Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:05:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HD wallet question  (Read 172 times)
btcstudmuffin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 03:16:13 PM

Hey folks!

I'm working on the backend for a service that will require users to be able to deposit BTC. We're using cold storage for most of the coin, so these are just for deposits that should realistically then be moved elsewhere.

My current plan is to go with an HD wallet so we can easily generate new per-transaction addresses server-side.

Because you won't be able to spend from these addresses, the tree will look something like M/44'/0'/account'/change/index/

I guess my question is... for the sake of security, should I just be pre-generating a bunch of account' xpubkeys offline and storing them in a table to assign to users as they join? Or is there a way to safely generate the account/change/index/ part of the tree server-side.

I want to obviously assign each user with a unique branch to avoid jumping the gap when generating addresses that won't necessarily receive deposits right away.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 05:50:07 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Since account' is a hardened derivation path, you cannot generate it server side without having the master private key also be server side. So you can either make it unhardened (thus only storing the pubic key for m/44'/0') or just generate a lot of xpubs for each account and regularly refresh the available xpubs manually.

btcstudmuffin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2018, 06:59:47 PM

Awesome, thanks for that. I had been contemplating just generating a bunch of xpubs manually since I only need one per account... seems like that's not a totally crazy idea.

Would it be risky to have account be un-hardened considering that this wallet will never be used for payments? (except for consolidating and moving to other cold storage wallets)

Do you know how various exchanges/etc. deal with this issue?
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2018, 08:21:30 PM

Would it be risky to have account be un-hardened considering that this wallet will never be used for payments? (except for consolidating and moving to other cold storage wallets)
Unhardened derivation is only risky if someone is able to learn the xpub and any of the child private keys. In that case, the xpriv corresponding to the xpub can be derived. So if you think your security if the private keys is good enough, then unhardened is fine.

Do you know how various exchanges/etc. deal with this issue?
I don't think exchanges generally have separate accounts like that dedicated to each user.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: