line at any tech leap are the ones who profit.  Those that pick the winners but are too far back in line lose just the same as those who pick the wrong horse.

So the next leap is 22nm-28nm coming this Dec-Jan-Feb.  First ones to get working systems based on these do very well.  Those that back a failed venture or are too far back in line will fail.

The next leap is 10nm – 14nm and then we’re pretty much caught up with mainstream CPU/GPU die shrink leaps that occur every 18-24 months.

Isn’t it over for the average person?  Why would the big players that prove they can make the chip and the gear give that away from here on out…

End game = At this point it looks to me like we get down to 1 to 3 big players that have full control.  When that happens Bitcoin becomes non-viable because they become just like the governments and big banks that Bitcoin was created to obsolete in terms of fiat currency exchange.  The system collapses and the next version of digital currency comes on the scene that builds in a better mechanism to ensure it stays peer to peer.

Bitcoin is likely akin to Napster in the evolutionary sense.  This is a first good attempt but as it centralizes it becomes non-viable.  Likely it will be replaced by a better version that learns from the mistakes of this version.  Final version is a truly free P2P fiat currency exchange mechanism that nobody profits from.  Something similar to seti@home or folding@home but money.  Oh and its quantum cryptology based not SHA-256 running on ASICs.

Just my perspective.  Curious what others think.  (other than tl;dr)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: