Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:03:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitmit to PayPal Chargeback...Any Chance For Me?  (Read 1591 times)
tool_462 (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:02:46 AM

I knew the risks but had previously successful (great, extensive, feedback) transactions selling a few BTC through Bitmit for PayPal.

One "seller" has filed chargebacks on basically everyone he bought from about 2 months ago, chargebacks came in today.

Is there any possible chance for PayPal to resolve in my favor?  It was a credit card case (of course) and I have massive amounts of PayPal transactions with zero issues to date (7,000 transactions).

Any tips from anyone that has dealt with it before?  It is just 1 transaction, other folks at Bitmit have bit the dust from the same guy though.

It is what it is, but I'd like to give up the best fight I can.  His "Shipping Address" is in Australia if that matters.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2013, 11:04:14 AM

no, Paypal TOS do not allow the trading of cryptocurrency.

ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:05:15 AM

How much money has he transacted on bitmit?
tool_462 (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:14:41 AM

Based on feedback, probably $50,000+

I mailed him a "receipt" with proper tracking and all that, apparently some have sided positively so we'll see.

You'd think a credit card company and/or PayPal would take notice of 30+ chargebacks over the span of a couple months...

KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 11:35:37 AM

I mailed him a "receipt" with proper tracking and all that, apparently some have sided positively so we'll see.

You'd think a credit card company and/or PayPal would take notice of 30+ chargebacks over the span of a couple months...

PP won't lose money so you are probably SOL. I find it hard to believe  people still mix PP and BTC after all the warnings and post about charge backs. I also can't believe you even posted when you state you knew the risks. Maybe a hard learned lesson is a well learned lesson.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 19, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

no chamce best thing you can do is change your bank details and de link it from your paypal account this will atleast make paypal look at the case as they will be the ones loosing out but doing this you also risk debt collectors ariving.... im in the UK and have seen so many chargeback and its not only digital goods its physical good deliverd to addresses paypal are asking for trouble and hopefully enough members can get together to file a class action law suite...

im atually trying to get tham bared from being a service in the UK and EU due to them not following EU regulations... they think there a power of there own and if and when the next ddos attack happens im throwing everything i have at them... they cost me lots of money and im going to cost them millions even if its the last thing i do.

tool_462 (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:24:17 AM

PP won't lose money so you are probably SOL. I find it hard to believe  people still mix PP and BTC after all the warnings and post about charge backs. I also can't believe you even posted when you state you knew the risks. Maybe a hard learned lesson is a well learned lesson.

Some people have won cases so we'll see.

It wasn't enough money that I wasn't willing to risk it, or I wouldn't have.  I have made enough money out of thin air thanks to BTC to worry too much about the little I pulled through PayPal.  I just did this time since I owed a work buddy some cash and it was faster than waiting for bank transfer for the small transaction.

justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:53:14 AM

I would call PayPal. Tell them about this buyer and all the charge backs. Make as much noise as possible. Write down names and dates of Paypal reps you have talked to.     
tool_462 (OP)

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 02:56:45 AM

I would call PayPal. Tell them about this buyer and all the charge backs. Make as much noise as possible. Write down names and dates of Paypal reps you have talked to.     

I'll harass them a bit, BitMit is being great and gave me all the info on all the other cases, the various IP addresses and all information about the seller as well.  Props to BitMit!  (Although they should probably make PayPal deals unauthorized)

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 03:23:21 AM

I'll harass them a bit, BitMit is being great and gave me all the info on all the other cases, the various IP addresses and all information about the seller as well.  Props to BitMit!  (Although they should probably make PayPal deals unauthorized)

It saddens me to read this particular post.
justmyname

Activity: 389

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:53:43 AM

Saddened the rip off artist is going down? Cheesy
Zeek_W

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 20, 2013, 07:56:13 AM

I'd say he is sad due to bitmit just giving away IPs when it is a matter for Paypal and possibly LE

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2013, 08:01:08 AM

Paypal credited my acct with $150 over some digital currency chargeback...  'since I was a member in good standing since '99 and had no other chargebacks'  or some shit
mrhelpful
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 06:22:54 AM

Damn, this a lesson learned. Sorry, that you had to go through this drama.
Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 07:22:39 AM

Some people have learned they do not have to pay for anything - simply do chargebacks.  The sky is the limit: order televisions, computers, or bitcoins.  Either "I didn't get it", "parts are missing", or "the box was empty".

+1 for Bitcoin to prevent Customer Fraud which has become rampant (as long as you use it correctly)

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
tool_462 (OP)

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 01:17:44 PM

Some people have learned they do not have to pay for anything - simply do chargebacks.  The sky is the limit: order televisions, computers, or bitcoins.  Either "I didn't get it", "parts are missing", or "the box was empty".

+1 for Bitcoin to prevent Customer Fraud which has become rampant (as long as you use it correctly)

This is the worst one, claiming "fraudulent use of credit card" so somehow I become the loser.  Credit Card company gets claim that the card was stolen and used, they take the money back from PP, which takes the money back from me...makes no sense.

Luckily it looks like I'm "winning" so far.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 01:42:07 AM

I'd say he is sad due to bitmit just giving away IPs when it is a matter for Paypal and possibly LE

Correct, though I currently have nothing else ill to say about BitMit. They've been around for a while and probably serve the community well, along with bringing further awareness to Bitcoin during their tenure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: