Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:17:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking The KNC Firmware: Overclocking  (Read 144306 times)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 11:38:06 PM

Basically I had the October Jupiter for a while and basically overclocking is a horrible idea because it has very bad cooling. The cooling is good in an air conditioned room at stock speeds, but if you keep overclocking it, the temps keeps rising and rising.

The October one's were slower to begin with so the margin to overclock was less but I still got decent results with mine, I just added some cheap ram heat sinks to the VRM's and pointed a big fan at them, the november ones were much better though.  Padrino's excellent firmware is very useful for tweaking them too.

Yes I had to do this also. Point a huge fan at the modules in the back but I am only running at stock speeds. Running it overclocked they would probably run at 70-80C.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vegasguy
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1003

"Yobit pump alert software" Link in my signature!

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 12:38:59 AM

With about 7 different mods, the titans can run  VERY cool , AND without burning up the PCI-E cord. The true limit is a couple of dies at 300MHZ and no more than 2 dies at 325MHZ on titan cubes. IF you go beyond that, there is almost a certain chance of burning up the pci-e port inside the cude. With about 7 mods to each cube , the titan will run at 55C-60C all day long. This is one of my cubes that has been running for more than 24 hours. I even offer this service to repair and mod your titan cubes:

http://bitcoinlasvegas.net/kncminer-titan-repair-knc-miner-repair-titan-repair-kncminer-fix/

Vegas

I want to make sure everyone knows that I just released my software called "Yobit pump alert". THis is custom software that uses an algo to detect the start of a pump here on yobit, the second it starts. YOu can even filter the coins you see by price. Most pumps start less than 100 sats , so you can easily filter the cheap coins, so they are the only ones displayed Smiley https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1945937.msg20241953#msg20241953
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
August 16, 2015, 06:54:27 AM

With about 7 different mods, the titans can run  VERY cool , AND without burning up the PCI-E cord. The true limit is a couple of dies at 300MHZ and no more than 2 dies at 325MHZ on titan cubes. IF you go beyond that, there is almost a certain chance of burning up the pci-e port inside the cude. With about 7 mods to each cube , the titan will run at 55C-60C all day long. This is one of my cubes that has been running for more than 24 hours. I even offer this service to repair and mod your titan cubes:

http://bitcoinlasvegas.net/kncminer-titan-repair-knc-miner-repair-titan-repair-kncminer-fix/

Vegas

this is true about 1 month ago I dropped 2 dies down to 300 from the 325 setting on a hot vrm sets and had a 10c drop on the vrm temps as a result .did this for summer use..winter comes i assume i can pop the cube back up to 325 for all again when i don't have summer heat issues

but as to my other cubes running full out at 325mh i guess i'll take my chances (hey..its a race to doorstop status...fun fun) Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
mindtrip
Legendary

Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
August 16, 2015, 02:31:16 PM

These miners are so picky but I think Vega mods are a good Idea I am going to ship him 2 of my cubes and see how he does in his mods in getting them back to life for me
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:35:08 AM

These miners are so picky but I think Vega mods are a good Idea I am going to ship him 2 of my cubes and see how he does in his mods in getting them back to life for me

yeah i have a 1st batch titan with 2 dead dies 1 to a cube each..i suspect that it would simply be a matter of me re-doing the thermal paste ..due to what I heard
of shoddy workmanship when they first came out (wish someone had an archive of knc forums it was on there)

anyway the damn things as are you say do damn picky it is not worth the risk for 1 die dead on a cube

don't want to kill the 'golden goose' such as it is ...again simply a miracle on 2 titan(s) I'm getting 650.1mh so must resist the temptation Smiley

i suspect when they go to door stop status and i do such a thermal paste trick to see what is what it will work like a charm

thats how things usually work Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708

View Profile
August 22, 2015, 09:17:44 PM

Anybody here successful in underclocking and undervolting the original Saturn/Jupiter units from Oct 2013?

These things are currently eating about 1.33Watts/GHS from the wall. Anyway to get them down to 1W/GHS?

I tried the settings in the terminal but all it does is just decreases the speed but the consumption is still capped at around 1.33Watts/GHS

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
djbert

Activity: 462
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 03:12:24 PM

Hello,

has anyone had issues with their Neptune cubes not hashing? basically being completely dead? long story short, I recently got some busted up Neptunes off ebay that listed that they may or may not work. well the only thing that works is the controller board, but all 5 Neptunes are dead. They are detected by the board though, but do not start hashing at all. additionally, the 'advanced' page shows some VRMS with 0 current output, but it seems the temp sensors are working, however the wattage never jumps up past 10 watts or so on any board. I loaded 1.06s and I was hoping to just dust them off, and have them start up, but no luck. I will take any and all troubleshooting advice at this time. thank you!
J4bberwock

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2015, 05:03:16 PM

Hello,

has anyone had issues with their Neptune cubes not hashing? basically being completely dead? long story short, I recently got some busted up Neptunes off ebay that listed that they may or may not work. well the only thing that works is the controller board, but all 5 Neptunes are dead. They are detected by the board though, but do not start hashing at all. additionally, the 'advanced' page shows some VRMS with 0 current output, but it seems the temp sensors are working, however the wattage never jumps up past 10 watts or so on any board. I loaded 1.06s and I was hoping to just dust them off, and have them start up, but no luck. I will take any and all troubleshooting advice at this time. thank you!

I'm not too familiar with them, but they look like dead cores or dead VRMs to me.
Some users here may be able to explain how you can tell the difference between dead core and dead VRM.
Some of my cubes have only 6 or 7 of the VRMs actually showing a normal voltage and amp value.
Some are either very low voltage or very low amps, but I don't care that much since I paid them knowing they weren't perfect.

If by chance you're in EU, I may be interested to buy the full unit (cubes+controller) depending on what you are asking.
One day, I'll find some time to play with the dead units I've collected.

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
mindtrip
Legendary

Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2015, 01:16:52 AM

Anybody here successful in underclocking and undervolting the original Saturn/Jupiter units from Oct 2013?

These things are currently eating about 1.33Watts/GHS from the wall. Anyway to get them down to 1W/GHS?

I tried the settings in the terminal but all it does is just decreases the speed but the consumption is still capped at around 1.33Watts/GHS

I think your out of luck time to upgrade to some newer miners and throw in the towel on those
djbert

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 02:37:45 AM
Last edit: September 30, 2015, 12:16:02 PM by djbert

Hello,

I'm not too familiar with them, but they look like dead cores or dead VRMs to me.
Some users here may be able to explain how you can tell the difference between dead core and dead VRM.
Some of my cubes have only 6 or 7 of the VRMs actually showing a normal voltage and amp value.
Some are either very low voltage or very low amps, but I don't care that much since I paid them knowing they weren't perfect.

If by chance you're in EU, I may be interested to buy the full unit (cubes+controller) depending on what you are asking.

thank you for your reply. I am still playing with them, and hoping for the best still. However, i have been messing with their commands in SSH mode, in particular what 'waas' tells me...here is what i get at this point...

img hosting

i have 4 modules plugged into ports 1-4 on the controller and it seems it is having problems updating the modules' frequencies. I will post more details later today when i get home.
J4bberwock

Activity: 840

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 09:53:40 AM

Hello,

thank for your reply. I am still playing with them, and hoping for the best still. However, i have been messing with the commands in SSH mode, in particular what 'waas' tells...here is what i get at this point...

image hosting no account

i have 4 modules plugged into ports 1-4 on the controller and it seems it is having problems updating the modules' frequencies. I will post more details later today when i get home.

Try to hit reset to factory defaults in the advanced tab.

After that, lower the frequency settings to 400 instead of 475

Custom Server PSU breakout boards, 1200w, 1300w, 2000w, 2880w https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=738527.0
Btc: 1J4bberWs6f6XVQ53gn3BNc8qHAicmm7wu
Ltc: LNDmMBtzD3cduwjfxANm2wDrxt9jXRk5ZP
djbert

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 12:15:37 PM

Hello,

thank for your reply. I am still playing with them, and hoping for the best still. However, i have been messing with the commands in SSH mode, in particular what 'waas' tells...here is what i get at this point...

img hosting

Try to hit reset to factory defaults in the advanced tab.

After that, lower the frequency settings to 400 instead of 475

Thanx for the info, however i have tried just about all frequency combos and voltage levels... no change. The more i mess with the 'waas' command and others, the more it seems like the communication side of the modules is dead. it can very well be possible that the ASIC and VRMs are fine, there is just no way to control them at this point. I have plenty of jupiters now, and when they go 'dead' sometimes, i usually get them back with the 'enablecores.bin' firmware again. i could not find a file like that for the neptunes though, but that would be great at this point! or even a bertmod version with a little more control and/or info on what is going on with the modules.
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:23:02 AM

since KNC miner died, where to find firmware ? its not listed in OP.

yolo
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 7962

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 03:52:41 AM

I just now uploaded the second last update kncminer-1.00.bin file which I believe is for either version of the miner (they used different VRMs after October).  I might have a copy of the tuning version still but a) it will be specific to the septmember version and b) I'll have to look later because it's bed time. Let me know if you need a different version as I'm sure I saved a few.

https://mega.nz/#!l41gjCwa!K7Esp3U7WjK4YQ4miIwzW5UQDlq9Pc78wy8abxGKm0U

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
January 13, 2017, 04:53:19 AM

Should be under here someplace Smiley

https://github.com/KnCMiner

To the best of my recollection these are the Jupiter Images etc

https://github.com/KnCMiner/images

https://github.com/KnCMiner/images/releases

enjoy..they make great space heaters!

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 14, 2017, 02:55:50 AM

Should be under here someplace Smiley

https://github.com/KnCMiner

To the best of my recollection these are the Jupiter Images etc

https://github.com/KnCMiner/images

https://github.com/KnCMiner/images/releases

enjoy..they make great space heaters!

If happen to be looking for Titan firmware check out my firmware here:
http://gentarkincustomtitan.pcriot.com

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Woody20285
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Supporting DMD, ERC & PIO

View Profile
April 04, 2017, 11:04:32 PM

Will the gentarkin firmware work with the Neptune?
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
April 05, 2017, 12:03:22 AM

Will the gentarkin firmware work with the Neptune?

No =( just titan.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:01:30 PM

Any new news with the neptunes?

I just turned on my 2nd gen miners for fun to notice they aren't stable. Some of the dies lose A and W once they start to heat up. Sad

My old 1st gen boxes are still going strong.

Let me know,
Thanks,
astronaut_in_the_sky

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:30:29 AM

Any new news with the neptunes?

I just turned on my 2nd gen miners for fun to notice they aren't stable. Some of the dies lose A and W once they start to heat up. Sad

My old 1st gen boxes are still going strong.

Let me know,
Thanks,

It's not healthy for the miners to do them. What's the environment like around?
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 »
  Print  

Jump to: